What are the odds of getting a residency in my hometown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skee lo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So they're opening up a hospital in my hometown next year and I really want to do my residency there... do I have any advantage at all as a lifelong resident of this little ****ter?

Members don't see this ad.

So they're opening up a hospital in my hometown next year and I really want to do my residency there... do I have any advantage at all as a lifelong resident of this little ****ter?

Will that hospital have a residency program in whatever it is you think you want to do? If the answer is yes then you have a chance and may have an advantage given your residency status. If the answer is no (and it is quite like that this is the case) then it's a moot point.

depends on the program--how large/competitive it is
depends on your competition --

in short, if you don't put enough info out there, it's hard to give you a straight answer and in fact, at present, that answer may not exist :) Just give it a try. As to the issue about whether or not being a long time resident helps, I reckon it will make the PD think that you are likely to rank them highly. How that will affect how they rank you highly is another variable.

Based on your other post:
I had my choices narrowed down to two areas (musculoskeletal and acute care) before I entered med school, and still have no interest in anthing else.
I have a feeling that you are thinking about going to med school and are under the misperception that you can do residency at any hospital. Some hospitals, no where near the majority, have residency programs. You can only do residency at a hospital with a residency program. Even then not every hospital with a program has every field available.

"Musculoskeletal" and "acute care" are not specialties in the US. Do you mean orthopedic surgery and emergency medicine?

"Musculoskeletal" and "acute care" are not specialties in the US. Do you mean orthopedic surgery and emergency medicine?

I'm aware that "musculoskeletal" and "acute" medicine are not specialities. I name them as broad categories of interest. I could go into physiatry, sports medicine, orthopedics, emergency, trauma surgery, orthopedic trauma, musculoskeletal radiology, etc. Any of those.

I'm aware that "musculoskeletal" and "acute" medicine are not specialities. I name them as broad categories of interest. I could go into physiatry, sports medicine, orthopedics, emergency, trauma surgery, orthopedic trauma, musculoskeletal radiology, etc. Any of those.

If Florida is America's wang, what does that make Texas?

And I'm telling you, physiatry is super boring. No surgericalizations at all. I've never met a surgerion who liked physiatry.

I have a feeling that you are thinking about going to med school and are under the misperception that you can do residency at any hospital. Some hospitals, no where near the majority, have residency programs. You can only do residency at a hospital with a residency program. Even then not every hospital with a program has every field available.

docB's comment is still quite applicable. Unless this nearby hospital has residency programs in place, you can't do any training there. Some of the specialities you mentioned are fellowships, which are typically not offered outside academic medical centers (ie musculoskeletal radiology).

You also haven't mentioned what your med school stats are or if you've even been admitted. It's quite a bit more work to get into an ortho residency followed by an ortho trauma fellowship than it is to finish FM and do a sports medicine fellowship.

Last edited:
If Florida is America's wang, what does that make Texas?

And I'm telling you, physiatry is super boring. No surgericalizations at all. I've never met a surgerion who liked physiatry.

It's not boring if that's what you're into.

Of course the hospital will have to have a training program in the field you want to go into. That's a given.

It may be easier to get in to those programs just because they will be brand new and not tested. Lots of people go on reputation and a new program is an unknown, some people won't want to take that chance. This may give you an opportunity to say "I am from this town, I will definitely rank you number one" and it may help.

It may be easier to get in to those programs just because they will be brand new and not tested. Lots of people go on reputation and a new program is an unknown, some people won't want to take that chance. This may give you an opportunity to say "I am from this town, I will definitely rank you number one" and it may help.
How do you know that? The OP has never come back and said if his hometown is New York, NY or Weed, CA.

How do you know that? The OP has never come back and said if his hometown is New York, NY or Weed, CA.

Well I did say "may". And I am basing my pure speculation on the memory of a newer residency program in Austin Texas (pretty desirable location, beats Weed) a few years ago that people were somewhat worried about ranking given the absolute lack of info about the attendings there, the training, the number of cases etc. I was in no way suggesting that it would mean NO competition for spots in any case.

Only if you are a 'little bit taller.'

-The Trifling Jester

Easy. Texas is America's pancreas: don't [mess] with it. :cool:

I think you meant to say that Texas is America's appendix - "Cut it out, STAT!"

Sorry, couldn't help it;)