What are we REALLY giving up in our 20's and 30's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PennDippody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just bringing up a point that keeps popping up on an unrelated thread. It seems we are all so quick to point out the fact that are/will-be giving up some sort of otherwise fantastic lifestyle that our earlier years would provide by going into medicine. It doesn't seem to me that my early years will be that much different than that of anyone else. We made college hard on ourselves by choice but I thought it was a blast overall - definitely my best years to date. It seems most people argue that med school can be enjoyable as well. As for residency, I guess that's up for debate. But eventually you're out.

I suppose the 2 things for me are (1) delay in starting a family and (2) lost wadges from alternative careers that could be started sooner.

Maybe I have relatively underachieving friends and peers, but it really doesn't seem like they are getting the jump on me as much as some might fear.

Members don't see this ad.

Late nights of debauchery and possible STDs.. Though I hear med school is a lot like high school so maybe not.

Reactions: 1 user
Time to travel. Time with family during residency. I think it's ridiculous to ignore the significance of those two things. All things considered, taking this route is well worth it for me. I'm as sure about medicine as I could be about anything at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
My college years were the best of my life. The years after have been amazing as well but not as great because of more responsibilities. Older = more responsiblities = less fun. Also all your friends that can hang out now will be deeply involved in work/family/etc. by the time you are done so the old times will be gone. You miss a lot considering you only have those years ONCE in your life.

Probably a lot more than any of us can fully comprehend at this point in time.

Not spending 60-80 hours a week in a hospital for 3-10 years?

Don't underestimate how nice it is to go home from work and have few responsibilities. Or how relaxing it is to have a whole weekend off with work waiting until Monday.

Don't underestimate how nice it is to go home from work and have few responsibilities. Or how relaxing it is to have a whole weekend off with work waiting until Monday.

I think this is actually easily overlooked as well. Even comparing my little gap-year job to college has shown me this in full.

I'm in my late 20s, and all my friends that have already graduated, have definite career trajectories, have long term relationships, and are looking to take the next big step (house, kids, whatever). Also, they go on group vacations, try good food, etc etc.

I'll be committed to school for 4 years, then 80 hour residencies for 5-8 years after. I have little say in where I'll need to go to school (since it all depends on where I get in), and afterwards, I'll have little say in where i do residency.

Can I expect my SO to stick with me through all these uncertainties? Can I expect to join my friends as they travel and go on regular outings? Can I expect to have hobbies outside of work? Can I expect to raise kids or even a damn pet?
-----------

What do we really give up? Certainty. Comfort. Stability.

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel like I would be obliged to stay current on literature, particularly in certain specialties. I could see that being pretty time consuming too.

Just bringing up a point that keeps popping up on an unrelated thread. It seems we are all so quick to point out the fact that are/will-be giving up some sort of otherwise fantastic lifestyle that our earlier years would provide by going into medicine. It doesn't seem to me that my early years will be that much different than that of anyone else. We made college hard on ourselves by choice but I thought it was a blast overall - definitely my best years to date. It seems most people argue that med school can be enjoyable as well. As for residency, I guess that's up for debate. But eventually you're out.

I suppose the 2 things for me are (1) delay in starting a family and (2) lost wadges from alternative careers that could be started sooner.

Maybe I have relatively underachieving friends and peers, but it really doesn't seem like they are getting the jump on me as much as some might fear.

Just wait. Almost all of my high school and college friends have married (I'm in my upper 20's) and 3 good friends have purchased houses this past year. It feels like I am stuck in perpetual delayed adulthood with no clear end in sight. Many of those lifetime achievements like getting married, owning a home, and starting a family may be delayed or become more difficult as a medical student, resident, and attending. I'm not complaining. I chose this path and I'm satisfied with it so far. But the sacrifices are real.

Between this thread and the other thread... I'm really starting to think that my friends (especially the core group) are all cut from a different thread then a lot of you posting here.

Feel like I'll get to miss out on the random travel and trips, day & night parties, and all the other random stuff I do now.

Ooo, might my post have sparked this new thread? :cool:

Unemployment, unpaid internships, waiting tables...or I don't know, maybe you would have been a whizkid finance magnate poppin bands. The statistics are on the side of the former. Nothing is certain out there. The economy sucks. You'll have your 20s and 30s in or out of medical school/residency, and you can get married/have kids/get a dog/wevs, or not, either way. I'm thirtysome with all of the above. :shrug:

I'm in my late 20s, and all my friends that have already graduated, have definite career trajectories, have long term relationships, and are looking to take the next big step (house, kids, whatever). Also, they go on group vacations, try good food, etc etc.

I'll be committed to school for 4 years, then 80 hour residencies for 5-8 years after. I have little say in where I'll need to go to school (since it all depends on where I get in), and afterwards, I'll have little say in where i do residency.

