What are the chances of finding a career in Florida or Hawaii ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolibearMain

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The weather and life style is attractive.

Members don't see this ad.

having lived on Oahu and trying to find a podiatrist to shadow, there aren't too many over there and probably not too much room for more. My friend had shadowed a different podiatrist than me there and that particular one would go to some of the other islands once a month since there weren't any on some of them. I too would love to practice there one day...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rumor has it, the APMA has 14 members in Hawaii.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I was kind of surprised to see Calfornia with such a low income. Im pretty sure the Podiatrist I shadowed (private practice) made $175 k a year and said that was low, Kaiser started their pods at around $200

I was kind of surprised to see Calfornia with such a low income. Im pretty sure the Podiatrist I shadowed (private practice) made $175 k a year and said that was low, Kaiser started their pods at around $200

Makes sense. As a private practice you need to keep a steady stream of patients coming in and worry about overhead/billing/hiring.

Kaiser being Kaiser has a nice base salary + RVU + benefits, but in reality the podiatrists working there may be churning out much more money because of referrals/Xrays/anything else they use within Kaiser facilities.

This topic is hashed out pretty well in the residents forum if you can find it. Bottom line is, if they're paying you 200k and taking you on for a 3 year contract, chances are you're making more than that for them through labs/referral services to other departments in the hospital.

Makes sense. As a private practice you need to keep a steady stream of patients coming in and worry about overhead/billing/hiring.

Kaiser being Kaiser has a nice base salary + RVU + benefits, but in reality the podiatrists working there may be churning out much more money because of referrals/Xrays/anything else they use within Kaiser facilities.

This topic is hashed out pretty well in the residents forum if you can find it. Bottom line is, if they're paying you 200k and taking you on for a 3 year contract, chances are you're making more than that for them through labs/referral services to other departments in the hospital.

I have seen similar topics,.

If so is true though, then why would someone ever opt to work privately? It's so much more stress and strain to worry about.

I cant say much in terms of workload for podiatrists, but I know an MD Pediatrician who was working for Kaiser but quit because she said they work their doctors like crazy and expect to earn every cent that they pay them (which also happens to be quite a lot). She took a pay cut and is working elsewhere now. And a podiatrist straight out of residency I shadowed said that Kaiser had offered her 200k+ but she accepted another position elsewhere in a private practice (making more actually but that's another topic...). I mean it's purely anecdotal but Kaiser expects a lot but will pay very well compared to private practice salaries that I see on this forum and "average" wages.

If so is true though, then why would someone ever opt to work privately? It's so much more stress and strain to worry about.

People work privately for the freedom it offers. Vacation when you want/need. Freedom from bosses or people telling you what to do. You can work your practice however you want. Have employees under you. No one is going to try to restructure your contract after 3 years and shaft you. Job stability (depending on how your practice is going). There are a lot of pros and cons to both working in a private practice or somewhere like a hospital. Depends on what you like or what you can handle. And maybe in a private practice you start off making less, but as it grows it has the potential to make a lot.

I cant say much in terms of workload for podiatrists, but I know an MD Pediatrician who was working for Kaiser but quit because she said they work their doctors like crazy and expect to earn every cent that they pay them (which also happens to be quite a lot). She took a pay cut and is working elsewhere now. And a podiatrist straight out of residency I shadowed said that Kaiser had offered her 200k+ but she accepted another position elsewhere in a private practice (making more actually but that's another topic...). I mean it's purely anecdotal but Kaiser expects a lot but will pay very well compared to private practice salaries that I see on this forum and "average" wages.

200 K would be awesome. Ill definitely work hard in podiatry school to get that solid job.
I am an engineer by degree and currently getting paid 90K a year doing a basic job straight out of college. I mainly dreaded ending up in one of those podiatry jobs that pay less than 100 K

Reactions: 1 users
200 K would be awesome. Ill definitely work hard in podiatry school to get that solid job.
I am an engineer by degree and currently getting paid 90K a year doing a basic job straight out of college. I mainly dreaded ending up in one of those podiatry jobs that pay less than 100 K

I made 120 from music lessons last weekend.

Sitting pretty well myself.

