What are the chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khia18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to be sorry I asked, but what if I took the MCAT got a 23, took it again and got a 28. My gpa is 3.4, I've been an EMT for 2 years (which I have been learning may be considered worthless), I'm all involved in everything with a volunteer campus ems group, and other extracurriculars... Is there a chance I will get accepted anywhere? Dare I ask...

Members don't see this ad.

yes there is a chance!

Khia18 said:
I know I'm going to be sorry I asked, but what if I took the MCAT got a 23, took it again and got a 28. My gpa is 3.4, I've been an EMT for 2 years (which I have been learning may be considered worthless), I'm all involved in everything with a volunteer campus ems group, and other extracurriculars... Is there a chance I will get accepted anywhere? Dare I ask...

3.4 and 28 isn't that bad. Basically an average MCAT score and a slightly below average gpa. EMT is good experience, and 2 years is more than a lot of people do of anything clinical. There are people in med school who seem to have never stepped foot in a hospital.

You stand a good chance for schools thats arent that competetive. If you can find some way to stand out when you talk about your experiences/goals or convince the school why that school is an excellent choice for you that always helps (thats true for everyone). I would still go ahead and apply where you want (youd be suprised where you might get in), but applying to all the top ten schools is obviously gonna waste you a lot of money, and applying to a bunch of schools that arent that high ranked (pick ones you want to go to though) is a good idea. Consider some DO schools if you want to be safe but you can get into MD school.