Can I expect my SO to stick with me through all these uncertainties? Can I expect to join my friends as they travel and go on regular outings? Can I expect to have hobbies outside of work? Can I expect to raise kids or even a damn pet?
-----------

What do we really give up? Certainty. Comfort. Stability.

I am definitely worried about that. "Hey, come date me and follow me around as I make little money and pay little attention to you. I promise, it's worth it!" is a tough sell.

As an example, a friend of mine is moving to Spain to do a masters because she has the flexibility in her life to do so. As a nontrad, I am on such a strict schedule to finish things that I can't take a few years out of my life to do things like that. Maybe after becoming a doctor I can find opportunities to practice in another country, but until then I am stuck in a fairly nonspontaneous life and that bums me out.

There are certainly things that we won't necessarily have.....weekends off, "normal" career trajectory, etc. But I think we romanticize our nonmedical peers to some extent. For example, how many normal twenty-somethings have the money to just go travel around? Getting started any rewarding career will require some sacrifice along the way...it's not as thugh our peers are just living the good life and making good money right off the bat. The grass is always greener....

Personally, I'm married, accepted to medical school, have a definitive plan for the next eight or so years (at least with regards to what I'll be doing, if not necessarily where... but hey, everyone wants to travel, right? :naughty:). We'll probably start having kids in the next few years. I'll be completely done with all if it by the time I'm in my late twenties, at which point I'll have a good job (a doctor!) with relatively great income and security. Yes, there will be loans, etc, but again, there are positives and negatives to both sides. You just have to figure out what your priorities are, and go from there. Personally, I'm right where I want to be. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Its not like its all rainbows and sunshine outside of the med student/residency world. I have friends that are very successful but hate their jobs and just work for the paycheck, friends that love their jobs but get paid very little, and friends that just plain have no jobs because their fields aren't hiring. They all have more free time then I will as a med student or resident, but I think everyone has something to complain about.

I personally work full-time at a 9-5 desk job, make good money, and could easily work up the chain and make a career out of it, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest compared to medicine. I'm making the most of my free time now, and counting down the days until I can leave my dull job and med school starts, because it will be the start of a career that genuinely interests me. Sure this path will sacrifice a lot of time for family and friends because of commitment to study and work, but a lot of other careers out there are pretty similar in that aspect and I definitely think its worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Its not like its all rainbows and sunshine outside of the med student/residency world. I have friends that are very successful but hate their jobs and just work for the paycheck, friends that love their jobs but get paid very little, and friends that just plain have no jobs because their fields aren't hiring. They all have more free time then I will as a med student or resident, but I think everyone has something to complain about.

I personally work full-time at a 9-5 desk job, make good money, and could easily work up the chain make a career out of it, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest compared to medicine. I'm making the most of my free time now, and counting down the days until I can leave my dull job and med school starts, because it will be the start of a career that genuinely interests me. Sure this path will sacrifice a lot of time for family and friends because of commitment to study and work, but a lot of other careers out there are pretty similar in that aspect and I definitely think its worth it.

:thumbup:

Between this thread and the other thread... I'm really starting to think that my friends (especially the core group) are all cut from a different thread then a lot of you posting here.

Feel like I'll get to miss out on the random travel and trips, day & night parties, and all the other random stuff I do now.

Are all of your friends college grads? Maybe that's why there's a bit of a difference?

I personally work full-time at a 9-5 desk job, make good money, and could easily work up the chain make a career out of it, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest compared to medicine. I'm making the most of my free time now, and counting down the days until I can leave my dull job and med school starts, because it will be the start of a career that genuinely interests me. Sure this path will sacrifice a lot of time for family and friends because of commitment to study and work, but a lot of other careers out there are pretty similar in that aspect and I definitely think its worth it.

This is pretty much my experience....the grass is always greener....

I will say this, I find med school is infinitely more fun than my prior career. Might be just me though.

I personally work full-time at a 9-5 desk job, make good money, and could easily work up the chain and make a career out of it, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest compared to medicine. I'm making the most of my free time now, and counting down the days until I can leave my dull job and med school starts, because it will be the start of a career that genuinely interests me. Sure this path will sacrifice a lot of time for family and friends because of commitment to study and work, but a lot of other careers out there are pretty similar in that aspect and I definitely think its worth it.

Totally Agree. I have college-grad friends that hate their jobs despite having great potential. I also have non-college-grad friends that are pretty much plateaued at this point and, while they have all the time in the world to party and such, they will eventually have to either move-on or endure it for life. I would also add that its rare to find a well-paying 40hr week job in any field. Most of the people I know in that category regularly push 50-60+, especially at the entry levels.

In a way, it comes down to who you are. I'm the happiest when I'm being challenged, either mentally, physically, or both, so bring it on. I'm just gonna go with it and not look back at what my life "could have been like."

