What are the consequences of not following through with Letter of Intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSnow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overheard a few premeds talking about how their cycles were going the other day. One mentioned that he sent a LoI to both of the schools that had him on the WL. I was about to mention that it was extremely messed up to do that but then it got me thinking... Other than being a prick, what are the actual consequences if someone sent a LoI to a school and got accepted but they did not follow through?

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't any consequences, which is why LoIs lack any impact

Reactions: 5 users
He wouldn’t be the first to do this and that is why most decision makers don’t take them seriously. It’s like cheating on the person you are engaged to. You can only marry one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that some schools share names of those who have sent LOI so in those cases, the schools will find out and possibly rescind offers. Also not a great way to start off an ethical career even if he doesn't get caught

Reactions: 1 users
Overheard a few premeds talking about how their cycles were going the other day. One mentioned that he sent a LoI to both of the schools that had him on the WL. I was about to mention that it was extremely messed up to do that but then it got me thinking... Other than being a prick, what are the actual consequences if someone sent a LoI to a school and got accepted but they did not follow through?
Maybe he's planning on accepting the first school to send him an offer, and withdrawing at the second? How is that being a prick?

Just knowing when you look in the mirror that your word means nothing

This is exactly why LOIs are meaningless. Pretty sure schools expect desperate students to send LOIs to a lot of schools

Maybe he's planning on accepting the first school to send him an offer, and withdrawing at the second? How is that being a prick?

Send an old fashioned letter proposing marriage to two different people. Marry the first one who responses and email the second saying that your plans have changed and the proposal is being withdrawn. Hope that the phone does not ring with a call from the second accepting your proposal while you are writing the email. Let me know how that works out.

Reactions: 6 users
The consequences are nil, except that it provides yet more evidence to Admissions Deans that LOI are worthless.

I've heard that some schools share names of those who have sent LOI so in those cases, the schools will find out and possibly rescind offers. Also not a great way to start off an ethical career even if he doesn't get caught
I've heard that some schools lie about sharing names of those who have sent LOI's to trick people into thinking that they might have their offers rescinded. I think schools have better things to do with their time and LOI's are worthless junk anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

Worst case scenario: going one person deeper into the waitlist.