What are the current unemployment and underemployment rates for pharmacists? What percentage of phar

Judgment Dragon

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
What are the current unemployment and underemployment rates for pharmacists? What percentage of pharmacy school student loan borrowers have student loans that are currently in default? I tried searching on Google, but I found no answers. Also my cousin who has a Pharmacy degree from Feik School of Pharmacy - University of the Incarnate Word and found a pharmacist job in San Jose, California that only paid $130K with 70 hours per week of work. This is $35 an hour.

wagrxm2000

A different perspective
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Same answer as always, if you are willing to move then you will find a job

Digsbe

7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
Knowing California I doubt they work 70 hours a week and can't get OT for it, Is it a 7 on 7 off type job? If they work 70 hours a week and aren't given OT they can take that to court as I believe California made pharmacists non-exempt employees where you must be given a lunch break and paid time and a half for OT.

Reactions: gwarm01

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
Pharmacist
Agreed, there is NO way someone in CA is making $35/hr as a pharmacist. Is your cousin actually doing a residency ($35/hr is a bit on the low side for residencies, but more believable than a pharmacist making that salary.) Either that or they are working 7 on/7 off (most likely), of they are in some type of management position (in which case they company can't dictate they work 70 hrs/week, but if they are going into a mess, its possible they may need to put in that many hours at the beginning to get the department/store cleaned up.)

Edited to add....I'm bad at math in my head, $35/hr for a resident would actually be right in line for a resident's salary.

Last edited:

Fimbulvetr

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Agreed, there is NO way someone in CA is making $35/hr as a pharmacist. Is your cousin actually doing a residency ($35/hr is a bit on the low side for residencies, but more believable than a pharmacist making that salary.) Either that or they are working 7 on/7 off (most likely), of they are in some type of management position (in which case they company can't dictate they work 70 hrs/week, but if they are going into a mess, its possible they may need to put in that many hours at the beginning to get the department/store cleaned up.)

Edited to add....I'm bad at math in my head, $35/hr for a resident would actually be right in line for a resident's salary.
Residents make 35$/hr? That's 73k a year. I thought they made like 40kish o_O

stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
I have heard of a clinical pharmacist in California who is considered exempt and has to put in as many as 80 hours/week and is paid about as much as a retail pharmacist. I don't think the possibility of $130k for 70 hours/week is too far-fetched.

trailerpark

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I have heard of a clinical pharmacist in California who is considered exempt and has to put in as many as 80 hours/week and is paid about as much as a retail pharmacist. I don't think the possibility of $130k for 70 hours/week is too far-fetched.
Once she hits 40 hours she should leave and tell everyone she'll be back next week.

Reactions: BidingMyTime

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
Okay here we go, in no particular order.

1) PGY-1 residents in California make between $~40,000/yr and $60,000/yr; however, the work requirements might vary, so you can't compare programs in that way.

That $40k/yr one might just be your base, and if you pick up staffing shifts as extra, those could be paid at standard pharmacy pay, that $60k/yr position could have staffing hours built in, subject to the 80 hr/week maximum resident cap (same as medical residents) AND California OT laws. That means, the site could say "confettiflyer, I want you to work 32 hours this week on resident stuff but on Friday you're going to work the PM staffing shift, for a total of 40 hours this week, all at your standard resident hourly rate."

2) The $35/hr quote in San Jose is highly suspect. Given that the median household income in Santa Clara County is $93,500/yr, this phantom pharmacist makes >$20,000/yr less than the median. There are underserved hospitals < 1hr away commute distance that will easily double that salary. Either this person is incredibly stupid, really hates to drive, or a combination of both.

The lowest confirmed hourly rate that I can attest to is CCRMC in Martinez, CA at $46.43/hr. The caveat being that this is a government job with a pension, and notice the position says "continuous recruitment" meaning...they're always looking.

EDIT: I just noticed this, the OP said his friend makes:

judgment dragon said:
"only paid $130K with 70 hours per week of work. This is $35 an hour."
He probably means 70 hours per two weeks (biweekly pay). Due to mandatory OT laws in California - your friend would probably be making in excess of $150k/yr working 70 hours a week, even at $35/hr. So let's cut the **** and call this a typo on the OP's part.

First, this "friend" graduated straight from pharmacy school and landed an inpatient job in Silicon Valley, California? It's definitely a night shift, given that fact and the "70 hours/2 weeks" you're probably stating. No way an out of state new grad could even touch a standard day shift clinical position in that area.

So let's parse it out, he makes $130k for 35 hours/week average so that's 1820 hours per year meaning $130,000/1820 = $71.42 hr which sounds exactly like the starting pay at most hospitals in the Bay Area for inpatient/acute care (my ballpark range is between $66-$74/hr).

I'd actually say this is low for overnight...most overnight differentials will get you closer to $80/hr, so this hospital is probably paying closer to $65 for base and differential bumps it up to $71.42. Who knows if the $130k figure is correct to begin with, though.
3) California mandates all non-management pharmacists (and nurses) be paid hourly. Extremely strict requirement, no "highly compensated" exemption, no way to contract out and 1099 your pharmacists, either. Anything over 8hrs/day is OT (except if you're on an alternative work schedule, aka 10 or 12 hour days), at which point all hours over 40 = OT rate of 1.5x.

All hours over 12 in a day are 2x OT rate, all hours worked on the 7th consecutive day and beyond are supposed to be 1.5x, I only know the University of California system has this in place formally. I once knew a technician that worked 28 days straight and days 7-28 were entirely 1.5x OT.

That's all. Questions?