dasha55

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Status
Medical Student
Hi,
I am sorry if this question has been asked gazellion of times before; I would have liked a concise advice on what needs to be done to get into training program back in Canada?
Also, has anyone (IMG from Australasia) tried getting into Dermatology in Canada Australia or New Zealand?

Thank you, any help greatly appreciated!

A bit about myself: I am 28, from Mississauga, Ontario; started Medicine at Auckland, New Zealand in 2006; currently in my 5th year; at the moment on a Plastic Surgery Selective in Sydney at RPAH; hoping to do Dermatology.

qubes

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
For postgrad training. The minimum requirement is that you write the MCCEE and be at least a permanent resident of Canada. If you have neither they will not look at your application.

However just having these two while sufficient, will not maximize your chance of getting ANY postgrad position. To maximize your chances of doing so as an IMG(to get as close as possible to securing a position), you will have done electives in a given discipline, have 3 letters of reference from canadian physicians who worked with you during your electives and have had some research experience. This is where being a canadian studying abroad who is about to graduate from an institution confers the most advantage.

As well you are aiming for dermatology which I believe has only 2 training spots allocated for 300+ IMGs that match in every year. This is a big gamble and while I definitely, absolutely encourage you to apply, you should have a back up if your ultimate goal is to practice in Canada. If your goal is to become a dermatologist but are open to location, perhaps OZ and NZ are your best bets.

Btw if you wanna talk, I'm a Sydney Uni Med1 from Canada at RPA

Last edited: