What are the consequences of this... help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alyssa Johnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo I felt faint and sick unexpectedly during one of the sections (possibly a panic attack?? I don't know...). I knew if I stayed in the room I would either throw up or faint so I took a break during one of the blocks to step out. I was in front of the proctor the entire time and she told me to drink water and calm down so literally within 4 minutes I was able to get back in the room to continue. I know that she reported this activity to USMLE because I called the testing center today (and I took the exam yesterday). Has anyone heard of a situation like this before? I read that taking an unauthorized break counts as irregular activity and I also have read that irregular activity will show up on your scores and transcripts from now on... I just feel horrible because it was a medical emergency and I had no choice and now it could possibly be on my transcript forever as "irregular" activity. I already emailed a bunch of administrators, etc, but does anyone happen to know of a similar example or have any idea what will happen??? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

It says in the Bulletin of Info http://www.usmle.org/general_information/bulletin/2008/indeterminate.html that they will give you a copy of the policies and procedures regarding irreg behavior which should detail the process. Did they give this to you? I can't seem to access it online.

I think they review it and it also says you will have the chance to give them info about it.

I hope everything works out! I'm sure someone on SDN has some info about this!

Good luck!!

I am glad I am not alone on this...my situation however was different.

After the end of the first block...i was so happy to be done with a block that I by accidently clicked the box for an unauthorized break (it is in the upper right hand corner like the usmle world interface...). I totally freaked out...(then got my panic attack :eek:) and quickly logged back in ...it must have been 10 sec total.

I was able to end the block appropriately....and then i left the room and the ppl there said that it shouldn't be a problem since I didn't leave the room...Of course I was still worried and freaking out....

I continued the exam...and later in the day...i asked a different person who worked there and she said that it shouldn't be a problem...but I don't know if I can trust them?

I really don't know what to do?
Has anyone else made the mistake I made? Any reccomendations?

That same thing happen to me!!!, when I finished the first block, I accidentaly pressed the unauthorized break button, Have anyone of you had any problem with this?? have you gotten back your score reports???

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP.. were you testing at Lombard by any chance? I had a person I was testing with do this - I had sympathy freak out for her. It was on the same day as you...

Hello Ms. Alyssa. May i first say your name is prettier than the Taj Mahal on the banks of the River Yamuna. Unfortunately, I have heard of things like this back in my home country of India. During my United States Medical Licensing Examination-Step the First exam in the city of Mumbai, i was caught with three samosas (delicate fried potato snacks) in the back pocket for snacking during the break time. The proctor, who let us say was a lover of the sweets, was eyeing my back pocket the entire time I was taking my test. He was very ugly so I assumed he was from Bangladesh. I was first thinking he was of homosexual because he was looking at my rear end the entire test, but then i realized that it was the samosas that he was truly eyeing. As you must know, bringing snack of any kind, fried or not, is banned, even in Mumbai. I became flustered. My forehead was sweating so much the drops came on the keyboard and caused electric short circuit. My keyboard was nonfunctional. I was forced to take Emergency Break Time, and the proctor approached me. He said bluntly "i know what you have and i want them badly. If you do not give them to me, you cannot be doctor." I handed the samosas to him, but then when he asked for the associated chutney with which the samosas taste ever so great, I had to say "sorry sir, i do not have any." The proctor then became furious. He said "i did not become test proctor to deal with this sort of thing. I must report this situation to the USMLE. " i had panic attack. Much like you, the proctor told me to get some water. Unfortunately it was tap water infected with EHEC so bloody diarrhea ensued. While i was making hemorrhagic stool, my proctor forced me to finish the exam. He pulled the computer to the restroom and make me take last three blocks with my rear end on the toilet seat and my anus on fire. I could not annotate my test items because he failed to replace the one i had destroyed with my sweat. I finished the exam, lost consciousness because of dehydration, went to hospital, developed Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, recovered, was discharged. By this time, my score was ready. It said 147. I was hoping for 266. On the score report, it sayed "Irregular activity was present during test". I was shocked by this. All things considered, my exam experience was highly routine and nothing out of the ordinary. I am going to retake exam in the US of A. I hear everyone passes here so I will pursue my Ophthomalogy dreams here. Alyssa Johnson, your exam experience seems to be highly inappropriate. From your account, you were not even in GI distress when you were forced to take Emergency Break Time. For what reason you took break? Did you have second thoughts about becoming doctor? I wish you the very best with your score, Ms. Johnson.

Hello Ms. Alyssa. May i first say your name is prettier than the Taj Mahal on the banks of the River Yamuna. Unfortunately, I have heard of things like this back in my home country of India. During my United States Medical Licensing Examination-Step the First exam in the city of Mumbai, i was caught with three samosas (delicate fried potato snacks) in the back pocket for snacking during the break time. The proctor, who let us say was a lover of the sweets, was eyeing my back pocket the entire time I was taking my test. He was very ugly so I assumed he was from Bangladesh. I was first thinking he was of homosexual because he was looking at my rear end the entire test, but then i realized that it was the samosas that he was truly eyeing. As you must know, bringing snack of any kind, fried or not, is banned, even in Mumbai. I became flustered. My forehead was sweating so much the drops came on the keyboard and caused electric short circuit. My keyboard was nonfunctional. I was forced to take Emergency Break Time, and the proctor approached me. He said bluntly "i know what you have and i want them badly. If you do not give them to me, you cannot be doctor." I handed the samosas to him, but then when he asked for the associated chutney with which the samosas taste ever so great, I had to say "sorry sir, i do not have any." The proctor then became furious. He said "i did not become test proctor to deal with this sort of thing. I must report this situation to the USMLE. " i had panic attack. Much like you, the proctor told me to get some water. Unfortunately it was tap water infected with EHEC so bloody diarrhea ensued. While i was making hemorrhagic stool, my proctor forced me to finish the exam. He pulled the computer to the restroom and make me take last three blocks with my rear end on the toilet seat and my anus on fire. I could not annotate my test items because he failed to replace the one i had destroyed with my sweat. I finished the exam, lost consciousness because of dehydration, went to hospital, developed Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, recovered, was discharged. By this time, my score was ready. It said 147. I was hoping for 266. On the score report, it sayed "Irregular activity was present during test". I was shocked by this. All things considered, my exam experience was highly routine and nothing out of the ordinary. I am going to retake exam in the US of A. I hear everyone passes here so I will pursue my Ophthomalogy dreams here. Alyssa Johnson, your exam experience seems to be highly inappropriate. From your account, you were not even in GI distress when you were forced to take Emergency Break Time. For what reason you took break? Did you have second thoughts about becoming doctor? I wish you the very best with your score, Ms. Johnson.

that must have taken a lot of time to think of and write...