What are some weaknesses of U.S. medical education???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

Nikki

Guys,

Could guys give me some suggestions of medically related educational experiences that aren't easily obtained in most U.S. medical schools but can be studied through formal education or research abroad. One example that I had in mind may be alternative medicine. The reason that I'm asking is that I'm trying to think of a program of study relating to public health/medicine in a latin american country. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeap, you got it.
I have a few friends who went into alternative medicine simply because the MD experience doesn't give enough exposure to DO type stuff unless the student takes elective classes/another program due to his/her own choice. I myself believe in ayurveda, and think it has many benefits the MD program may not incorporate.

What stems from this is doctors who are't exposed to enough alternative medicine, that they don't feel comfortable offering it in their practice. DO's on the other hand, aren't given their dues in certain places, which emphasizes the bridge b/w allopathic and alternative medicine even more.

So basically, I agree with ya!

Tweets

The lack of cultural sentivity training within a medical/clinical context although I do think that this is becoming better nowadays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Care of the dying.
Nutrition.
Abortion.

Because Osteopathic Medicine, along with Allopathic Medicine are both "US Medical Education", and because this topic has nothing at all with applying to or being accepted to Allopathic medical school, it's going to the Everyone forum.