What are the logisitical/administrative steps to becoming a professor after med school?

Oct 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
P.S. Is there anything a pre-med student (who wants to be a professor and is currently applying to med school) should do?

About the Ads

PTPoeny

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Do residency. Find an academic job. Follow one of the tenure tracks at your university.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Doctor-S
Jul 30, 2017
Southlake, TX
www.utsouthwestern.edu
Status
Attending Physician
P.S. Is there anything a pre-med student (who wants to be a professor and is currently applying to med school) should do?

Not to question your vision, but do you just mean an educator? Or the pathway to full professorship? It's a long process but if you just want any type of "professor" title you basically need to finish residency and get an academic job

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

liquidcrawler

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2015
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
Go to a top 20 school. Do productive research to build your CV now. Have good social skills / be able to play department politics. Be good at writing grants.

Jul 30, 2017
Southlake, TX
www.utsouthwestern.edu
Status
Attending Physician
Go to a top 20 school. Do productive research to build your CV now. Have good social skills / be able to play department politics. Be good at writing grants.
None of that is actually necessary if all you want is a "professor" type of title.
The vast majority (maybe all but I'm sure there are exceptions) of physicians who join an academic group start off as assistant professors and work their way up to associate and then full professors. This is true regardless of where you went to medical school or residency.
The question should be, what are you actually wanting out of the title? Most of us are educators and researchers. If you don't want to do those things then you go into private practice where you don't have that title. Pros and cons to both but you just need to figure out what you actually want

Med Ed

2+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
We have PhD's who are professors and do mainly research with some teaching. We have MD's and MD/PhD's who are professors and do mainly research with some teaching and variable amounts of clinical work. We have MD's who mainly do clinical work and teach with very little research. We have adjunct/community faculty who are MD's who primarily practice and do a some teaching for us "on the side."

Saying you wish to become a professor does not provide enough specificity for anyone to offer decent advice.

Reactions: Doctor-S and gyngyn

liquidcrawler

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2015
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
None of that is actually necessary if all you want is a "professor" type of title.
The vast majority (maybe all but I'm sure there are exceptions) of physicians who join an academic group start off as assistant professors and work their way up to associate and then full professors. This is true regardless of where you went to medical school or residency.
The question should be, what are you actually wanting out of the title? Most of us are educators and researchers. If you don't want to do those things then you go into private practice where you don't have that title. Pros and cons to both but you just need to figure out what you actually want
This may be just my case.. but I work in research at a top 20 medical school and all the academic MD's come from pedigree backgrounds and have massive CVs. Sure, if your goal is just to be faculty somewhere, then by all means a lot of the things I mentioned would not apply. But, if you're interested in faculty positions in the upper echelon of schools, what I said was probably necessary.

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
top 20 always required? wb to 30? can it be UNC or BU? I am also interested in teaching but can't guarantee I'll get into a top 20 medical school...

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
at a top 20 medical school and all the academic MD's come from pedigree backgrounds and have massive CV
Lol, yeah but there are a lot more medical schools in the US than 20.

top 20 always required? wb to 30? can it be UNC or BU? I am also interested in teaching but can't guarantee I'll get into a top 20 medical school...
No. You can become faculty from anywhere if you put in the effort to get into that career track.

An N=1 is there is a cardiology professor at Harvard who is a DO.

Reactions: SpecializedSurgeon
Jul 30, 2017
Southlake, TX
www.utsouthwestern.edu
Status
Attending Physician
This may be just my case.. but I work in research at a top 20 medical school and all the academic MD's come from pedigree backgrounds and have massive CVs. Sure, if your goal is just to be faculty somewhere, then by all means a lot of the things I mentioned would not apply. But, if you're interested in faculty positions in the upper echelon of schools, what I said was probably necessary.
I'd say ours is one of the top academic centers in the world (6 nobel prize winners on campus), and our faculty have trained everywhere from Harvard to the carribbean and a multitude of institutions overseas. Again, you just need to join an academic faculty, which really doesn't take much of a "pedigree" at all

Reactions: LizzyM and DBC03
About the Ads