What are the prerequisites to being a good doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makaka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several hours ago something happened. I witnessed a fatal accident. A car slammed into a parked car, killing 1 person, injuring another, and starting a fire that destroyed 5 cars.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/27/MNGPNIH1VV3.DTL

As a matriculating medical student, what does one do in a situation like this?
What does one do if he/she is already a physician?
Does it matter if you are a man or a woman?

Are the thoughts that run through your head in such situations the determinants of your altruism? Should a doctor put his/her self-interest or well-being second to that of others?

Members don't see this ad.

1. call 911
2. clear the area of people
3. get the injured person clear of the vehicle, if you can
4. do what you can for the injured person, at least stop bleeding. If you are a medical person, you should carry a first aid kit in your car with 1 way valve mask, gloves, gauze etc...
5. If you are a doc, you can't release to lower care (paramedics) so you are along for the ride. there goes your saturday.
6. Again if you are a doc, you need your tools and tests, all of which wont be there. All you will be able to do is rescue breathing, control bleeding, and do CPR until the medics arrive. Then you can give 02 (whoop de doo), stop more bleeding, splints and some prelim checks, then package the patient to the hospital where you pass it on to the ER.

remember not to get yourself killed or infected with Hep

if you are worried about getting hurt/sick, wait till someone pulls the people clear, then go help ;-)

Unless you would be ok with driving by.
Regarding selfinterest vs that of others, I assume you mean getting hurt at the scene? That's a personal call. Would I dive into a burning car with no protective gear? No. Would I get close to pull someone out? Yes. Cars don't really explode, I would be more worried about an airbag going off while I am reaching in the car and breaking my arms/back

why would it matter if you were a man or woman?

there is no such thing as altruism.