What are some really good examples have competitive ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm apart of a couple of clubs and I do research with one of my professors but that's it. I'm a first semester Sophomore and I need advice on what I could do to stand out EC wise. Back home I'm an assistant scout master ( I'm an eagle scout) and I'm apart of the geological society. Does anybody have any advice on what else I could do? Besides shadowing and volunteering at a hospital because I know that's a must. I really want to get into D.O school so an advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to show your altruism, and that you like being around sick and injured people. Examples would be working with disabled children, in a hospice or nursing home.

Habitat for Humanity always impressed me.

Wanna really make a difference? Try the Peace Corps.

So I'm apart of a couple of clubs and I do research with one of my professors but that's it. I'm a first semester Sophomore and I need advice on what I could do to stand out EC wise. Back home I'm an assistant scout master ( I'm an eagle scout) and I'm apart of the geological society. Does anybody have any advice on what else I could do? Besides shadowing and volunteering at a hospital because I know that's a must. I really want to get into D.O school so an advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ronald McDonald house (children)?, Volunteering in a homeless shelter or low-income clinic.

Its more important what you've learned from your EC's. A med school dean of admissions came to our school and said to avoid the checklist mentality of EC's. What stands out is how you write about your EC's in your app and personal statement, and discussing it in your interview. That being said do something you are passionate about so it will come across that way. I worked in a physical therapy clinic and learned more about hands-on techniques similar to OMM and learned I like working in a hospital with patients etc.

I thought it was a lot of fun! If your school doesn't have a chapter, you could organize one.

You could help a local hospital to organize a not-for-profit blood drive. They would love not having to pay for it lol!

EDIT: A few more ideas..
Volunteer for your schools note taking service.
Take a course that gives you credit for traveling abroad.
Teach for America, if you don't mind taking a 2-year break between college and medical school.
If you have an athletic background, start and maintain a club.
ED Scribe, if a hospital near you hires them.
EMT, if you would actually use it.
Monitor Tech, if you would actually use it.

Emt sounds like too much work just for an EC. It's a different story if you actually want to do Emt for a while though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Emt sounds like too much work just for an EC. It's a different story if you actually want to do Emt for a while though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I would agree with this. My experience as a paramedic will serve me very well during the admissions process and in medical school, hopefully. At the very least it has given me some really life altering perspective.

The reason I got so much out of my YEARS as a paramedic, though, is because I worked the majority if that time with no real intentions of going to medical school. This allowed me to treat being a paramedic as a really genuine experience, because I did not have the specter of "how does this help me get into medical school" hanging over my head.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that any EC you do will be extremely valuable, as long as you can abandon the "how does this help me get into medical school" mentality, and adopt the "what are the ways this experience can shape and mold my perspective, or open my mind" mentality.

I know it probably sounds a bit cliche, but I honestly believe it is true.

I would agree with this. My experience as a paramedic will serve me very well during the admissions process and in medical school, hopefully. At the very least it has given me some really life altering perspective.

The reason I got so much out of my YEARS as a paramedic, though, is because I worked the majority if that time with no real intentions of going to medical school. This allowed me to treat being a paramedic as a really genuine experience, because I did not have the specter of "how does this help me get into medical school" hanging over my head.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that any EC you do will be extremely valuable, as long as you can abandon the "how does this help me get into medical school" mentality, and adopt the "what are the ways this experience can shape and mold my perspective, or open my mind" mentality.

I know it probably sounds a bit cliche, but I honestly believe it is true.

Indeed. The reason why I say EMT is too much work "just" for an EC is because from my understanding you have to take at least 1 year of classes and then get certified, right?

Indeed. The reason why I say EMT is too much work "just" for an EC is because from my understanding you have to take at least 1 year of classes and then get certified, right?

For an EMT basic the classes run anywhere from 3 weeks long to an entire semester, depending on where you take it. Then you take the national test and certify in your state. Paramedic takes around 2 years, and you have to be a basic first anyways.

If you're at all interested in working as an EMT i'd look into it. I did it for a while (again, with no intention of going to medical school at the time) and I think the experience really helped.

For an EMT basic the classes run anywhere from 3 weeks long to an entire semester, depending on where you take it. Then you take the national test and certify in your state. Paramedic takes around 2 years, and you have to be a basic first anyways.

If you're at all interested in working as an EMT i'd look into it. I did it for a while (again, with no intention of going to medical school at the time) and I think the experience really helped.

Oh wow. If I knew I could've been an EMT after less than a month of classes I would've done that this year instead of working in a stupid lab.

Not necessarily- some "chains" have accelerated programs- mine was over a summer.

Not necessarily- some "chains" have accelerated programs- mine was over a summer.