In a way, it comes down to who you are. I'm the happiest when I'm being challenged, either mentally, physically, or both, so bring it on. I'm just gonna go with it and not look back at what my life "could have been like."

Did you go to SLU for undergrad?

No, a private liberal arts college. Not that it's important.

SLU is a private liberal arts college.

Your posts (3 tries at MCAT), timeline of acceptance, and location ("on the doorstep of UAMS") make me wonder if you're someone that I know.

How was that NY Strip? 12oz is a little weak.

SLU is a private liberal arts college.

Your posts (3 tries at MCAT), timeline of acceptance, and location ("on the doorstep of UAMS") make me wonder if you're someone that I know.

How was that NY Strip? 12oz is a little weak.

I'm a ribeye man myself. I actually had someone else PM me who thought I was someone they knew. I guess I'm similar to a lot of people :shrug:

I'm a ribeye man myself. I actually had someone else PM me who thought I was someone they knew. I guess I'm similar to a lot of people :shrug:

:( I thought I had finally found someone I knew IRL on SDN. Sad day.

:( I thought I had finally found someone I knew IRL on SDN. Sad day.

Well, I know 2 people off the top of my head that are going to matriculate with me who live by UAMS and took the MCAT 3 times. For realz.

No one gives up their 20s and 30s. We are choosing to spend them in a different way. There's no coercion involved.

We are investing 7-10 years to become physicians. We aren't giving up anything.

Most of the people I know in their 20s seem to work 40-50 hours max(or less!), go on multiple vacations a year, and seem to not have anything to worry about for the most part.

I still enjoy my 20s...honestly there's not much more I would do if I was working a regular job. Sure I would work less hours and go on month-long vacations more often, but I would still enjoy the same hobbies and have time to do fun stuff with friends. It also helps that I genuinely enjoy medicine, it makes the longer hours worth it compared to slaving away in something I feel doesn't mean anything to me.

No one gives up their 20s and 30s. We are choosing to spend them in a different way. There's no coercion involved.

:thumbup:

Most of the people I know in their 20s seem to work 40-50 hours max(or less!), go on multiple vacations a year, and seem to not have anything to worry about for the most part.

I still enjoy my 20s...honestly there's not much more I would do if I was working a regular job. Sure I would work less hours and go on month-long vacations more often, but I would still enjoy the same hobbies and have time to do fun stuff with friends. It also helps that I genuinely enjoy medicine, it makes the longer hours worth it compared to slaving away in something I feel doesn't mean anything to me.

:thumbup: Couldn't agree more with both posts.

I am making sacrifices but if I become a doctor it is all worth it. A profession that I love and with strong job security.

There are certainly things that we won't necessarily have.....weekends off, "normal" career trajectory, etc. But I think we romanticize our nonmedical peers to some extent. For example, how many normal twenty-somethings have the money to just go travel around? Getting started any rewarding career will require some sacrifice along the way...it's not as thugh our peers are just living the good life and making good money right off the bat. The grass is always greener....

Personally, I'm married, accepted to medical school, have a definitive plan for the next eight or so years (at least with regards to what I'll be doing, if not necessarily where... but hey, everyone wants to travel, right? :naughty:). We'll probably start having kids in the next few years. I'll be completely done with all if it by the time I'm in my late twenties, at which point I'll have a good job (a doctor!) with relatively great income and security. Yes, there will be loans, etc, but again, there are positives and negatives to both sides. You just have to figure out what your priorities are, and go from there. Personally, I'm right where I want to be. :thumbup:

I have to agree with this. People often seem to want some kind of pat on the back for "sacrificing" a ton of their youth for medicine. While I understand that most of us can think of better ways to spend our early years, we all pushed and shoved to get our way through that admissions door. I'll add that we all did it because we know what awaits on the other side once our training is done.

Also, it's not like most of us could do some business or consulting career if we weren't doing medicine. Realistically we'd be doing graduate school and facing these realities. Or maybe we'd be in industry slogging away for some company that wants us to find their next big product. A few of us could get lucky and go into biotech, but not before getting the proper qualifications (which likely involves more than an undergraduate degree). There's not really a "green pastures" job available in the sciences that offers short training, high autonomy, and stable employment. In fact, most others, including those that go into industry, will face comparatively long training and harsh employment markets that can see entire departments laid off at any moment when the investors want a change.

We all have to pay our dues, especially in the sciences. There are of course some exceptions (petroleum engineering out of undergrad, anyone?), but for the most part most of us aren't qualified for many other careers that wouldn't require a large sacrifice during the early years.

This.

I like to think of it in terms of what I'm gaining rather than what I'm sacrificing or missing out on. I try not to forget that being a physician is a privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.