What are the least competitive MD Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you can't speak english why do you want to practice in the US? Maybe it's for those "fat paychecks" you were talking about? What's your primary language? If it's Spanish I would go to the Caribbean.

Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States, located in the northeastern Caribbean east of the Dominican Republic and west of both the United States Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands.
With regard to medical schools, non-LCME accredited schools are referred to as the Caribbean. Puerto Rican schools are LCME accredited an are thus US MD.

Reactions: 2 users
That MCAT is really bringing you down. Also, post a longer thread explaining your ECs, GPAs, state residency, and MCAT score in the "What Are My Chances" sub-forum. You will get better answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Morehouse: GPA 3.3 MCAT 26

Definitely in your ball park OP

Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States, located in the northeastern Caribbean east of the Dominican Republic and west of both the United States Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands.

In terms of medical education, PR schools are not considered Caribbean. They are US MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Morehouse: GPA 3.3 MCAT 26

Definitely in your ball park OP
Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard are all historically black. Does not mean you need to be black, but make sure you fit into their mission. So although GPA and MCAT averages are lower it does not mean that the application process is any easier.

Loma Linda has a lower GPA and MCAT as well, but they are seventh day adventists so you may want to check if you can comply with their strict rules placed on students before applying.

Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard are all historically black. Does not mean you need to be black, but make sure you fit into their mission. So although GPA and MCAT averages are lower it does not mean that the application process is any easier.

Loma Linda has a lower GPA and MCAT as well, but they are seventh day adventists so you may want to check if you can comply with their strict rules placed on students before applying.

I had no idea that Loma Linda was so religious! I always heard on SDN that they had lower stats so I just looked them up. This is what they say on their website and those don't look like lower GPA or MCAT. I can't post MSAR data on here but hopefully it's ok if I say that it's consistent with the below info. How did they become known for accepting a lower GPA and MCAT in that case? I'm confused here.

"Because the number of applicants is far greater than the number of positions we have to offer, admission is highly selective. Loma Linda University does not require a minimum GPA or MCAT score, but the admissions process is competitive within the applicant pool. For the 2013 entering class, the average BCPM GPA was 3.72, the cumulative GPA was 3.76 and average MCAT was 30, with an average of 10 on each subsection."

http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions/selection-factors.page?

I had no idea that Loma Linda was so religious! I always heard on SDN that they had lower stats so I just looked them up. This is what they say on their website and those don't look like lower GPA or MCAT. I can't post MSAR data on here but hopefully it's ok if I say that it's consistent with the below info. How did they become known for accepting a lower GPA and MCAT in that case? I'm confused here.

"Because the number of applicants is far greater than the number of positions we have to offer, admission is highly selective. Loma Linda University does not require a minimum GPA or MCAT score, but the admissions process is competitive within the applicant pool. For the 2013 entering class, the average BCPM GPA was 3.72, the cumulative GPA was 3.76 and average MCAT was 30, with an average of 10 on each subsection."

http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions/selection-factors.page?
Look at 10th and 90th percentiles...

Lol! So many trolls. When I posted about how should I study for the VR because I got just a 5 on it, there were hardly 2 or 3 ppl who were genuinely interested in helping. You guys should maybe reconsider whether you want to be a doctor for helping others or just for the fat paychecks. *sigh*
If you just want to help people, why not become a PA or NP? Because you also want the fat paycheck. But framed your way, you are more deserving than all those horrible med students who are just money hungry and don't care about helping people.

Oh ok! I didn't know that. And idk spanish, so that isn't gonna work.

As for how I am preparing for it is that I solve 5-6 passages everyday from the princeton verbal practice passages. I take examcrackers verbal practice exams once a week. I did the same before I took the MCATs in June and used to get 7-8 on average. The lowest I got was a 6. I generally get the main idea of the passage but the questions come off as tricky, esp. between two options and almost always the correct answer is the one I didnt choose from the two. Is there any trick to determine what could be the possible correct answer? I know that options that make harsh statements are generally wrong while the one with softeners are almost always correct ones. But are there any other things that I'm not aware of? Generally I highlight whatever I think is imp from the passage, but I sometimes feel that I highlight too much info. Maybe you can guide me
You seem like you are working pretty hard though, so I do wish you good luck

You have a great shot at DO -- at this point, forget MD and just apply DO broadly (skip NY and Cali schools), and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can't speak english why do you want to practice in the US? Maybe it's for those "fat paychecks" you were talking about? What's your primary language? If it's Spanish I would go to the Caribbean.
So, everyone whose English is not a first language come here for becoming a doctor? I didn't know I was going to pursue my career in medicine when I moved here. So, your argument makes no sense. Also if I wanted to go back to my country and go to med school there I wouldn't have had wasted 8 months studying for MCATs.

Reactions: 1 users
With regard to medical schools, non-LCME accredited schools are referred to as the Caribbean. Puerto Rican schools are LCME accredited an are thus US MD.

US MD in The Caribbean.

US MD in The Caribbean.
In the parlance of medical schools, there is a difference.
"US MD in the Caribbean" might reasonably be confused with the US owned non-LCME accredited schools (aka the Caribbean schools). That is why we don't use Caribbean to describe the Puerto Rican schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the parlance of medical schools, there is a difference.
"US MD in the Caribbean" might reasonably be confused with the US owned non-LCME accredited schools (aka the Caribbean schools). That is why we don't use Caribbean to describe the Puerto Rican schools.
Fair enough, but in the parlance of actual geography it's Caribbean. In the parlance of politics, it's an unincorporated US territory.

Fair enough, but in the parlance of actual geography it's Caribbean. In the parlance of politics, it's an unincorporated US territory.
I don't think anyone will argue with you about that. But on SDN, it is the medical school jargon that predominates, which is why the distinction between Puerto Rican schools and "Caribbean" schools is important.

. Realized this thread in from 2014..