What are the Opportunities for Epidemiologists with PhDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a pre-med student but lately I've been becoming more interested in epidemiology/research/public health with a focus on immunology and virology.

If instead of going for an MD degree, I go for a MS in Epidemiology and then a PhD in Public Health/Epidemiology what types of jobs will be available to me apart from teaching??

and if anyone knows, normally how much (estimate) does a person with a PhD in Epi make??

Thanks a bunch in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Many people with Doctoral degrees work for the government. Potential include local and state Public Health Departments. They can also consider larger institutions such as NIH, FDA and CDC. There are private firms as well and Pharmaceutical companies. From what I can gather, it's a good time to be on the job market with a PhD in Epidemiology.

With a PhD in Epidemiology, you should be able to start at $70-80K+ or higher. I think you're making a good decision.

Many epidemiologists, particularly those focusing on non-infectious diseases (cardiovascular, cancer, perinatal, psychiatric), are employed as faculty members at research universities but teach very little, if at all. The work is purely research (write grant, conduct study, analyze data, write for publication, attend professional meetings, rinse, repeat).