What are some ways to advertise a solo psychiatry practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justclouds9000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some ways to advertise a new cash-only solo psychiatry practice? Where do most people practicing in that setting get their patient referrals?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Develop relationships with PCPs and therapists in the community.

Yup, meeting in person helps a lot. And when they refer, contact them back soon to thank them for the referral. Provide them a summary of your assessment and plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Develop relationships with PCPs and therapists in the community.

This is the advice most PP folks I’ve talked to offer. Find other non-prescribers (god I hate that term), introduce yourself, and let them know you’re taking patients.

At least in my neck of the woods, many therapists don’t seem to have much in the way of providers to refer patients for for medication management other than the large medical centers. I imagine meeting with them personally would go a long way to getting referrals.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the advice most PP folks I’ve talked to offer. Find other non-prescribers (god I hate that term), introduce yourself, and let them know you’re taking patients.

At least in my neck of the woods, many therapists don’t seem to have much in the way of providers to refer patients for for medication management other than the large medical centers. I imagine meeting with them personally would go a long way to getting referrals.
That's why politicians are always "pressing flesh".

I'm starting a private practice in NYC and I've been finding it hard to actually reach local PCPs by email or phone as most work in group practices that have front desk gatekeepers. Does anyone have any advice to get in touch with PCPs in larger cities such as NYC or LA?

Last edited:
I'm starting a private practice in NYC and I've been finding it hard to actually reach local PCPs by email or phone as most work in group practices that have front desk gatekeepers. Does anyone have any advice to get in touch with PCPs in larger cities such as NYC or LA?

Just a helpful hint: this is a low yield unless you take Medicare and are geriatric focused. Think about the prime PCP coverage. Think about the typical psychiatry case load. Half of my patients don't have PCPs, and the other half see one every other year--I'm sure the PCP wouldn't be the one remember to refer them to me.