What are the opportunities after doing a DDS / DMD ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HYDBDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I just wanted to know what are work options available in USA , FOR A PERSON WITHOUT A GREEN CARD OR CITIZENSHIP, after completing an advanced standing DDS / DMD program as an international student ? What kind of visa can we get to work in USA ? Can anyone sponsor us with a work visa ? How difficult / how easy will it be to get employment and the appropriate visa to work after passing the required regional licensing exams like NERB or WREB etc ? How about faculty positions in the dental schools in US ? What might be the average starting salary for a faculty position in a dental school and also for a position as a dentist if we are employed by someone ?

Because if we do an advanced standing program , it costs anywhere between 80-100K per annum depending upon the school and city where we study... I think we should also be sure that we can be employed after doing the course so that we can repay our loans...

Any input with regards to the above matter by anyone will be greatly appreciated....

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

Crystal ball... who's the richest dentist of all time (and I mean RICH!)? Will I be happy? Will I be famous? Tell me, how much money can someone make right out of school? Tell me more, tell me more!

I would stop worrying about whether you can get a job here. If I were you I would ask yourself why you'd want to move to the US for the dental experience. If it is the money/prestige etc. then you will always be unhappy. It's got to be something that no-one can take away from you. Be true to yourself. If you can make it back home as a dentist, then you can make it here in the US too as long as you pay for your time.

Crystal ball... who's the richest dentist of all time (and I mean RICH!)? Will I be happy? Will I be famous? Tell me, how much money can someone make right out of school? Tell me more, tell me more!

I would stop worrying about whether you can get a job here. If I were you I would ask yourself why you'd want to move to the US for the dental experience. If it is the money/prestige etc. then you will always be unhappy. It's got to be something that no-one can take away from you. Be true to yourself. If you can make it back home as a dentist, then you can make it here in the US too as long as you pay for your time.

Well said!
Aplause!

Members don't see this ad :)

You might be one of the most academically qualified person on this forum....

BlueToothHunter, B.D.S., D.D.S., AEGD., M.S., etc etc

You might become the richest dentist on earth , but I am sorry to say that you are poorer than the poorest at heart....

If belittling other people is your profession and hobby .... well go ahead by all means.... if thats what is going to make you so happy .... go ahead....many of your posts are on these same lines....

Thanks for your acerbic and caustic comments.....

I think the questions that HYDBDS has asked comes in everyones mind. It is better to share your experiences . Please dont discourage others.
80-100K per annum is big amount and person needs to think twice.

yes..i agree...any foreign trained dentist is gonna be thinking on ur lines..HYDBDS.. abt loans, and work , visas etc...or else y cum and work??and any person who says he isnt thinking..is a BIG hypocrite....capital letters..

Hi friends,

I just wanted to know what are work options available in USA , FOR A PERSON WITHOUT A GREEN CARD OR CITIZENSHIP, after completing an advanced standing DDS / DMD program as an international student ? What kind of visa can we get to work in USA ? Can anyone sponsor us with a work visa ? How difficult / how easy will it be to get employment and the appropriate visa to work after passing the required regional licensing exams like NERB or WREB etc ? How about faculty positions in the dental schools in US ? What might be the average starting salary for a faculty position in a dental school and also for a position as a dentist if we are employed by someone ?

Because if we do an advanced standing program , it costs anywhere between 80-100K per annum depending upon the school and city where we study... I think we should also be sure that we can be employed after doing the course so that we can repay our loans...

Any input with regards to the above matter by anyone will be greatly appreciated....

Thanks....

Can we get to know the views of senior members like NileBDS and others with regards to the above matter ?

Thanks...

Go meet a lawyer, hell meet 2!

if you a permanent resident or citizen....... you will not understand the predicament of those who are not.

If you are not a PR/citizen, God Bless you!

In California, there is a chain of dental offices, that is Western Dental. They do hire people by converting their visa status to H1. But there is 3 yrs bond. You can check with them. As far as I know for student visa holders, someone will have to sponsor for H1 visa.

