1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are the chances of me messing up this cycle?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Overachiever900, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Overachiever900

20 interviews, 5-7 a month from now until December. Half in the top 20 and the other in the top 40. Good social skills, generally likable, and a team player. I don't have a problem with public speaking or talking to people. I'm not a weirdo and I dress well. I've done two so far and plan to take each one that I attend very seriously. I've gotten ego boost at both schools so far which is really strange for me. Interviewers told me something along the lines of, "what can we do to make you come here" and you will have to make some very difficult decisions. Anyhow, I'm not gonna let that get to my head as it's just not my personality. I will absolutely not reapply if I don't get in this year because I wouldn't know what to change. I feel good about my situation but now my friends and family are placing this pressure on me as if I'm going to get in everywhere and I really don't like that. Any suggestions as to what I can do to not blow this incredible opportunity?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BrCo

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Stop being arrogant. Stop with the humble brag. Actually it's really just a brag. Also, interview does NOT equal acceptance. Going off of what interviewers say about you is a good way to be disappointed and let down later in the cycle. Do you know how many times I've heard someone say, "I don't understand how I didn't get in, they all but told me I'm in."

4. ColorfulBlue

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    If each of the twenty schools that you interviewed at accepted 33% of their interviewees randomly, then the probability of not receiving a single acceptance this cycle is: (0.67^20) = 0.00033 or 0.033 %.

AspiringERMD likes this.
  5. Saxappeal1

Saxappeal1 MS-4
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This kind of reminds me of when undergrads first get to college and someone asks them what year they are in and they say "Oh, I'm a sophomore by credits" when they are a freshman. Might be true, but keep it to yourself. No one likes that guy.

Rinya, Uafl112, intlerror and 7 others like this.
  6. ColorfulBlue

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I know people who have been a "senior by credit" for over 2 years. They were seniors when I was a sophomore and they are still seniors when I am a senior. I like these people. They hang around and wait for others to catch up.

7. Saxappeal1

Saxappeal1 MS-4
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ^^ Not all others "wait for others to catch up." I was referring to those who do it pridefully or arrogantly.

8. sashka1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    strong troll/10

IL Pre Med, Goro and Saxappeal1 like this.
  9. Overachiever900

wasn't trying to troll really. But if it seems like it, just disregard my post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Overachiever900

Had I wanted to troll I would have thrown stats into the equation or something a little more out there with names of schools and what not....anyhow, wasn;t trying to brag either but reading this now again it does seem a little cocky and arrogant. Was not my intention.

11. Overachiever900

I was actually hoping to get something like this. Does anyone know where I can get numbers on how many a school accepts from the pool they interview? I didn't want to ask this at the interview day,

12. claduva94

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Someone with 20 interviews should not have to ask this question. Honestly it is common sense. Your post serves absolutely no purpose other than making you seem pompous. And the following line really makes me question your motivation:
    Anyhow, I'm not gonna let that get to my head as it's just not my personality. I will absolutely not reapply if I don't get in this year because I wouldn't know what to change.
    To me, and quite a few people here, there is one quite obvious trait you could work on. As for numbers, USNews will serve you well.

Rinya and Ace Khalifa like this.
  13. Overachiever900

Well I didn't mean to rustle anyone's jimmies. Seriously. How in the hell is that common sense? Are you kidding me? I have the MSAR, checked US news, checked google? Unless I have to pay for something extra I'm not sure how it's common sense and how it has anything to do with how many interviews I received. Anyhow, I'm gonna stay off these forums. Seems like you guys are way too serious or are just used to getting trolled.

14. Overachiever900

My last words in this forum are that you guys are reading way too much into this. I realized what I wrote sounded very arrogant and pompous, but its too late to change that. I could have framed my situation better. Anyhow, I wish you guys all a very successful cycle.

No need to chime into this thread unless you wanna bash me some more. Won't matter though because I won't be reading it.

Good day to you all.

15. claduva94

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    It is on US News College Compass. It is like $30. And the point is, with 20 interviews, you will net an acceptance if you manage not to make a total ass out of yourself. At this point if you can put together some decent interviews you will be golden.

16. Bovary

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    K bye!

Rinya and claduva94 like this.
  17. johnnytest

johnnytest MS-2
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lol wth did i just read?

demystifie likes this.
  18. Zelda840

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Be humble and respectful in your interviews and I don't think you'll have any problems.

19. godawg300

20 interviews is pretty good. Wouldn't be surprised if op got into at least a bunch of schools if they go to all of them

20. knv2u

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Stop being arrogant. There is nothing more off putting to an adcom than a premedical student who thinks that he or she is god's gift to medicine. Whether that was your intent or not, if is the way you come off. If you leave that impression with adcoms, even if you have a 4.0 GPA, 45 MCAT score, and a 1000 hours of research, I could see you being rejected for your demeanor.

Goro likes this.
  21. pink/\floyd

2+ Year Member

-_-

claduva94 likes this.
  22. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you truly have MSAR, then look at the Acceptance Information tab for each school. For top schools, the ratio of interviews to accepts is ~5 to 7:1.

23. godawg300

I think MSAR only has number of interviews and number matriculated. Schools accept more than that from US news. Usually about 35-45 percent of those interviewed. Sometimes even close to 50 percent.

24. claduva94

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Miami is roughly 70%!

25. godawg300

Oh damn!!!! That's great!

26. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    As the wise LizzyM and others have already commented, their schools need to accept about 3x as many people as they have seats, given that high quality candidates get multiple accepts. At my school, we accept about 75% of the people who interview.

AlteredScale likes this.
  27. IL Pre Med

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1/10 troll post