One reason people work private practice is because that is where the majority of the jobs are at right now. Although the percentage of pods working in hospitals/ortho groups/multispecialty groups is increasing, the majority of jobs available are still in private practice. It is still viable to be in private practice and there are pods that make a lot of money in private practice. Some went into medicine to be their own boss and enjoy the business side of it. All jobs will have aspects of it that aren't great.

One reason people work private practice is because that is where the majority of the jobs are at right now. Although the percentage of pods working in hospitals/ortho groups/multispecialty groups is increasing, the majority of jobs available are still in private practice. It is still viable to be in private practice and there are pods that make a lot of money in private practice. Some went into medicine to be their own boss and enjoy the business side of it. All jobs will have aspects of it that aren't great.

So would you say hospitals are a lot more competitive to acquire a job in? For me my family is already wealthy. I enjoy medicine thats why I chose podiatry.
I found private practices really boring but from seeing the hustle and bustle of Highland hospital in Oakland it seemed like my kind of job/ life style.

So would you say hospitals are a lot more competitive to acquire a job in? For me my family is already wealthy. I enjoy medicine thats why I chose podiatry.
I found private practices really boring but from seeing the hustle and bustle of Highland hospital in Oakland it seemed like my kind of job/ life style.
Yes, there are less of them out there so they tend to be competitive. And I think you may be generalizing too much from your experiences. Some doctors in private practice have very busy practice with complex pathology and lots of surgery and inpatients. Private practice does not equal chip and clip necessarily. And being employed by a hospital does not mean necessarily that you will be the guy doing big cases. Hospitals will hire podiatrists to do just wound care. Some hire non-operative outpatient only podiatrists. It might even be easier in private practice to set up your practice exactly to your liking. If you are employed by a hospital, they will typically dictate (to some degree) what you do, but if you are your own boss, you can craft your practice any way you want.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, there are less of them out there so they tend to be competitive. And I think you may be generalizing too much from your experiences. Some doctors in private practice have very busy practice with complex pathology and lots of surgery and inpatients. Private practice does not equal chip and clip necessarily. And being employed by a hospital does not mean necessarily that you will be the guy doing big cases. Hospitals will hire podiatrists to do just wound care. Some hire non-operative outpatient only podiatrists. It might even be easier in private practice to set up your practice exactly to your liking. If you are employed by a hospital, they will typically dictate (to some degree) what you do, but if you are your own boss, you can craft your practice any way you want.

With podiatry being a pass/fail system for board exams. How exactly does one set themselves up for a hospital based career vs private practice?

With podiatry being a pass/fail system for board exams. How exactly does one set themselves up for a hospital based career vs private practice?
Boards parts 1-3 don't matter unless you fail them and can't move on. All residencies are basically hospital-based and have varying amounts of inpatient/outpatient exposure. Depending on what you plan on doing in practice, whether private or hospital-based, you should look for a residency that will leave the most possibilities open. If you want to be the only foot and ankle guy in town and do a little of everything, look for a well-rounded residency. If you want to specialize in total ankle replacements, look for a residency/fellowship that will prepare you for those cases. And a little bit of it is just luck/networking/and selling yourself to whoever is hiring. If you look at the job search thread in the resident/physician forum, you'll see how a few residents went about finding hospital-based or private practice jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
Boards parts 1-3 don't matter unless you fail them and can't move on. All residencies are basically hospital-based and have varying amounts of inpatient/outpatient exposure. Depending on what you plan on doing in practice, whether private or hospital-based, you should look for a residency that will leave the most possibilities open. If you want to be the only foot and ankle guy in town and do a little of everything, look for a well-rounded residency. If you want to specialize in total ankle replacements, look for a residency/fellowship that will prepare you for those cases. And a little bit of it is just luck/networking/and selling yourself to whoever is hiring. If you look at the job search thread in the resident/physician forum, you'll see how a few residents went about finding hospital-based or private practice jobs.
When you say they do not matter, are you saying that as long as you pass, a good residency is attainable?

When you say they do not matter, are you saying that as long as you pass, a good residency is attainable?
Well, I was specifically meaning that boards 1-3 don't matter in terms of getting a job directly. But yes, when it comes to residency, since they're pass/fail, it's simply a hurdle to jump over. It's nothing that sets you apart from the other people competing for a residency.