1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are the characteristic that make someone go into a certain specialty

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kwalk03, Jul 25, 2011.

1. kwalk03

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Im trying to get a feel for Anesthesiology, Cardiology, Neurology, Oncology, and Ortho surgery. And the type of character that gravitates toward certain specialties. Analogies are needed PLEASE :). Thank you SDNF community :D!!!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. ash914

5+ Year Member

I'm a little confused what you're asking. Is about character traits that make a person want to go into one speciality over another? Because it seems like that person's interests and the opportunities they have would be responsible rather than character traits (in most cases). If it's because you're interested in those specialties, you could always shadow docs and ask them why they chose that field.

5. vanhor25

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  6. BushidoBrown

BushidoBrown The Wu-Tang Shogun
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Step 1 scores

7. drdan83

Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    People go into those specialties for the big bucks. Do you think all doctors gravitate towards a certain specialty because they are 100% passionate about that specialty?

Don't be so naive.

I know plenty of doctors who are in those specialties who are downright mean people and want to milk you and your insurance company for every dollar.

8. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You have lots of time to worry about there. There are certain characteristics that tend to surface in many specialties, but there are plenty of exceptions. I'm currently on my surgery rotation. The only thing I can do is get as much exposure to all the fields that I can. I scrub general surgery, uro, ortho, ent, do intubations, start IVs and central lines and talk anesthesia. You get a feel rather quickly for what you like.

I personally love orthopedics. I do fit the whole " big jock" image commonly associated with it, but the surgeons I've been with haven't fit that mold.

9. chrissyxf

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
  10. chrissyxf

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    but in all seriousness....I found that the specialty people choose is based on whether or not they liked their rotation which is largely based on the people in that rotation. like minded people gravitate towards each other. my day at work rarely has to do with the medicine i practice (GI was the last thing i wanted to do as a mid-level) and everything to do with how i interact with my co-workers, who are pretty awesome.
    I personally can't tolerate surgery but alot of that is because the surgeons I've encountered have a sense of humor I don't get and can put up with hours I just can't stand for more than a month at a time.
    You'll have to see what happens in medical school with rotations...most people love medicine, hate surgery or hate medicine, love surgery.
    at the end of the day, (as my dad always told me), you'll find something you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life.
    i love my job, i still can't believe people pay me to do this...which is why i want it to be a career (hence going back to med school).
    good luck!

11. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This.