What are the chances of a Canadian getting into a US med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myst

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One that has a 3.2 GPA, and 34 MCAT
I found this from a website
"In 2004, only 94 foreign (non-U.S.) students entered the first year class at a U.S. medical school. So, greater than 99% of students that are accepted and matriculate at a U.S. medical school are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. "

is this true??

Members don't see this ad.

myst said:
"In 2004, only 94 foreign (non-U.S.) students entered the first year class at a U.S. medical school. So, greater than 99% of students that are accepted and matriculate at a U.S. medical school are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. "

is this true??

It may be close to that since there are limited number of schools that take foreign students. Also even the ones that take foreign students, there's probably less than 5 in a class.

just out of curiosity, why are you looking to go to the states?

Members don't see this ad :)
myst said:

is this true??

My roommate's sister had a 4.0 w/ a dual science major. She also had craploads of volunteering, a year working in a hospital, I dunno about the MCAT and she went PhD cuz she was "foreign" even though she completed her 4 years/dual major at a US school. So, I would assume that the statement above is accurate.

You should also take into account that alot fewer canadians than americans apply to american med schools. Many (private) schools have no preference for american schools over canadian. I spent a long time looking (I'm from ontario, did my undergrad in the states), PM me if you want.

myst said:

is this true??
My friends and I call black people Canadians so as not to offend them. If this is what you are referring to, I would say your chances are pretty good. ;)

Im a brown canadian ;)

But do you think that the stat is correct? only 94??

Those stats don't include Canadians.

Most school don't consider Canadians Ehhh as international students. I dought that AMCAS places us under international applicant.

Reason: LCME and AAMC cover US and Canadian Medical schools.

Back to the real question at hand. You have 3.2 and 34 MCAT. Your MCAT is great. Your GPA is not so good. Unless you do a Masters degree or you boost that GPA. Your chances are slim in Canadian or US schools (assuming you don't have green card or residency in the US).

atrovariousg said:
My friends and I call black people Canadians so as not to offend them. If this is what you are referring to, I would say your chances are pretty good. ;)

Not even worth answering. No matter how cute you may have thought this comment to be.

docbill said:
Those stats don't include Canadians.

Most school don't consider Canadians Ehhh as international students. I dought that AMCAS places us under international applicant.

Reason: LCME and AAMC cover US and Canadian Medical schools.

Back to the real question at hand. You have 3.2 and 34 MCAT. Your MCAT is great. Your GPA is not so good. Unless you do a Masters degree or you boost that GPA. Your chances are slim in Canadian or US schools (assuming you don't have green card or residency in the US).
even in the worst US schools?
private ones?

I hate to say this but YES. Even in the worst US allopathic schools. UNLESS YOU HAVE STATE RESIDENCY.

Now if you are interested, You should look into Osteopathic Medical Schools. You will become a Physician as well. Equal to allopathic in everyway. ASSUMING YOU ARE OKAY WITH THE PHILOSOPHY AND LEARNING OSTEOPATHIC MANIPULATION. DO schools will look at at other aspects of your application that will make up for your lower GPA. -example if you are an older applicant... they will take that into consideration. -example if you have work experience
-or if you had a bad start but then can prove you are doing better now. Example your MCAT score really high... so that demonstrates that you are capable.

As a DO you can work in most of Canada with little problem and some places like Ontario and NB, you won't even need to do exams to get license.

docbill said:
I hate to say this but YES. Even in the worst US allopathic schools. UNLESS YOU HAVE STATE RESIDENCY.

Now if you are interested, You should look into Osteopathic Medical Schools. You will become a Physician as well. Equal to allopathic in everyway. ASSUMING YOU ARE OKAY WITH THE PHILOSOPHY AND LEARNING OSTEOPATHIC MANIPULATION. DO schools will look at at other aspects of your application that will make up for your lower GPA. -example if you are an older applicant... they will take that into consideration. -example if you have work experience
-or if you had a bad start but then can prove you are doing better now. Example your MCAT score really high... so that demonstrates that you are capable.

As a DO you can work in most of Canada with little problem and some places like Ontario and NB, you won't even need to do exams to get license.
thank you =)

anyone know anything about schools in ireland, uk, hungary or carribean schools?

anyone know anything about schools in ireland, uk, hungary or carribean schools