Medical What are the chances of matching Ortho/Neurosurgery as a DO student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very fortunate to receive a couple of acceptances, but I have a bit of a problem. One of the few specialties I want to go into are ortho/neurosurgery with a focus on the spine (my other choices include diagnostic radiology and PM&R with the appropriate SCI/spine fellowship), but they are very MD-friendly.

As an undergrad senior who was dismissed from an early assurance program due to grades just below the cutoff, getting a "bad" MCAT score (mid-high 500s), and a noted struggle with biology classes (3 B/B+s, couple A-s and no As), I am wondering what does it really take to get into ortho/neurosurgery as a DO other than scoring high on COMLEX and maybe USMLE (if they keep quartiles as scoring) and killing rotations? I also plan on doing research as well.

I know I probably may change my mind and I haven't had my white coat ceremony yet, but I want to have a realistic picture of what I'm getting into. I'm not planning on flunking out a second time.

Both are very competitive, especially as a DO unfortunately. With the AOA match gone, there are no protected spots for those competitive fields. It is possible, but it's not common. However, it may take a year or 2 to really gather what PDs will be looking to the most with the new Step 1 being P/F. The most likely thing is Step 2 scores. Both of which will be needed for both of those fields and fellowships. Research is also a must. Even my MD counter-parts who went for neurosurgery - some of them took a year between 2nd and 3rd year or between 3rd and 4th year to do research for one or the other.

DR and PM&R you will be fine. DR is a mix of both, and I have a bunch of friends who had great turn outs for ACGME DR. PM&R is extremely DO friendly as it is.

I wouldn't throw the idea out by any means, but I would not go to med school banding on NS or Ortho - regardless of MD or DO, just a little more so DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Your academic history is not one of those who match into NSG or Ortho, whether DO or MD.

The odds are about 50% that as a DO you'll end up in FM or IM. Ortho will be very difficult, NSG close to, but not impossible.

I also agree regarding academic history typically seen for NSG and Ortho.

I appreciate the advice Goro and MusicDOc. While my academic history is terrible and probably should’ve taken a gap year, I view it as a humbling experience, and I hope this post doesn’t exude any arrogance/ignorance on my part.

I know that matching to NSG and Ortho are very hard as is and it’s still too early to decide, so I have planned on going to med school with an open mind. During my second year once I’m established with academics and ECs I’ll decide what’s best for me at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.