what are the top med schools that match with good residency programs in plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelG17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Sophomore majoring in lyman briggs Human Biology at Michigan State University. (hopefully some non-michigan people have heard of the lyman briggs college. It's a competitive pre-med college at michigan state). Anyways, I am an ambitious student, going full throttle to become a successful plastic surgeon. I would like to hear some opinions on good medical schools that have a high match rate with great plastics programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Sophomore majoring in lyman briggs Human Biology at Michigan State University. (hopefully some non-michigan people have heard of the lyman briggs college. It's a competitive pre-med college at michigan state). Anyways, I am an ambitious student, going full throttle to become a successful plastic surgeon. I would like to hear some opinions on good medical schools that have a high match rate with great plastics programs.

please correct me if i am wrong, but there is only one medical school in the US that guarantees this--Stewart University Medical School.
But i heard they only accept peeps with 4.9 GPA, and 46 MCAT:rolleyes:

please correct me if i am wrong, but there is only one medical school in the US that guarantees this--Stewart University Medical School.
But i heard they only accept peeps with 4.9 GPA, and 46 MCAT:rolleyes:

That was last year's stats. The trend now is AT LEAST a 5.9 GPA, 56 MCAT, and 10+ babies saved in a third-world country. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, this will be too good.
:corny:

Plastic Surgeons- saving the world one boob job at a time.

FYI, I want to focus in reconstructive plastic surgery.

I am surprised that someone was able to one-up VandyDerm.

There aren't many med schools that have a "high match rate" with good plastics programs - because a) there are not very many people who want to do [or could justifiably even dream about applying for] straight integrated plastics, and b) there aren't THAT many integrated plastics programs.

In any case, integrated plastics is so extremely competitive that it depends on the individual student - not on the school. I mean, it is REALLY competitive - worse than derm, in many cases.

If you're really that into integrated plastics, you should consider going to schools that are affiliated with an integrated PRS program. By being a medical student there, it will be easier for you to participate in their research and they will get to know you. That may help you match there.

If you're talking about independent plastics (i.e. plastics fellowships), then you can't tell that from a match list. You enter those fellowships from residency, and that information is not found on a school's match list.

im sure people here will say" any school as long as you do well, rock the boards, and get good letters will give you the same opportunities". this is true to some extent, but all of the above, AT any top program will open more doors for you. Just go to the best medical school you get into, assuming you are comfortable in that specific environment and more doors will open up for you.students from top med schools, tend to get residencies in better programs, thus, a better chance at fellowship. maybe its just the caliber of students at top programs, maybe not. just correlation, in no way am i saying its causation.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was last year's stats. The trend now is AT LEAST a 5.9 GPA, 56 MCAT, and 10+ babies saved in a third-world country. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

10+ babies or boobies?

oh wait, i get it, third world country girls woudn't be attractive(aka--won't conceive babies) without the boobies... so in a way, it is saving 10+ babies--through boobies of course...:eek:

Ok seriously though: If your are as motivated as you say, you can get to plastics from any U.S. Medical School.
Expect many sarcastic remarks from others b/c:
To know you want to go into plastics now (being a sophomore in undergrad) is like being eight years old and saying you want to be an astronaut. Many things will change from now until you will choose, and plastics is a very competitive residency.

UCLA has had a good number of people match into plastics based on recent match lists. And certainly being in LA you will get good exposure to the field, though more the cosmetic side of things.

In all fairness I was naive once in college thinking that plastics would be cool to get into. Then I found out that they have to go through 7 or more years of post graduate residency/fellowship, and they work longer hours than many specialties to pay their malpractice premiums because they are a high risk specialty for lawsuits. Also, once I saw that the annual premiums they have to pay for malpractice insurance could give a family of five a nice house and car, I lost all interest.

You already made your first mistake by attending MSU. That's strike one. In plastics, it's three strikes and you're out. Don't make a second mistake by attending a medical school not named Harvard. That would definitely be strike two. Once you get into Harvard, get at least a 270 on step 1. Anything less than 270 and it's strike three, you're out--get ready for family practice in North Dakota. Good luck and I hope to see you on Dr. 90210.

Haha alright, I appreciate the confidence booster guys. As for coming from MSU, I'm doing alright, ~3.8 GPA, and currently volunteering at a surgery & recovery unit at a local hospital, where I get to observe surgeries everyweek and learning everything I can. So, say what you want fisko82, but I will continue my studies and will do my best to get into one of those top tier med schools.

p.s. I'm more of a House & Nip/Tuck guy

Last edited:
Haha alright, I appreciate the confidence booster guys. As for coming from MSU, I'm doing alright, ~3.8 GPA, and currently volunteering at a surgery & recovery unit at a local hospital, where I get to observe surgeries everyweek and learning everything I can. So, say what you want fisko82, but I will continue my studies and will do my best to get into one of those top tier med schools.

I was being facetious (I went to UM, so naturally I have to give you a hard time for going to MSU). Glad to hear you're doing well at State; both my current roommate and gf went there for undergrad and loved it there.

PS: I have MSU in the Elite 8, soo they better beat memphis!

You already made your first mistake by attending MSU. That's strike one. In plastics, it's three strikes and you're out. Don't make a second mistake by attending a medical school not named Harvard. That would definitely be strike two. Once you get into Harvard, get at least a 270 on step 1. Anything less than 270 and it's strike three, you're out--get ready for family practice in North Dakota. Good luck and I hope to see you on Dr. 90210.

actually, to make it on dr 90210, you need to get SOME kind of degree from harvard, not necessarily your M.D. but you must always preface every sentence with "when i was at harvard", even if it doesn't make grammatical or semantic sense.

actually, to make it on dr 90210, you need to get SOME kind of degree from harvard, not necessarily your M.D. but you must always preface every sentence with "when i was at harvard", even if it doesn't make grammatical or semantic sense.

