What are the chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabaiidee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just need a little help in my changes, or if I am making the smart choice in changing to take pre-med requisites.

I am currently a 2nd semester sophomore and attend a state college. Right now I am taking BIO-gen I (which for the pre-med req at my school is the first step in the process).

So, I don't have any EC's,
but, I did do 2 semesters of english, and a semester of Stat(A+) and currently I am taking PreCalc I (next pre-c II then Calc)

If I started doing volunteer work, shadowing, etc this summer until graduation would I have a chance?

I know, I know, most of you are going to say like, you don't just wake up one morning and decide you want to become a doctor, but for me I've always had an interest in the medical field but always thought that international relations was the "thing" for me.

My gpa currently is 3.3, but I plan to bring it up.

Pretty much, I am just asking/wondering if deciding to do pre-med req this late in the stage is the right thing or not. I know I have the mentality to do well from here on out, but I don't want to finish college and not get accepted to a single med-school.

Just any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance.:):)

Members don't see this ad.

Shipping this over to the WAMC forum. You'll get better responses there. The short version of the story, is yes, you have a chance, and with lots of A's to round out your college years, you'll have a really good chance.

I think your chief question is whether you're "too late" to get into medical school. There were a bunch of half-stated questions in there too, but I think that's the chief question.

Bottom line: There are people who get accepted to medical school when they're 50+ years old. You're not too late!

However, if you haven't started taking the pre-requisites it's too early to tell whether you have a "good shot." Your GPA is a bit low but there's still plenty of time to improve. You should also start looking into osteopathic medical schools.

:luck:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A typical applicant has about 1.5 years of clinical experience when they apply. With your lower GPA, you'd probably want to wait until after senior year to apply so your GPA has more time to recover (to have the best shot at MD schools), which leaves you planty of time to get enough of that EC going. Right now, high grades are your priority. if you have a bit of left over time/energy, consider getting some weekly or twice monthly nonmedical community service to the poor started. Greater longevity in this type of activity makes an application stronger. Enough Shadowing can easily be acquired over school breaks and summers.

thank you for responding.

hopefuldoc97239, in a sense I guess you are right. Is it "too late" to change half way through my undergrad studies.

I am in the honors/scholars program at my school, so, having a 3.3 I am currently on academic probation. with that, I know for a fact that my GPA will be higher than a 3.5 by the end of this semester (or else I get kicked out of the program, and they pay for my tuition so I can't afford that)

Catalystik, by nonmedical community service do you mean tutoring students, being a peer mentor for incoming freshmen, volunteering for community service projects etc...? If so I have over 1000+ for sure since my senior year of high school.
But don't Med-Schools typically care more about what kind of EC's you have done related to the medical field so you get an understanding and feel if it is right for you or not?

Catalystik,
1) by nonmedical community service do you mean tutoring students, being a peer mentor for incoming freshmen, volunteering for community service projects etc...? If so I have over 1000+ for sure since my senior year of high school.

2) But don't Med-Schools typically care more about what kind of EC's you have done related to the medical field so you get an understanding and feel if it is right for you or not?
1) If those things were not paid or required for a class, then they are volunteer positions. If they took place off campus, meaning for the wider community that you live within, they seem to have more value to adcomms. And if they served the poor, even better. All of these things show your altruism and have value on your application.

2) It's pretty much an unwritten requirement that you have clinical experience, physician shadowing, and possibly research, so you understand what medicine is all about, it's also considered highly desirable that you also show personal qualities that suit you for medicine, meaning, whether you are capable of serving for the greater good, rising above your own self interest, and able to function as part of a team, so nonmedical ECs are also important to list. This includes having leisuretime, stress-relieving activities.