Hi friends,

Thanks....

I think the OP has raised proper concerns....
Senior members and non -citizen, non-gc holders.. reply!!!!!!!

Go meet a lawyer, hell meet 2!

Hey Doc,
I am an FTD who is NOT in the US and will be joining an advanced standing program this year as an international student.. so my knowledge with regards to the above mentioned topic will obviously be less as compared to all the others who are in the US... so only I had started this thread to get to know more on this topic... I am sure most other FTDs who are going to join any advanced standing program as an international student might share the same concerns... I can meet a lawyer only when I come to the US....

Thanks.....

Can we get to know the views of senior members like NileBDS and others with regards to the above matter ?

Thanks...

Sure, knowing that I do not have a good amount of experience on this topic in particular.

The only thing I am certain of, is that you will not have much trouble finding a good paying job once you have your DDS/DMD. The only questions is WHERE ? Location location LOCATION ! Don't expect someone to sponsor you above the rest of the competition in big cities and metro areas, which are already ridden with high competition. San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange county and the such. As long as you are flexible, and are willing to go where the good jobs are (designated shortage areas, and most of the the valley), this may not even be an issue for you or anyone else for that matter.

As another poster mentioned, there may be certain clauses to that contract (sponsorship) such as a 3-year bind. Other clauses maybe geographic constraints, which may prohibit you from practicing within a certain radius (10, 20 or even 50 miles) of that office if and when you decide to leave them.
Again, as long as you are flexible as far as location is concerned, you should have a lot to look forward to. New graduates easily start at $100,000 + benefits. This is a good time to be entering the profession. Almost every state I have researched has a great deal of demand for dental professionals, and that is not expected to go away any time soon. In fact, all shortages are expected to sky rocket in the projected 20 years to come due to baby boomers going into retirement (WWII generation).

And for sure, never go into any of these sort of sponsorship or even associateship contracts, without a lawyer ! That's what they do.

I hope this helped in some way. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

In California, there is a chain of dental offices, that is Western Dental. They do hire people by converting their visa status to H1. But there is 3 yrs bond. You can check with them. As far as I know for student visa holders, someone will have to sponsor for H1 visa.

Thanks Doc for your reply... BTW , are you joining at NYU this year or have you got an admission elsewhere ?

Sure, knowing that I do not have a good amount of experience on this topic in particular.

The only thing I am certain of, is that you will not have much trouble finding a good paying job once you have your DDS/DMD. The only questions is WHERE ? Location location LOCATION ! Don't expect someone to sponsor you above the rest of the competition in big cities and metro areas, which are already ridden with high competition. San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange county and the such. As long as you are flexible, and are willing to go where the good jobs are (designated shortage areas, and most of the the valley), this may not even be an issue for you or anyone else for that matter.

As another poster mentioned, there may be certain clauses to that contract (sponsorship) such as a 3-year bind. Other clauses maybe geographic constraints, which may prohibit you from practicing within a certain radius (10, 20 or even 50 miles) of that office if and when you decide to leave them.
Again, as long as you are flexible as far as location is concerned, you should have a lot to look forward to. New graduates easily start at $100,000 + benefits. This is a good time to be entering the profession. Almost every state I have researched has a great deal of demand for dental professionals, and that is not expected to go away any time soon. In fact, all shortages are expected to sky rocket in the projected 20 years to come due to baby boomers going into retirement (WWII generation).

And for sure, never go into any of these sort of sponsorship or even associateship contracts, without a lawyer ! That's what they do.

I hope this helped in some way. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Hey Doc,
Thanks a ton for your time and elaborate reply ... your post is definitely very helpful.... thats why I appreciate you and admire you a lot for your untiring selfless efforts to help newcomers on this forum...

Hey Doc,
Thanks a ton for your time and elaborate reply ... your post is definitely very helpful.... thats why I appreciate you and admire you a lot for your untiring selfless efforts to help newcomers on this forum...

No problem. I also realized that I left out an important part of your question, which i'll go back and respond to now.

