what are the second tier of carribean schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apollo18

Reaction score
it seems like what used to be the top 4 schools now became the top 3 only as in ross sgu and auc.
i am wondering what are the tier 2 of schools? for example if someone cant get into the better schools due to low gpa, what options would be the best bet?
thx

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't even get into the big 3 than they probably did you a favor as you likely have a 0% chance of finishing a medical program if they won't even take your money.

We all take a risk going carib but if you can't even get into SGU, Ross, or AUC you must have some SERIOUS issues going on beyond the typical low GPA/scores. Big 3 tend to weed out sub 490 MCATs and if you're in that group then either it's time to retake again or change paths. 25-30% of applicants don't graduate from Ross. If you think that's bad, tier 2 has upwards of 50-65%+ attrition so it isn't even a gamble, it's a probable loss.

With all that aside, T2 carib would likely be AUA and SABA simply because they have their accreditation in good standing. SJSM/Trinity and the others are at risk of losing relevant accreditation for the 2023/24 change so there is a chance you can't even apply to US residencies after finishing from there.

Reactions: 5 users
First of all, no one should be going to a Caribbean school with all these new DO schools in the states. If you apply to one of the top 3 Carib schools and they don't accept you, then you're probably so bad that maybe Medical school is not for you because they accept most people with a pulse and a bank account.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can't even get into the big 3 than they probably did you a favor as you likely have a 0% chance of finishing a medical program if they won't even take your money.

We all take a risk going carib but if you can't even get into SGU, Ross, or AUC you must have some SERIOUS issues going on beyond the typical low GPA/scores. Big 3 tend to weed out sub 490 MCATs and if you're in that group then either it's time to retake again or change paths. 25-30% of applicants don't graduate from Ross. If you think that's bad, tier 2 has upwards of 50-65%+ attrition so it isn't even a gamble, it's a probable loss.

With all that aside, T2 carib would likely be AUA and SABA simply because they have their accreditation in good standing. SJSM/Trinity and the others are at risk of losing relevant accreditation for the 2023/24 change so there is a chance you can't even apply to US residencies after finishing from there.

firstly thanks for the reply gambino, i know my hope is to get into the top 3 but i believe my gpa (2.6) is limiting me, i am writing mcat for first time but i was going to try to see if i got acceptance without mcat in a tier 2 school cuz i doubt tier 1 will accept me without a mcat attempt, unless im mistaken. with no mcat, and 2.6 gpa do u think ANY tier 1 school will accept me? if not then i hope a 500+ mcat can save the day?

firstly thanks for the reply gambino, i know my hope is to get into the top 3 but i believe my gpa (2.6) is limiting me, i am writing mcat for first time but i was going to try to see if i got acceptance without mcat in a tier 2 school cuz i doubt tier 1 will accept me without a mcat attempt, unless im mistaken. with no mcat, and 2.6 gpa do u think ANY tier 1 school will accept me? if not then i hope a 500+ mcat can save the day?
493+ will get you into AUC and probably at least into the charter program at Ross. 496+ will probably be the same for SGU but if you get over a 500 id look into a post-bacc for a shot at DO waaaay before carib. Anyone thinking about carib should attempt at least 2-3 cycles with improvement for a US school before going with cairb

How many credits do you have with that 2.6? You need to get both of your GPA’s above 3.0, take the MCAT when your average score is at least in the 500s, and then apply DO and lower tier MD.

thx for the replies! i am actually a canadian student not sure how that effects my chances to get in as well but i know EVERYONE says do to DO and skip carribean but tbh I am ready to goto Carribean as long as i can get into a good school

thx for the replies! i am actually a canadian student not sure how that effects my chances to get in as well but i know EVERYONE says do to DO and skip carribean but tbh I am ready to goto Carribean as long as i can get into a good school

I'll throw another perspective on the table on top of what's been discussed already. You also have to think about matching. Getting in is one thing, but if you don't match, your MD is pretty much useless. From what i heard, matching into residency through CARMS is extremely hard if you did not graduate from a canadian med school. Maybe a canadian can shed a light on topic, but i just hear about how hard it is to get into residency in canada if you didnt go to med school in canada.

