What are the top-ranked people in your respective schools going into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

recycledpaper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the year, lots of variety with everything from ortho to fm. A few years ago the top student went into EM and landed a big name program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top person in my class went FamilyMed. Top few people actually.

We had quite a few EM and quite a few Gen Surg folks in terms of the non primary-care stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Top student (now resident) went to a community IM program

Can’t say for sure since (thankfully) nobody announces their class rank to the world. But the ones that I suspect did well went into urology, ENT, and EM (a lot of EM).

Top student is choosing Ophthalmology. Killed all board exams. The person is losing their vision due to a genetic disorder and entered medicine because he wanted to help children with similar condition. Truly an amazing individual and overflows with humility and selfless passion

Edit: Description is of an MD student not DO. FWIW

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Neuro.

Jk.

Purely based on usmle, Ortho, Ophtho, and IM

Reactions: 2 users
Haha I wish someone made a “what are the middle of the road people at your schools going into?” thread

Reactions: 3 users
Top people in my class are going gen surg, IM, rads, peds, EM

I'm gonna guess that 1/3 of the top ranked at my school will burnout

Members don't see this ad :)
Top student is choosing Ophthalmology. Killed all board exams. The person is losing their vision due to a genetic disorder and entered medicine because he wanted to help children with similar condition. Truly an amazing individual and overflows with humility and selfless passion

Doesn't working ophthalmology depend heavily on having good vision?

In year 2 right now, but I know of one top 5%-er who wants FM but I've heard from some other top students that they'll build interests based on board scores.

I'm top 10 and know a decent amount of whose ahead of me. 1 is IM, 2 to 3 are FM, 1 ortho, 1 undecided. I'm planning on EM. Of course class rank doesn't account for boards though.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the better question is, where are the 240+ step one scorers in your class going?

Reactions: 11 users
Top of my class: going to university IM. Will let you guys know where I end up matching in March.

Reactions: 4 users
There are less of them at DO schools than you would think
Fraid so, maybe one per school, and frankly I sincerely doubt ACGME PDs give DO class rank much though.

Fraid so, maybe one per school, and frankly I sincerely doubt ACGME PDs give DO class rank much though.

Yeah people throw around "240+" like it's some doable score but don't realize how challenging it actually is.

This is what I thought initially until schools like CUSOM had around 7 people score around 240+ or above (yes a few even had a 260+). I still agree it is hard, but the numbers are slightly higher than we think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Of the past four graduating Classes, the top five students from each Class went into:
FM x4
Gen Surg x3
EM
IM x2
Diagnostic Rads x2
Peds x2
ENT
Derm
Neuro
OBGyn
1sx MilMatch, specialty unknown

Yeah, that's 19, but I can't find the 20th person on google!

All but 5 were ACGME residencies.

Of the 13 ACGME residencies, 7 are at University hospitals.

Reactions: 4 users
I think the better question is, where are the 240+ step one scorers in your class going?

The even better question is, where are the highest scoring on Step 1 students who also have strong research under strong mentors going?

The even better question is, where are the highest scoring on Step 1 students who also have strong research under strong mentors going?

Family medicine isn't that obvious

Fraid so, maybe one per school

Yeah people throw around "240+" like it's some doable score but don't realize how challenging it actually is.

Lol no, either my school has a bunch of geniuses every year or you are simply wrong. There is generally ~7 or more per class that break 240, and always a handful of 250+. Like was mentioned above even CUSOM had a few people break 260

Family medicine isn't that obvious

EDIT. I get it now. I am bad at reading without punctuation :D

And I don't understand the obsession with Step 1 - a high Step 1 is mandatory, but it will still only get you so far. You really need a lot more to match as a DO into competitive places.

And I don't understand the obsession with Step 1 - a high Step 1 is mandatory, but it will still only get you so far. You really need a lot more to match as a DO into competitive places.

Yep, once you hit a certain point on boards it becomes about the other things on your app. You have to look exactly like an MD applicant except for the degree letters. I’m starting to think the reason we don’t see lots of DOs in some of the competitive fields/programs isn’t because of bias, although it plays a part, but because the majority of DO applicants simply aren’t competitive for those fields or programs. The ones that put together the right kind of app actually get a decently fair shake based on what I’ve seen.

My class had a couple of people break 250 for step 1 (including myself) and 260 for step 2 (including myself). The class before me also had a similar number of people break 250 and 260 for both step 1 and step 2. Also, only about half of my class took step 1 from what I remember.

My class had a couple of people break 250 for step 1 (including myself) and 260 for step 2 (including myself). The class before me also had a similar number of people break 250 and 260 for both step 1 and step 2. Also, only about half of my class took step 1 from what I remember.
About 10 got 250s and at least one mid 260s on step 1 at my school. Also about 1/3rd opted out on usmle.

As I mentioned, a handful of the 250s+ are going for ortho, one is doing ophtho, one rads, two IM, two neuro, and one Ob.

About 10 got 250s and at least one mid 260s on step 1 at my school. Also about 1/3rd opted out on usmle.

As I mentioned, a handful of the 250s+ are going for ortho, one is doing ophtho, one rads, two IM, two neuro, and one Ob.

I find this really hard to believe. Ten out of how many who took the Step 1 at your school? I am pretty suspicious that your classmates are hyper-inflating their scores.

I find this really hard to believe. Ten out of how many who took the Step 1 at your school? I am pretty suspicious that your classmates are hyper-inflating their scores.

His school has 300+ people, I don't think its hyperinflation.

