What are the FM boards like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since FM includes everything, what sort of questions do you run accross on the boards?

Do you get questions on every topic that encompasses minute details within that category like you would in speciality boards?
Or are the questions more clinic-based, focusing on what you would actually see in real life?

Members don't see this ad.

Since FM includes everything, what sort of questions do you run accross on the boards?

Do you get questions on every topic that encompasses minute details within that category like you would in speciality boards?
Or are the questions more clinic-based, focusing on what you would actually see in real life?

The questions were not at all clinic based, and nothing like what I see in real life. At least, for me that was the case.

I had one question on HTN and one question on diabetes. I had 3 questions on toe fractures.

Reactions: 1 users

It's a little bit of everything. you get the FM board review book and do as many questions as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in residency yet? If so, just like the ITEs. If not, don't worry about it, you'll have plenty of time during residency to practice. I thought the ABFM board review questions on the free app were pretty spot on.

Strangely, I was hammered on med-med interactions. Some common, some I've never heard of but otherwise, it covered a fairly broad scope of what I see day in and out.

Did you do inservice exams? Similar to those.

Reactions: 1 user
The ABFM board question app was money in terms of caliber of questions that I saw on the exam. But I would agree with those above that say it was not much like what you see in "real life". Nonetheless, the app plus UWorld prepped me well (and of course, my experiences during residency chipped in some as well)

The ABFM board question app was money in terms of caliber of questions that I saw on the exam. But I would agree with those above that say it was not much like what you see in "real life". Nonetheless, the app plus UWorld prepped me well (and of course, my experiences during residency chipped in some as well)
Really? I thought the app questions were ridiculously hard and not even close to what the exam was like.

The AOBFP exam is nothing like the ITE. It was a crap shoot. I studied step 3 material and passed. The oral is similar to OMT practical exams but with a multiple choice test first.

Really? I thought the app questions were ridiculously hard and not even close to what the exam was like.

i had no less than 5-6 that we’re almost word for word from the app question bank. i can agree they were a little on the hard side, might be why i liked it...made me feel dumb and i would consequently study more.

:shrug:

Have many other people used uworld for the Family medicine board exam? Did you like it? I don’t The the abfm app very much and I’ve completed the questions a few times while studying for In-Training exams. I’m still planning on going through those questions again but I liked uworld for all the steps.

Go through AAFP and abfm board review questions, get a good night's sleep the night before and be in a zen state of mind on the day of the exam. You'll pass.