What are some ways to strengthen my application for the NHSC scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M1 student and very interested in the NHSC scholarship. I know it is very competitive and wondering what I can do before when the application deadline is. I am hoping to find ways to volunteer for the underserved in my community. Does anyone that received the scholarship have any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an M1 student and very interested in the NHSC scholarship. I know it is very competitive and wondering what I can do before when the application deadline is. I am hoping to find ways to volunteer for the underserved in my community. Does anyone that received the scholarship have any advice? Thanks!

It can be a bit difficult to know what the application committee is looking for in awarding the scholarship. I was pulled from the "wait list" as a M1 in 2005 but never really learned why. I believe that more weight is placed on applicants who come from a rural (less so urban underserved) backgrounds, who are of minority race, and who are from financially disadvantaged background. I would recommend answering questions with the goal of convincing the NHSC that you want to work in a rural impoverished community and are great at group/collaborative work. If you know someone with close ties to HRSA or the NHSC, I would aim to have them be once of your LOR. I wouldn't worry too much about volunteer experience. Every applicant will have listed experience that is sugar coated and difficult to distinguish for those reviewing the applications.

Reactions: 1 user