What are the Opportunities for Epidemiologists with PhDs?

determined18

10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2008
New York
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hey I'm a pre-med student but lately I've been becoming more interested in epidemiology/research/public health with a focus on immunology and virology.

If instead of going for an MD degree, I go for a MS in Epidemiology and then a PhD in Public Health/Epidemiology what types of jobs will be available to me apart from teaching??

and if anyone knows, normally how much (estimate) does a person with a PhD in Epi make??

Thanks a bunch in advance :)

abcabc1

10+ Year Member
    Apr 21, 2008
      Many people with Doctoral degrees work for the government. Potential include local and state Public Health Departments. They can also consider larger institutions such as NIH, FDA and CDC. There are private firms as well and Pharmaceutical companies. From what I can gather, it's a good time to be on the job market with a PhD in Epidemiology.

With a PhD in Epidemiology, you should be able to start at $70-80K+ or higher. I think you're making a good decision.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Mar 7, 2005
      1. Academic Administration
        Many epidemiologists, particularly those focusing on non-infectious diseases (cardiovascular, cancer, perinatal, psychiatric), are employed as faculty members at research universities but teach very little, if at all. The work is purely research (write grant, conduct study, analyze data, write for publication, attend professional meetings, rinse, repeat).

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.