what are the chances to get into radonc with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medman1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
cancel this thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No chance at this point.
You may want to consider an MPH or MBA before you apply.
Or, perhaps petition NBME to retake Step 1.

I hate to be a naysayer, but maybe you will like family medicine or psychiatry - those are really good fields, too - try a rotation through.

-S

No chance at this point.

I hate to be a naysayer, but maybe you will like family medicine or psychiatry - those are really good fields, too - try a rotation through.

-S

haha. Psych sounds pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
lets say hypothetically an applicant's stats are:

250 Step 1
top 25% of med school class
mediocre med school (rank ~70)
MD/PhD in cancer-related field
~2 original research first author publications
~5 small publications
mediocre 3rd year clerkship grades (High Pass)

what are the chances for any radonc program?

thanks,
medman1

I wouldn't sweat it, I had virtually inferior stats across the board and was able to get into a similarly competitive field (not radonc). I'd say the key things are to apply broadly, be likable at your audition rotations/aways, and be even more likable during interviews.

No chance at this point.

-S

With stats like those I'd be surprised if you even graduate.
Good luck though.

:laugh:

lets say hypothetically an applicant's stats are:

250 Step 1
top 25% of med school class
mediocre med school (rank ~70)
MD/PhD in cancer-related field
~2 original research first author publications
~5 small publications
mediocre 3rd year clerkship grades (High Pass)

what are the chances for any radonc program?

thanks,
medman1

Honestly, you have your work cut out for you. I go to a lower tier program, and our step1 average was 262. The PhD thing might hurt you too. I think of all fields, radiation oncology is the least likely to accept PhDs. As far as the publications, unless they're in the Red Journal, they are pretty much worthless. If I were you, I would try to schedule as many outside rotations as possible (assuming they don't screen based on stats) and try to get letters from as many big names as you can to make up for your otherwise inferior stats. It's a longshot, but I've seen crazier things happen. Good luck.

Honestly, you have your work cut out for you. I go to a lower tier program, and our step1 average was 262. The PhD thing might hurt you too. I think of all fields, radiation oncology is the least likely to accept PhDs. As far as the publications, unless they're in the Red Journal, they are pretty much worthless. If I were you, I would try to schedule as many outside rotations as possible (assuming they don't screen based on stats) and try to get letters from as many big names as you can to make up for your otherwise inferior stats. It's a longshot, but I've seen crazier things happen. Good luck.

Publications should probably be in JCO at least, JAMA or NEJM would be best...

Just kidding.... "Rate my stats" posts are quite annoying though...

True but for those without a strong home department or strong support from the academic deans, sometimes random Internet advice is better than no advice

Sure, thats one way of looking at it... But other applicants may look at someone posting their 250 step I score, their PhD, and their 5 publications differently...

Its been several years since I applied, but it is unreasonable to think that you aren't going to be a good candidate for a residency position with numbers like that provided you are likeable in an interview...

It's not that I don't want to be helpful. I think I have been before- especially to people who private message me or email me. But, to ask with a 250 and 5 publications if you will get into any program - well, I'm realizing this jagoff was probably a troll, but if not, as Seth Myers and Amy Poehler would say "Really?"

-S

hey guys
thanks for the advice
i wasnt trying to be a jerk but i guess i could have been perceived like that. the truth is that it is hard to place oneself in perspective. im sure many med students find it hard to judge their own chances- they need a different opinion.
also i was worried that my low/mid-class med school would be a negative since a lot rad onc programs take students from top tier med schools.

thanks and good luck to all

Well for what its worth, my state school WVU placed several students in the past few years at top institutions.

Mainly:
MD Anderson
U Pennsylvania
U Pittsburgh

Its a small school and not the most well known...but if you rock the socks off your boards you can too!

I completely understand the angst associated with applying to this competitive and extremely small, close-knit field. However, there are only 4 components to your application that matter (in no specific order):

1. Boards
2. Grades*
3. Research
4. Letters of Recommendation

If any of the applicants really want to understand their competitiveness look at the following sources:

1. Charting Outcomes (nrmp website)
2. Previous years posts of "Who's Who Radiation Oncology" (SDN website)

The former clearly delineates the academic achievements of radiation oncology applicants and the latter demonstrates the caliber of medical schools where matched applicants attended. I would suggest that people take a great look at those two sources before posting questions about competitiveness.