Hi friends,

I just wanted to know what are work options available in USA , FOR A PERSON WITHOUT A GREEN CARD OR CITIZENSHIP, after completing an advanced standing DDS / DMD program as an international student ?

Almost anything you choose to do. Private practice (associate, independent contractor), teaching at school, research, public health, ...).

What kind of visa can we get to work in USA ?

All I know is that it's called a work visa.

Can anyone sponsor us with a work visa ?

Of course. That's what it's made for. Just like when you will be enrolled in school, the school converts your visa to a student visa, so will you employer.

How difficult / how easy will it be to get employment and the appropriate visa to work after passing the required regional licensing exams like NERB or WREB etc ?

Not difficult, but also not very easy. You have to pick the right location, where there is a great need for dental practitioners. Obviously, having a good CV and doing well in school always helps.

How about faculty positions in the dental schools in US ?

These are readily available once you graduate. They pay very very little. Most junior faculty are actually volunteers.

What might be the average starting salary for a faculty position in a dental school and also for a position as a dentist if we are employed by someone ?

Junior faculty: Maybe $30k - $40k + Full benefits
Associate: $100k + Some benefits.

Hi friends,

I just wanted to know what are work options available in USA , FOR A PERSON WITHOUT A GREEN CARD OR CITIZENSHIP, after completing an advanced standing DDS / DMD program as an international student ?

Almost anything you choose to do. Private practice (associate, independent contractor), teaching at school, research, public health, ...).

What kind of visa can we get to work in USA ?

All I know is that it's called a work visa.

Can anyone sponsor us with a work visa ?

Of course. That's what it's made for. Just like when you will be enrolled in school, the school converts your visa to a student visa, so will you employer.

How difficult / how easy will it be to get employment and the appropriate visa to work after passing the required regional licensing exams like NERB or WREB etc ?

Not difficult, but also not very easy. You have to pick the right location, where there is a great need for dental practitioners. Obviously, having a good CV and doing well in school always helps.

How about faculty positions in the dental schools in US ?

These are readily available once you graduate. They pay very very little. Most junior faculty are actually volunteers.

What might be the average starting salary for a faculty position in a dental school and also for a position as a dentist if we are employed by someone ?

Junior faculty: Maybe $30k - $40k + Full benefits
Associate: $100k + Some benefits.

Shukran jazeelan tabeeb...inta quaeese giddan....

HYD-BDS,

I was wondering if you got any info on what class of people FTDs come under for H1 Visa. The UG cader or the Masters Cader? We are doing 3 years of UG in NYU. So our visa chances will be less than the masters cader since the introduction of lottery system has made it difficult for most people to get H1.

If any recent graduate can help us with this, it would be great.

Also i dont understand the discouragement people have shown towards this topic. there are so many FTDs getting in every year into dental schools in the US. Isnt this a valid topic on the international dental forum?? i am surprised to see so much of sarcasm and discouraging replies.

Good question akshi, I think since DDS/DMD is a professional degree & post Bachelors so it should be at par with Master 's degree!

HYD-BDS,

I was wondering if you got any info on what class of people FTDs come under for H1 Visa. The UG cader or the Masters Cader? We are doing 3 years of UG in NYU. So our visa chances will be less than the masters cader since the introduction of lottery system has made it difficult for most people to get H1.

If any recent graduate can help us with this, it would be great.

Also i dont understand the discouragement people have shown towards this topic. there are so many FTDs getting in every year into dental schools in the US. Isnt this a valid topic on the international dental forum?? i am surprised to see so much of sarcasm and discouraging replies.

Hi akshi,
I really have no idea about it... this is a very valid point.... as you said, may be some senior members / recent graduates could give their input on this topic regarding the H1... it will be very useful to people like us....

as per recent graduates, dentists come under Master's or post bachelor's cader for H1 visa. Getting sponsors is not very difficult but getting a visa is competitive nowdays. Anybody who could share his opinion as to how difficlut/easy it is to get the visa from USCIS