Yea, it just depends where you go. Mine was a 3 week course, the junior colleges around here do them over a whole semester. They vary, but I haven't seen one that takes a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I did:

1. EMT-IA certification which led to...
2. Volunteer medical assistant at free clinic (trained in lots of cool stuff) which led to...
3. $20K scholarship to support me for a year while I worked at the free clinic on special projects (huge flu-shot campaign during the H1N1 scare, training volunteer docs on the EMR etc).

Also:
4. Summer volunteer stint with the US Navy on their Mercy hospital ship in Indonesia and East Timor. 2 months total, teaching EMS skills and helping support shore primary care clinics. (EMT-IA certification and some language skills earned me this opportunity).
5. 3 summers (6 days each) at a local summer camp for pediatric oncology patients.

Also I have to admit that at least in my case, it was all about who I knew. Connections were huge in all but the EMT training.

Last edited:
the bottom line, imho, is that any ec you do will be extremely valuable, as long as you can abandon the "how does this help me get into medical school" mentality, and adopt the "what are the ways this experience can shape and mold my perspective, or open my mind" mentality.

+1

Here's what I did:

Also I have to admit that at least in my case, it was all about who I knew. Connections were huge in all but the EMT training.

I don't have that many connects i'm afraid. I was in a summer program during h.s, NYLF on medicine and i know it was during hs but i did take a lot out of it. In fact it was the program that started my interest in medicine. Is this worth putting down on the app ?

I teach at an accelerated EMT program and its 2 weeks long. But its $4000!

I am really on the fence about fast track EMT and Paramedic courses.

I am lead faculty in Dallas at a pretty large program in a teaching hospital. Our EMT course takes 3 months (shift based, meets every third day) and our Paramedic program takes one year (also shift based).

We are flanked by another large teaching hospital that has a paramedic program that lasts 6 months (including clinicals) but meets every day, 0900-1600.

There is also a 2 year associate's program, which includes basic, which meets during the regular semester, with light summer loads I believe.

At any rate, I feel like our one year program is even pushing it for being too short. I mean it is like drinking water from a fire hose, especially considering many students have very little if any hard science background. The other program that is 6 months long is a paramedic conveyor belt, just churning them out. Their primary goal it seems is to get students out to pass the NR exam, regardless of the actual depth of their knowledge.

At the end of the day though, I don't care what field you're in, medicine, music, basket weaving, etc. you have to get your "10,000" hours before you can even begin to say you're getting good at it. Even then, you have a long way to go before you reach peak proficiency (we are never really perfect at anything...we only get to the point where we can keep up with our deficiencies...)

As a paramedic I was too clueless to even "know what I didn't know" before I had 2 years in. I am hoping it won't be the same when I become a physician, in large part due to the experience I have had as a paramedic.

As a paramedic I was too clueless to even "know what I didn't know" before I had 2 years in. I am hoping it won't be the same when I become a physician, in large part due to the experience I have had as a paramedic.

LOL I was a paramedic for a long time before medical school and I definitely thought I was some hot shi!t. Within the first month that I started to have these "aha" moments where I finally started to understand the why's behind why docs did the things they did (or didn't do).

I think the most important part of my experience has been to remind me that I don't know anything about anything.

Here's what I did:

1. EMT-IA certification which led to...
2. Volunteer medical assistant at free clinic (trained in lots of cool stuff) which led to...
3. $20K scholarship to support me for a year while I worked at the free clinic on special projects (huge flu-shot campaign during the H1N1 scare, training volunteer docs on the EMR etc).

Also:
4. Summer volunteer stint with the US Navy on their Mercy hospital ship in Indonesia and East Timor. 2 months total, teaching EMS skills and helping support shore primary care clinics. (EMT-IA certification and some language skills earned me this opportunity).
5. 3 summers (6 days each) at a local summer camp for pediatric oncology patients.

And thats the name of the game. If nothing else in or on the road to med school, Network as much as possible!

LOL I was a paramedic for a long time before medical school and I definitely thought I was some hot shi!t. Within the first month that I started to have these "aha" moments where I finally started to understand the why's behind why docs did the things they did (or didn't do).

I think the most important part of my experience has been to remind me that I don't know anything about anything.

Sometimes the most humbling experiences make for the most lasting lessons.

As someone who is a professional paramedic, please do not do it just for the EC. Our profession is really trying to come into its own as a distinct part of the allied-health spectrum. These diploma mill programs don't need anymore paying customers. Please, please don't. Anyway, it will be much harder after January 1, 2013 because all future paramedic graduates will have to come from programs that are accredited by the Committee on the Accreditation of Allied Health Professionals (specifically CoAEMSP) or who have Letters of Review registered to seek accreditation. Accreditation is a much higher bar to clear and it will hopefully clean-up some of the poorer programs. Paramedic training is finally (slowly) moving in the direction of nursing: associate's as a minimum point of entry with a few sporadic BS programs. EMT is a different story, but it's basically still a semester long class (about 180-200 hours). Going through an accredited program is generally a good idea anyway.

