What are the best anatomy flashcards to buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Fox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was wondering, what are the best anatomy flashcards to study with in medical school? I will be starting this August and our first module will be Anatomy. I've heard of Netter or Barron, but I honestly have absolutely no experience with either of them. Also, are there any other study aids that you suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Netter's are pretty decent as far as commercial flash cards though, but I only ended up using them for musculoskeletal. Flashcards stop becoming useful (at least commercial flash cards) after you have to start learning cranial nerve sympathetic/parasympathetic/types of axon pathways and stuff because its more of a map than discrete facts. Anatomy is all about learning relationships and connections, so flashcards will only get you so far.

Essential Anatomy app for iphone/ipad/mac is absolutely wonderful (mac is the best and the most expensive, but ipad is the most convenient and is cheaper).

Netter's anatomy atlast is pretty good (it's always good to have an atlas for reference)

http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/m1/anatomy2010/html/courseinfo/mich_quiz_index.html This website has great practice questions

There's also a really good youtube series that goes through dissections but I never used it and I can't remember what it's called, but some people swore by it.

First and foremost go off of what you learn in lecture and lab. All of these things are supplemental.

Reactions: 1 user
I bought Netter's flashcards, but to be honest I haven't used them yet. You will find that you probably won't have time to use a dozen different resources when you are studying. Between lecture powerpoints, lab dissections, occasional YouTube videos, practice quizzes provided by our professors, and the actual Netter's Atlas, I've been able to learn everything without the need to add more resources.

I would see if you could buy them used off an M2 that doesn't want them anymore if you feel you would learn best from flashcards, but buying them new hasn't been worth it for me so far. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Netter's flashcards + Rohen's atlas were all I needed. Studied using the flashcards until I had everything down fairly well and then tried to identify it all in Rohen's, which has pictures of dissections rather than drawings. I agree you should pick one or two resources and stick with them

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all of your advice! I will stick to the supplements I decide to get. I'm definitely getting Rohen's Atlas with whatever I choose to get