If your goals are to match in the US as a canadian, that poses another hurdle. The NRMP match favors US American medical graduates (AMGs) over IMGs. Then it gets even more complicated. If you're an IMG, you're split into two categories: US-IMG (those who are US citizen or green card holder/permanent resident) and non-US IMGs (pretty much everyone else aka not a US citizen/GC/PS). Some residencies don't support any visas, so it makes it harder to match as a canadian because your pool of residencies to apply to is lower due to that reason. This makes it "slightly" easier for US IMGs to match into US residencies as they don't really need a visa, but it's still a lot more difficult than US AMGs (MD/DO).

I'm at the big 3 and I'll throw this out there. I can say that there is a good portion of students who go to the Caribbeans think they have the same shot at competitive specialties or want to do them, like neurosurgery, ortho, derm, plastics, ENT, etc. Not saying, it's impossible to get into those competitive specialties, but it's hard and you have to really put yourself out there and find a physician-mentor who can talk for you behind the closed doors. It's already an uphill battle, and going into these fields, you have to be at the top of your game and even then, those PDs favor US grads more than IMGs.

The reality is that if you go to the caribbeans, you have to be 110% fine with doing primary care (internal med, family med, peds) at the core esp if one does not match into those competitive specialties( given that you have no red flags up to the point of Match). The majority match into IM/FM. Of course, other IMG friendly programs include EM, anaesthesiology, maybe path, but overall the primary care specialties are usually more IMG friendly. If you think you would be unhappy at any of these specialties, then I suggest you work hard now and try to get into a canadian or US med school.

As a Canadian student you won't qualify for US loans, and most Canadian banks will not lend you the money unsecured. How do you plan to pay for this?

it seems like what used to be the top 4 schools now became the top 3 only as in ross sgu and auc.
i am wondering what are the tier 2 of schools? for example if someone cant get into the better schools due to low gpa, what options would be the best bet?
thx
Best bet would be a different career. Not joking

I'll throw another perspective on the table on top of what's been discussed already. You also have to think about matching. Getting in is one thing, but if you don't match, your MD is pretty much useless. From what i heard, matching into residency through CARMS is extremely hard if you did not graduate from a canadian med school. Maybe a canadian can shed a light on topic, but i just hear about how hard it is to get into residency in canada if you didnt go to med school in canada.

If your goals are to match in the US as a canadian, that poses another hurdle. The NRMP match favors US American medical graduates (AMGs) over IMGs. Then it gets even more complicated. If you're an IMG, you're split into two categories: US-IMG (those who are US citizen or green card holder/permanent resident) and non-US IMGs (pretty much everyone else aka not a US citizen/GC/PS). Some residencies don't support any visas, so it makes it harder to match as a canadian because your pool of residencies to apply to is lower due to that reason. This makes it "slightly" easier for US IMGs to match into US residencies as they don't really need a visa, but it's still a lot more difficult than US AMGs (MD/DO).

I'm at the big 3 and I'll throw this out there. I can say that there is a good portion of students who go to the Caribbeans think they have the same shot at competitive specialties or want to do them, like neurosurgery, ortho, derm, plastics, ENT, etc. Not saying, it's impossible to get into those competitive specialties, but it's hard and you have to really put yourself out there and find a physician-mentor who can talk for you behind the closed doors. It's already an uphill battle, and going into these fields, you have to be at the top of your game and even then, those PDs favor US grads more than IMGs.

The reality is that if you go to the caribbeans, you have to be 110% fine with doing primary care (internal med, family med, peds) at the core esp if one does not match into those competitive specialties( given that you have no red flags up to the point of Match). The majority match into IM/FM. Of course, other IMG friendly programs include EM, anaesthesiology, maybe path, but overall the primary care specialties are usually more IMG friendly. If you think you would be unhappy at any of these specialties, then I suggest you work hard now and try to get into a canadian or US med school.

thanks for the info! i am fine with being a family doctor or anything else primary care, that was my goal the whole time! and i am also fine if im stuck in states

As a Canadian student you won't qualify for US loans, and most Canadian banks will not lend you the money unsecured. How do you plan to pay for this?

not bragging or anything but i am grateful that i have endowement from my grandparents and are completely fine if the money ends up going to waste. thats not the goal but they want me to try my hardest if i goto states and worse case scenario if i dont get a match then career #2