What are Sub-internships and are they Important for DOs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The DO school in considering has a medicine subI, and a surgery subI in 4th year along with some other rotations. Thing is I hate surgery and pretty sure I don't want to go into it. Im interested in medicine and psych, is there any way I could do a psych subI.

Members don't see this ad.

The DO school in considering has a medicine subI, and a surgery subI in 4th year along with some other rotations. Thing is I hate surgery and pretty sure I don't want to go into it. Im interested in medicine and psych, is there any way I could do a psych subI.

Every school has a different way they are set up for 3rd and 4th year, but you will have to take IM, surgery and psych to graduate. 4th year is a different story. Your school may have a requirement on electives or other stipulations. If you want to do tons of psych then, by all means, sign yourself up for 4th year electives in psych. Typically, they don't force people to do certain rotations in 4th year except for neuro or EM. Some schools may have primary care requirements.

Does this answer your question? Not sure I 100% understand it.

You can still fill up your electives with what you want, but the sub-I has to be in the designated area.

Members don't see this ad :)

If your school requires a medicine and surgery subI, you have to do a medicine and surgery subI. You don't have a choice. Not all subIs are created equal, however. Some are hard, some are easy, and some are a joke. Just sign up for the joke subIs. You'll be fine.

I'd recommend doing at least one ICU rotation as a 4th year. Many interns seem uncomfortable with the icu. I did 2 ICU electives as a med student and I had no trouble adjusting to residency.

I would just rather not do another surgery rotation 4th year

Reactions: 1 user
Actually I looked at the curriculum again, and it said

medicine-subI /elective

surgery subI/elective

does that mean I an take an elective instead of the Sub Is?

Actually I looked at the curriculum again, and it said

medicine-subI /elective

surgery subI/elective

does that mean I an take an elective instead of the Sub Is?
I know what school you are talking about ;)...In any case, from what the catalog says, it looks like you have can do the assigned subI OR the elective.