What are the advantages of going to a top teir medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopa Jay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides gaining the right to spout off and say, "oh I went to Harvard" what is the difference between the degrees? I mean, at the end of the day, isn't getting into the rescidency you want entirely up to you? What specifically are the general advantages of going to a top tier school beyond bragging rights and posh facilities?

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What I see usually talked abt -
  • reputation (can matter for getting residency interviews, not just personal bragging rights)
  • research resources
  • all other types of resources
  • the people mentoring and recommending you
  • connection to your associated hospital system. Often top schools will also have some great residencies at their same hospital, and inbreeding is massive - take a glance at the number of Hopkins grads going into Hopkins residencies or Harvard into Harvard/MGH/BWH
If you haven't already, see this recent thread. If it is true that these Top Whatever programs have step averages that are barely above the national median (middle to high 230s instead of 230) then their match lists are ridiculously strong.

Reactions: 1 user
Image 12.png

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.