With that being said, I think the key is what someone else has already said: a genuine experience. I have a friend who just graduated from medical school and he said that the EMT-gig isn't a good bet if you don't take it seriously. If you really did it as a profession, then that's a great experience, but if you just took the class as a gold star on your application, not so much. He really had to differentiate himself as a paramedic during the application cycle because some interviewers didn't seem to know the very big difference.

EMT and CNA training seem to be the common entry points into healthcare exposure, but good prehospital care really does require a skilled professional. That goes for EMTs and paramedics. Think about it: Do you want a EMT who is just trying to get their 100 hours of clinical exposure or one that is truly dedicated to the job?

Its more important what you've learned from your EC's. A med school dean of admissions came to our school and said to avoid the checklist mentality of EC's. What stands out is how you write about your EC's in your app and personal statement, and discussing it in your interview. That being said do something you are passionate about so it will come across that way. I worked in a physical therapy clinic and learned more about hands-on techniques similar to OMM and learned I like working in a hospital with patients etc.

+1

If you leave your experience with nothing interesting to reflect on, your 11ty hours lose value.

As someone who is a professional paramedic, please do not do it just for the EC. Our profession is really trying to come into its own as a distinct part of the allied-health spectrum. These diploma mill programs don't need anymore paying customers. Please, please don't. Anyway, it will be much harder after January 1, 2013 because all future paramedic graduates will have to come from programs that are accredited by the Committee on the Accreditation of Allied Health Professionals (specifically CoAEMSP) or who have Letters of Review registered to seek accreditation. Accreditation is a much higher bar to clear and it will hopefully clean-up some of the poorer programs. Paramedic training is finally (slowly) moving in the direction of nursing: associate's as a minimum point of entry with a few sporadic BS programs. EMT is a different story, but it's basically still a semester long class (about 180-200 hours). Going through an accredited program is generally a good idea anyway.

With that being said, I think the key is what someone else has already said: a genuine experience. I have a friend who just graduated from medical school and he said that the EMT-gig isn't a good bet if you don't take it seriously. If you really did it as a profession, then that's a great experience, but if you just took the class as a gold star on your application, not so much. He really had to differentiate himself as a paramedic during the application cycle because some interviewers didn't seem to know the very big difference.

EMT and CNA training seem to be the common entry points into healthcare exposure, but good prehospital care really does require a skilled professional. That goes for EMTs and paramedics. Think about it: Do you want a EMT who is just trying to get their 100 hours of clinical exposure or one that is truly dedicated to the job?

I think what you and I have said is reflective of what most career paramedics would say on the issue. I could not agree more with your point about EMS coming into its own, and we need to avoid watering down our professional base with people who seek to use it SOLELY as a stepping stone.

I am not the type to expect every person who enters EMS to stick with it for their entire career. Heck, the majority of the people who enter EMS have very little interest in EMS anyway, and are looking for that golden firefighter job...at least in my neck of the woods.

The program where I am faculty at just got CoAEMSP accredited, and in all honesty, the most this will do for the profession is weed out the fly by night programs (a very good thing in my opinion) and keep the good programs from letting their standards slip (also a good thing.) It is not the magic bullet we need though. Until an associate's degree at a minimum is mandated for paramedic certification (similar to nursing ed minimums) then we will not be able to compete on stage with the other allied health big boys (i.e. nursing, respiratory therapy, etc.)

It seems to me lately I can categorize all the paramedic students I encounter into a few categories...

Trying to get a job as a firefighter
Trying to get experience and bridge to RN
Trying to build clinical exposure for medical school
Transitioning from military into civilian job
Not sure what else to do with a year of their life

What's missing? People who want to be paramedics!

Also your point about having to differentiate from being an EMT or a paramedic during interviews is good too. I have had to have this discussion also. I have had unique experiences as a paramedic, including pediatric/neonatal transport, flight medicine, international flight medicine (1 year in Saudi Arabia) to name a few. I kind of have to grit my teeth a little when I think about being lumped into the same group with 15 or 20 other applicants who got their EMT certification over a few weeks so they could get clinical exposure. It just means I have to work harder on differentiating my experience.

Ultimately, whether it be EMT, paramedic, MA, CNA, or any of the other relatively quick and easy medical certifications pre-meds are now catching on to...all of these experiences are becoming less and less influential in the admissions process unless you have some actual genuine, quality, substantive, "real" outcomes to discuss in a PS, interview, or other evaluation.

Just my $.02 on the matter...Sorry to be so wordy, but as a career paramedic pursuing medical school, I have a good bit of opinions on the matter!

I think what you and I have said is reflective of what most career paramedics would say on the issue. I could not agree more with your point about EMS coming into its own, and we need to avoid watering down our professional base with people who seek to use it SOLELY as a stepping stone.

