What are things to look out for as an IMG interviewing at a primarily DO IM residency program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baby-daddy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a IMG applying for IM in the US. I have been invited to an interview at a primarily DO program. What are things to look out for? Should I ask about opportunities to learn OMM or should I avoid this subject completely? We don't have osteopathic doctors in my home country in Europe, so this is new for me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I am a IMG applying for IM in the US. I have been invited to an interview at a primarily DO program. What are things to look out for? Should I ask about opportunities to learn OMM or should I avoid this subject completely? We don't have osteopathic doctors in my home country in Europe, so this is new for me.

Thanks!
I would ask what the requirements are for you to train there. At my home institution, MD applicants would have to go through a lot of OMM training to be a resident. So my institution doesn’t get MD applicants and they don’t prioritize them because it’s unlikely to be a good fit.

If you’re getting an invite that’s a good sign, but I would be sure to know what sort of extra training you need before you start.

Hi guys,

Thanks!
Is this is a former aoa prorgam or one that is a former aoa program with osteopathic recognition, if it is the former then it is no different than any other acgme program since they are all acgme now, but if it has specifically osteopathic recognition then there will be some omm training and course you will have to take to match there, it will be prorgam specific, those programs are also unlikely to interview/rank an MD though..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this is a former aoa prorgam or one that is a former aoa program with osteopathic recognition, if it is the former then it is no different than any other acgme program since they are all acgme now, but if it has specifically osteopathic recognition then there will be some omm training and course you will have to take to match there, it will be prorgam specific, those programs are also unlikely to interview/rank an MD though..
I interviewed at quite a few programs with osteopathic recognition and the MDs did not have to participate in anything OMM. For example: Reading Family Medicine. Plenty of MDs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Unless they actually OFFER an OMM training track (usually by way of the osteopathic recognition) then you will train exactly as you would any community ACGME program that was primarily MD.