Not necessarily a degree from Harvard, just taking a class at Harvard should suffice; After all, Harvard sells, just like sex!

Not necessarily a degree from Harvard, just taking a class at Harvard should suffice; After all, Harvard sells, just like sex!

then again, the only thing you would need to have done so that you could technically say "when i was at harvard" is set foot on the campus, so just do that. hell, then you can even say, "when i was at harvard med school, right after i was at harvard law..."

then again, the only thing you would need to have done so that you could technically say "when i was at harvard" is set foot on the campus, so just do that. hell, then you can even say, "when i was at harvard med school, right after i was at harvard law..."

My point, exactly.

My point, exactly. You've got to love that name. Or you can change your name to Harvard!

I'm currently wrapping up second year at U Miami med and have a good friend who is a 4th year here who just matched into integrated plastics at UCSF...quite a brutal accomplishment. That's a top spot right there and it goes to show you that a graduate from a non-top-50 school can get whatever he wants if he's good enough. It all depends on the individual. He is AOA top ten in his class, scored a 260+ step 1 and has like 10 publications in plastics though, so he is really beyond competitive. The school you attend doesn't really matter.

For now keep your grades as straight A's as possible, keep the volunteering/service nonsense going, shadow a few docs to say you have direct exposure, make sure you can nail some stellar letters by the time it comes time to apply (meet important faculty and become their buddy) and of course make sure you destroy the MCAT. Don't go all crazy about one specialty just yet...for now now focus on getting into the medical school YOU want (doesn't have to be harvard) and enjoy your life. Once you're in, then you worry about specialties. It's like worrying about taking driving lessons when you're like 7 and just off your bike's training wheels. One step at a time.

By the time you get into med school, you may even realize you don't want to do that specialty. It's not all glam like on tv. 8+ post-school training years with REAL crappy hours and lifestyle and sucky pay for it all, and even once you enter private practice, if you want the big bucks, you have to earn them...by pretty much marrying your job for a living. Otherwise, you have to settle for more average pay and lifestyle despite all the training. It's like I told my 8-year old nephew who idolizes some marine biologist dude on discovery channel who has a "cool show about sharks" and stuff...yeah, that ONE marine biologist is making a killing and is famous with his own TV show, but besides him, how many other marine biologists are out there with PhD's and earning $20k a year (barely enough to make a decent living if you ever decide to get married and have a family)? That blew his mind.

Get into med school, ace your first two years, destroy the step 1, do research and THEN if you still love the field, go for it.

Yeah. By the way, you guys did well today!

Haha very kind of you to say so. I can't believe I didn't think to rub it in when responding to you. :p

It's going to be a tight run in. I hope you guys can beat Man U at Old Trafford. Liverpool are bums and completely undependable.

how "sophomoric" :laugh:

pun intended

harvard?psh..its all about blank university of the city of new york.

There are only 92 match spots per year in plastics, you'd be lucky to get into any program - I wouldn't be too picky if I were you. And btw, the vast majority of all your training in plastic surgery will be reconstructive, so you should be all set if that's really what you want to do.

Also keep in mind that if you want to specialize even further (in hand, craniofacial, etc) you'll have to do an additional fellowship - so tack on another year to your already ridiculously intense training...basically I would wait til you get to med school and do an elective in PRS before you decide, you may be surprised at your experience.

Hey, I'm with you! I'm a sophomore as well wanting to go into plastics. My dad is a plastic surgeon, so I've gotten plenty of exposure in the field, including shadowing surgeries of my fellow friends;)
Its an amazing field and even though you are not "saving a life" it does not mean its not life altering. Just a food for thought ;-)

Honestly, the responses on this thread are exactly why people keep to themselves. They get stupid responses to *sometimes* legitimate questions.

You all should stop assuming that everyone that is going into plastics is doing so to get rich, play around with boobs, and live in SoCal for the rest of their life. And to think, some of you will be going to med school next year. So much maturity in this thread. And even if it's sarcasm (which I know it is), it's completely unwarranted.

OP, matching into plastics is more about you than the school. I'd say any med school with a decent reputation in research will give you the opportunity to get where you want. It's not about the school, it's about you.

im sure people here will say" any school as long as you do well, rock the boards, and get good letters will give you the same opportunities". this is true to some extent, but all of the above, AT any top program will open more doors for you. Just go to the best medical school you get into, assuming you are comfortable in that specific environment and more doors will open up for you.students from top med schools, tend to get residencies in better programs, thus, a better chance at fellowship. maybe its just the caliber of students at top programs, maybe not. just correlation, in no way am i saying its causation.

Ah, of course! I also would suggest attending BMS, and then, if you're lucky, you'll be accepted into residency at the House of God

Honestly, the responses on this thread are exactly why people keep to themselves. They get stupid responses to *sometimes* legitimate questions.

You all should stop assuming that everyone that is going into plastics is doing so to get rich, play around with boobs, and live in SoCal for the rest of their life. And to think, some of you will be going to med school next year. So much maturity in this thread. And even if it's sarcasm (which I know it is), it's completely unwarranted.

OP, matching into plastics is more about you than the school. I'd say any med school with a decent reputation in research will give you the opportunity to get where you want. It's not about the school, it's about you.

I couldn't agree with you more...

Every guy wants to play around with boobs all his life, its only natural.