I am not the type to expect every person who enters EMS to stick with it for their entire career. Heck, the majority of the people who enter EMS have very little interest in EMS anyway, and are looking for that golden firefighter job...at least in my neck of the woods.

The program where I am faculty at just got CoAEMSP accredited, and in all honesty, the most this will do for the profession is weed out the fly by night programs (a very good thing in my opinion) and keep the good programs from letting their standards slip (also a good thing.) It is not the magic bullet we need though. Until an associate's degree at a minimum is mandated for paramedic certification (similar to nursing ed minimums) then we will not be able to compete on stage with the other allied health big boys (i.e. nursing, respiratory therapy, etc.)

It seems to me lately I can categorize all the paramedic students I encounter into a few categories...

Trying to get a job as a firefighter
Trying to get experience and bridge to RN
Trying to build clinical exposure for medical school
Transitioning from military into civilian job
Not sure what else to do with a year of their life

What's missing? People who want to be paramedics!

Also your point about having to differentiate from being an EMT or a paramedic during interviews is good too. I have had to have this discussion also. I have had unique experiences as a paramedic, including pediatric/neonatal transport, flight medicine, international flight medicine (1 year in Saudi Arabia) to name a few. I kind of have to grit my teeth a little when I think about being lumped into the same group with 15 or 20 other applicants who got their EMT certification over a few weeks so they could get clinical exposure. It just means I have to work harder on differentiating my experience.

Ultimately, whether it be EMT, paramedic, MA, CNA, or any of the other relatively quick and easy medical certifications pre-meds are now catching on to...all of these experiences are becoming less and less influential in the admissions process unless you have some actual genuine, quality, substantive, "real" outcomes to discuss in a PS, interview, or other evaluation.

Just my $.02 on the matter...Sorry to be so wordy, but as a career paramedic pursuing medical school, I have a good bit of opinions on the matter!

Did you work for Saudi Aramco? I have a buddy in the Kingdom doing time as a paramedic.

Totally agree. Accreditation isn't going to fix the problem, but it's a nice step. We need states to step up and demand an Associate's as the entry level.

You're also absolutely right regarding substantive experience. Going through the process now, I've really had to differentiate my application as a professional paramedic. It's my career so it is obviously a large part of my application, having done it for such a long time. The problem is the EMT vs. paramedic differentiation. Depending on where you trained, there is a substantial difference and I feel many people don't know the difference. When I was in undergrad, there were so many pre-meds taking the course that it was overwhelming. When you asked why they were taking the class, they basically said, "To add on one more EC for the application." It's a shame because they are the caliber of people that our profession needs, but they they see it almost like a game. Then, because the course is relatively easy (from a didactic standpoint), they assume the entire profession is "easy." Interestingly, many struggle during the hands on portion. This further reinforces the idea that it's a technical profession, not unlike being a mechanic. When they struggle with a bent knee splint or remembering SAMPLE in the context of a patient assessment, they seem to dismiss it as pedestrian and not worth their time. I saw people with high GPAs really struggle for the first time in their academic career because it involved applying concepts in such a global manner.

The profession doesn't help itself either. These pre-meds go work for less than stellar services where they're picked on for being "brains" or "nerds" and then they carry that grudge. Remember that geek who you poured gravy on in the shower? Yeah, he works in the ED now as a emergency physician and helps dictate your protocols. Strong work.

No, I actually worked for the Saudi government itself...for the Saudi Red Crescent Authority.

It was really amazing, because I was responding to people's homes and other locations in the city just as you would in America, essentially doing 911 response. Talk about getting to know a new culture. I became functional in Arabic (not fluent by any means) and got to do things I never would have been able to otherwise. A truly once in a lifetime experience.

Most of our pilots were Aramco folks, who were offered a better wage by the government, so I was pretty familiar with their aviation division, never met any medics though.

can someone answer post 17?

I think it's because the answer is obvious: no.

Not because the experience wasn't important or life-changing, but because the question is: what have you done since, with that life-changing experience? Do you really want to put down an experience from high school when others are using experience through college, graduate school, and post-graduate professional work experience?

I can't think of a single reason why anyone would use a high school experience to support an application into a graduate program.

I moved overseas after my UG, and before I even knew I wanted to go to medical school. This is maybe not realistic for some people, but living in the third world definitely gave me some good stories to tell come application/interview time. I think you should just do something you like, or something that sets you out of the crowd.

I moved overseas after my UG, and before I even knew I wanted to go to medical school. This is maybe not realistic for some people, but living in the third world definitely gave me some good stories to tell come application/interview time. I think you should just do something you like, or something that sets you out of the crowd.

Doesn't even have to be third world if you play your cards right :cool:

I think I should briefly mention it because it was a major part of my decision to become a doctor.