What are the career options of a PharmD/PhD graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the career options of a PharmD/PhD graduate?
If it is going to be in research then couldn't a PhD does the same job for me?
If so, i dont get it why the recruiters are always trying to recruite for the dual program.
Can anybody help me and tell me the advantages of a PharmD/PhD program? and what makes it special over a PharmD alone or a PhD alone ?

Pleaze share your thoughts with me. I have an interview in a week and i have to make a decision.
If you know some websites or sources that explain the differences and advantages of the dual program please share with me.

Members don't see this ad.

well PHD is mainly for research and some times industry side ONLY

with a PhD unless u hav eligibility and cleared he NAPLEX u cant work as a pharmacist.

Pharm D is mainl a clinical degree where u can get into hospital. clinical and retail pharmacy...

u can get into industry may be,, but marketing departments are takin PharmDs who hav had Retail experince...

Pharm D/Phd dual degree would be a great program if you want to keep your options open but it will take a whole lot of course work as PhD involes a lot fo lab work and Pharm D involves a whole lot of course work.
SO this dual degree will pretty much take all your time for 4-5 yrs depending on the lenght of the program

and also PhD is not for every one. It depennds on your personality and your ability to work hard. and your interest in research.

I wanted to take tha option but realised i wont give justice to any of he two programs if i take em together to first planning to do my Pharm D and then later an MBA or PhD if i get intersted.. PhD might not be an option cos i all ready have BS and Pharm D will probably be my last educational degree

And you wil be given a Dr. for both Pharm D and a PhD.

In the end it depends on your interest.

Cheers!