1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the odds of getting a residency in my hometown?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by skee lo, May 31, 2008.

1. skee lo

Removed

Medical Student
    So they're opening up a hospital in my hometown next year and I really want to do my residency there... do I have any advantage at all as a lifelong resident of this little ****ter?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Will that hospital have a residency program in whatever it is you think you want to do? If the answer is yes then you have a chance and may have an advantage given your residency status. If the answer is no (and it is quite like that this is the case) then it's a moot point.

4. buckley

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    depends on the program--how large/competitive it is
    depends on your competition --

in short, if you don't put enough info out there, it's hard to give you a straight answer and in fact, at present, that answer may not exist :) Just give it a try. As to the issue about whether or not being a long time resident helps, I reckon it will make the PD think that you are likely to rank them highly. How that will affect how they rank you highly is another variable.

5. docB

docB Chronically painful
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Based on your other post:
    I have a feeling that you are thinking about going to med school and are under the misperception that you can do residency at any hospital. Some hospitals, no where near the majority, have residency programs. You can only do residency at a hospital with a residency program. Even then not every hospital with a program has every field available.

"Musculoskeletal" and "acute care" are not specialties in the US. Do you mean orthopedic surgery and emergency medicine?

6. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is easy - 13.794% chance.

7. skee lo

Removed

Medical Student
    I'm aware that "musculoskeletal" and "acute" medicine are not specialities. I name them as broad categories of interest. I could go into physiatry, sports medicine, orthopedics, emergency, trauma surgery, orthopedic trauma, musculoskeletal radiology, etc. Any of those.

8. DrDre311

DrDre311 Makaveli
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If Florida is America's wang, what does that make Texas?

And I'm telling you, physiatry is super boring. No surgericalizations at all. I've never met a surgerion who liked physiatry.

9. HomerSD

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    docB's comment is still quite applicable. Unless this nearby hospital has residency programs in place, you can't do any training there. Some of the specialities you mentioned are fellowships, which are typically not offered outside academic medical centers (ie musculoskeletal radiology).

You also haven't mentioned what your med school stats are or if you've even been admitted. It's quite a bit more work to get into an ortho residency followed by an ortho trauma fellowship than it is to finish FM and do a sports medicine fellowship.

#8 HomerSD, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  10. skee lo

Removed

Medical Student
    It's not boring if that's what you're into.

11. DrDre311

DrDre311 Makaveli
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you a future physiatrician, then? And you didn't answer my question.

12. RTrain

RTrain National Merit Finalist
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Easy. Texas is America's pancreas: don't [mess] with it. :cool:

13. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Of course the hospital will have to have a training program in the field you want to go into. That's a given.

It may be easier to get in to those programs just because they will be brand new and not tested. Lots of people go on reputation and a new program is an unknown, some people won't want to take that chance. This may give you an opportunity to say "I am from this town, I will definitely rank you number one" and it may help.

14. docB

docB Chronically painful
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How do you know that? The OP has never come back and said if his hometown is New York, NY or Weed, CA.

15. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well I did say "may". And I am basing my pure speculation on the memory of a newer residency program in Austin Texas (pretty desirable location, beats Weed) a few years ago that people were somewhat worried about ranking given the absolute lack of info about the attendings there, the training, the number of cases etc. I was in no way suggesting that it would mean NO competition for spots in any case.

16. Trifling Jester

Trifling Jester Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Only if you are a 'little bit taller.'

-The Trifling Jester

17. Yasargil

Yasargil :\\/\//:
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I think you meant to say that Texas is America's appendix - "Cut it out, STAT!"

Sorry, couldn't help it;)