What are the best majors for acceptance into medical school?

Mar 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a freshman in college as of right now. I am currently a philosophy major. Is this a good major for acceptance into medical school? I know science majors are the typical ones, i was just wondering what other majors are also good.

Thanks!

Ibn Rushd

10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
Philosophy is a great major! It'll definitely help you stand out. The majority of applicants are biology majors, and a large part of the application process is about being unique. It's hard to be unique when tens of thousands of other applicants share your major.

You can major in whatever you like as long as you also take the medical school prerequisites (a year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and math) and take the MCAT.

Last edited:

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
Yeah but I think the majority (bio majors) is shrinking. Many, many people have many, many different majors in med school. Its better to chose one you love and will do well with, than trying to pick what you think looks good to adcoms. This goes for your major, EC's, LOR's, etc.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Whatever major you will enjoy the most and get excellent grades in. As long as you take Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, O-Chem 1&2 and Physics 1&2, it matters not.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anything that doesn't end with 'ology' or 'istry'.

Examples: Econ, Astrophysics, Cognitive Science, Business, Finance, Accounting, Studies, Humanities.

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just pick something that you find interesting and can do well in. If it is something besides chem/bio then add in the necessary pre-reqs. You don't want to be burnt out on material you don't care about, there'll be plenty of time for that later ;)

alexlex143

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
I say a double major in English and Biology with a minor in Mathematics =]

GregoryMD

EMT-B
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2009
Tucson
Status
Pre-Medical
I think humanities majors are underrated. What use is a science-centric major when any *real* work in that specific subject is masters or PhD level? Unless someone is actually interested in that specific subject.

But humanities majors, while the degree themselves tend to be limiting/over saturated, since your major for med school admissions doesn't matter, they give you more of a rounded experience. I'm doing a B.S. in Psychology, which on its own isn't unique at all. And a bachelor's in psychology is practically useless. But it's an interesting subject, and the pre-med reqs pretty much cover all of my degree's normal science requirements, so all that is left are the psych classes I'm interested in. And since in any field you enter you'll interact with people, the subject of Psychology is rather useful.

As for the difficulty, the fact it is an easier major matters not. That is what the MCAT and pre-reqs are for. Why should I major in astrophysics and take mind-boggling difficult physics classes when a good MCAT, and solid grades in Bio, Chem, O-Chem, and Physics already shows my ability to take on harder (relatively) material?

Plus a major I'm more interested in gives me better talking points in an interview, and I can easily hype up Psychology much more than a chem or bio major in my case.

Aug 6, 2009
TX
Status
Medical Student
Do whatever major you want, but as long as your science GPA (bio/chem/physics) is high, it probably won't make a huge difference. You just gotta show the adcoms you can handle a heavy science curriculum :D

IDoIt4Love

Breathe...just believe.
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
steps to choosing a major if you're pre-med
1) find the majors you will do well in
2) pick the one(s) you are most interested in
3) make sure the major isn't so demanding that it interferes with your ability to take and study for your science pre-reqs, as well as a few upper level bio classes (some schools want to see that you can do well in higher-level science courses, regardless of your major, and won't be impressed if no demonstration of this has been made-- so take 2 or 3 of those.)

remember that many non-science majors still take additional science courses, apart from the med school pre-reqs. as a psych major, I took human anatomy, biochem and some neuroscience courses (which were also put towards fulfilling my major). go a step further and take cell bio and genetics, too. make sure you have room in your schedule for classes like these--the exposure they provide make your first year of med school a bit less stressful.

Trexate

Competitive Inhibitor
Apr 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Comp Sci

Anything else is for nubs.

lejeunesage

7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I am a freshman in college as of right now. I am currently a philosophy major. Is this a good major for acceptance into medical school? I know science majors are the typical ones, i was just wondering what other majors are also good.

Thanks!
Philosophy actually sounds pretty cool. Just make sure you have a high science GPA and a good MCAT score.

SirGecko

Go Navy
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Any major can get you in to medical school but real men (and women) do engineering.

Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Thanks!
There is no "one" major. Although, having a tough major certainly helps in the sense that if you have a good GPA, it makes you stand out (Chemical Engineering, for example, over communications)

GatorPhD

Moon River!!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
This is a helpful guide.

:D

J/K. I did a postbac program, so I know tons of folks with non-traditional majors. The best performers on the MCAT were all English, Philosophy, and Religion majors. I am a mathematician and got stomped by these folks. Have fun in college and study what you want.

Good luck,
Gator

Attachments

basementcat

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
This is an interesting table of med school acceptance rates by major:

http://www.knox.edu/statistics.xml

It's from 1999, but you'd think some of the overall trends would still hold.

The only majors listed with acceptance rates over 50% are anthropology, English, economics, history, and "natural science" (whatever that means). People who double-majored in two non-sciences had an acceptance rate of 51%, while people who double-majored in a science and a non-science had the highest acceptance rate at 59%.