USMLE What are the highest yield subjects on Step I, in descending order of importance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc-Oc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the highest yield subjects on Step I, in descending order of importance?

Members don't see this ad.

Literally everything. But if you had to pay less attention to some topics due to time constraints, it would be anatomy and embryology. Know FA.

I think there are tiers of importance

The most important subjects are
Pathology
Pathophysiology
Physiology
Microbiology
Pharmacology

Then probably
anatomy, biochemistry, neuro anatomy, immunology

Then the last tier of importance is
histology, embryology, behavioral science, biostats, ethics, health systems type stuff

If you HAD to pick something to be good at, it would be that first tier, but those are also the broadest subjects

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone ever really intentionally study anatomy? I feel like that's all built into systems and whatnot...

Does anyone ever really intentionally study anatomy? I feel like that's all built into systems and whatnot...

I used Firecracker to study anatomy. Saved me on a couple of questions on the real deal.

What's in First Aid is generally sufficient.

You can't really leave out any subject.
On multi-step questions, in order to get to D (the answer) you have to know A, B & C in that order.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I should ask if Kaplan Qbank, rx, FA and uworld anatomy are enough?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How specific is the anatomy if you can say?

Probably not as specific as a med school course, but you should know everything in FA. I think insertion and relative relationship questions tend to be rare, but knowing how different parts of the body move is key.

Thanks, were you talking about Kaplan qbank or Kaplan course? Because I didn't do Kaplan course just the qbank

What is your opinion on kaplans behavioral/public/ethics?

What is your opinion on kaplans behavioral/public/ethics?

I never found anything in there that I couldn't learn in UWorld. The public health stuff might be good, since Step 1 now covers things like hospital safety etc. UWorld has a few question items on that stuff, but Kaplan has a lot, in case you don't want to miss easy points.