Our last graduating class had handful or so of 250s, from what i can see one 260(data im looking at is a bit hard to interpret), and a solid amount of 240s. Edit: we also have a large class size though

Shockingly somebody with a 245-250 went *dun..dun...dun* AOA FM, almost like people do specialties they like at locations they like regardless of competitiveness (I know you arent discussing that, just felt like mentioning it)

There are less of them at DO schools than you would think
Wait wut. We had probably over 20. With close to 10 hovering around 250-260....
Why do people speak so confidently about **** they are clearly clueless about?

Reactions: 8 users
You’re a FIVE YEAR member and you think this misinformed crap? What year in school are you?

You’re a FIVE YEAR member and you think this misinformed crap? What year in school are you?

The math doesn't line up. Between 250 and 255 is is around the 90th percentile for Step 1. I'd like to see proof before just believing lots of DO students who are saying they are getting between 250 and 260. I don't think you realize how different a "240" is from a "250"or "255" in percentiles, because you said "hovering around 250 or 260" as if they are similar percentile scores. KCUMB has some pretty strong students, and I haven't heard of anyone here saying "a bunch of people got in the 250s". 240+? Sure, we have a handful of those, I've heard numerous upperclassmen give this number for the higher scoring groups.

Last edited:
The math doesn't line up. Between 250 and 255 is is around the 90th percentile for Step 1. I'd like to see proof before just believing lots of DO students who are saying they are getting between 250 and 260. I don't think you realize how different a "240" is from a "250"or "255" in percentiles, because you said "hovering around 250 or 260" as if they are similar percentile scores. KCUMB has some pretty strong students, and I haven't heard of anyone here saying "a bunch of people got in the 250s". 240+? Sure, we have a handful of those, I've heard numerous upperclassmen give this number for the higher scoring groups.
Bro I got these scores i.e 240s on step 1 and 260s on step 2. I know what it takes. I also know people in my class and other schools students scores as well. Stop acting so knowledgeable. You’re insufferable. Also the original claim was that 240+ were few and far between. Stop changing the goal posts.

Reactions: 6 users
Bro I got these scores i.e 240s on step 1 and 260s on step 2. I know what it takes. I also know people in my class and other schools students scores as well. Stop acting so knowledgeable. You’re insufferable. Also the original claim was that 240+ were few and far between. Stop changing the goal posts.

People forget that for DO’s, the ones that take USMLE are a self-selecting sub-group. The proportion of good to great scores would logically be higher among a group who isn’t required to take the exam, and instead chooses to do so, often with confidence that they can score well. Lots of folks study for it, see the writing on the wall that their score isn’t going to be where they’d like it, and cancel their exam.

The flip-side to this (for the MD’s who may come in and bitch about the unfairness of this) is that DO students generally aren’t given weeks to months of dedicated study time like many MD’s I’ve encountered claim to have. I had 2 weeks of dedicated study time given to me, and I had to take both USMLE and COMLEX in that time frame. I got ~230.

You are wrong. I was specifically replying to a post regarding 250s and 260. Go read again. The math doesn't make sense for a DO school.

People inflate their scores to their peers all the time. 240, like I said, is vastly different than 250s. You seem to acknowledge that.

Idk what to tell you. These are the numbers. And btw this is only at my campus (220 students), not including the other campus.

Like one guy mentioned, only the very prepared ones take the test. For that reason, the number of those who scored above average outweighs that of those below average.

Idk what to tell you. These are the numbers. And btw this is only at my campus (220 students), not including the other campus.

Like one guy mentioned, only the very prepared ones take the test. For that reason, the number of those who scored above average outweighs that of those below average.

Seems reasonable. 250-255 is 90th percentile. Lets say 2/3 of your class of 220 took step 1 = 146. 10% of 146 should have reached 250-255 which is like 14-15 people.

That's assuming your class average is = national average.

Seems reasonable. 250-255 is 90th percentile. Lets say 2/3 of your class of 220 took step 1 = 146. 10% of 146 should have reached 250-255 which is like 14-15 people.

That's assuming your class average is = national average.

Excactly, we have to assume that the class average is at the national average. It's very difficult to make that assumption since we don't have an objective set of numbers to base that off of.

That's why it doesn't make sense to me, especially considering KCUMB doesn't seem to have these kinds of "a bunch of 250+"numbers, from what several upperclassmen have said (and I like to think we have some pretty strong students overall). A bunch of 240ish - yeah, that's completely statistically valid assuming that we are slightly below or at the average, and I have seen people give this range at KCUMB. But I think that making the assumption everyone is going to be honest is a really tough sell, and I think it's a tough assumption to make that the DO schools are going to be at or above the national average for Step 1. Just skeptical, that's all.

You are wrong. I was specifically replying to a post regarding 250s and 260. Go read again. The math doesn't make sense for a DO school.

People inflate their scores to their peers all the time. 240, like I said, is vastly different than 250s. You seem to acknowledge that.
Sorry. You “liked” a post that claimed maybe 1 240+ per class. I was referring to that.

And I literally just took 20 seconds and can think of 7 people in my class above 250.

That's why it doesn't make sense to me, especially considering KCUMB doesn't seem to have these kinds of "a bunch of 250+"numbers

I know you go there but you probably need to talk to more people. I have been told by very reliable sources that KCU has multiple 250+ every year.

I know you go there but you probably need to talk to more people. I have been told by very reliable sources that KCU has multiple 250+ every year.

I have very reliable sources at my school that I have asked, man. Yeah I agree that there are a few 250+. But these are largely the exception and not a hard and fast rule that every year there's going to be a 255 or 260, with a bunch of 250s+. Don't you agree that people may have the tendency to inflate their scores? I think there is a very strong tendency for people to do that.