Sep 8, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
Hi how are you,

I work at a Pain Management practice where we have enough volume to open our own Toxicology lab as opposed to going through different companies.

Was wondering what all the startup costs would be?

We normally do a Urine test for Narcotics, Recreational Drugs, Psychiatric Drugs mainly.

I'd imagine a large portion of the startup costs would be towards keeping the in office lab extremely secure and sealed off from the rest of the office. Any advice on what we should be looking at?

Thanks

shoal

Oinker!
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2005
Status
I'm guessing this question would be better asked in the pathology forum. I'm not aware of any toxicoligist actually running their own labs. Good luck

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Birdstrike

7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
Status
Hi how are you,

I work at a Pain Management practice where we have enough volume to open our own Toxicology lab as opposed to going through different companies.

Was wondering what all the startup costs would be?

We normally do a Urine test for Narcotics, Recreational Drugs, Psychiatric Drugs mainly.

I'd imagine a large portion of the startup costs would be towards keeping the in office lab extremely secure and sealed off from the rest of the office. Any advice on what we should be looking at?

Thanks
Ask this in the Pain forum. I doubt the few tox guys on here own their own labs.

Daiphon

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
The Windy City
Status
Attending Physician
Ask this in the Pain forum. I doubt the few tox guys on here own their own labs.
Yep. Even the ones I know in PP are part of a multidisciplinary group where lab functions are outsourced to the commercial labs (Quest, NMS, LabCorp, etc).

As for the UDS stuff, though, material costs aren't high (buy cartridges in bulk) but the lab certification and credentialing fees can get expensive... thus the outsourcing, even for something as routine as the UDS.

DeadCactus

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yep. Even the ones I know in PP are part of a multidisciplinary group where lab functions are outsourced to the commercial labs (Quest, NMS, LabCorp, etc).

As for the UDS stuff, though, material costs aren't high (buy cartridges in bulk) but the lab certification and credentialing fees can get expensive... thus the outsourcing, even for something as routine as the UDS.
What kind of private practice stuff do toxicologists do?

Reactions: Daiphon

Daiphon

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
The Windy City
Status
Attending Physician
What kind of private practice stuff do toxicologists do?
Clinically, occupational/industrial work, outpatient consultations (and inpatient), forensics, and of course deal with NUTS (no underlying toxicologic syndrome).

Also legal work & consulting, too. It's a smallish field in terms of absolute numbers, so many opportunities to get out of the ED, if motivated & inclined.