What are you doing for health insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are currently on your parents' insurance plan, but are moving to a different state, are you able to keep their coverage if the company is a national one (ex. Anthem BCBS)?
Yes, but it depends on the individual plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious- for those of you moving to a different state for school, are you buying coverage through the exchanges? Are you opting for the plan that the school offers?

If you are currently on your parents' insurance plan, but are moving to a different state, are you able to keep their coverage if the company is a national one (ex. Anthem BCBS)?

You are generally able to stay on your current insurance, but in most instances you have to make sure that insurance meets the minimum standards set by the school. Contact your school's health office/clinic/whatever and ask them if your plan qualifies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Praying that I don't die or have to see the doctor-like any sensible adult would x.x

I'll purchase health insurance on the market under special enrollment. I turn 26 two days after school starts, so I'm off my parents plan.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses!

Now quick question- I'm assuming that, like most dental students, you don't have an income while in school. So if you go to the exchange website and put $0 for your income, would that automatically direct you towards medicaid? Or would you qualify for a fully subsidized silver plan?
I didn't qualify for Medicaid when I had to use the market place once for insurance because I was a full time student despite having no income other than loans. That's why I had to go get my school's insurance.

I didn't qualify for Medicaid when I had to use the market place once for insurance because I was a full time student despite having no income other than loans. That's why I had to go get my school's insurance.
Must vary state by state, I qualified in the same situation, as did a handful of older classmates.

Not health insurance, but in a similar vein, has anyone looked into getting food stamps? Would save a ton of money.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing your thoughts on Medicaid vs. a school's insurance plan for students? Which is better in your opinion?
Medicaid is great, haven't had any trouble finding medical providers who accept it. Free or very cheap prescriptions. I'm pretty healthy and frankly don't use it much, but the services I have used have been very easy, comprehensive, and affordable or free. Some might have a personal objection to utilizing a tax funded program like that, I could go into that more but I'm typing from my phone and don't want to type hah.

Last edited:
I'll purchase health insurance on the market under special enrollment. I turn 26 two days after school starts, so I'm off my parents plan.
It'll be cheaper than schools buoy think

Medicaid is great, haven't had any trouble finding medical providers who accept it. Free or very cheap prescriptions. I'm pretty healthy and frankly don't use it much, but the services I have used have been very easy, comprehensive, and affordable or free. Some might have a personal objection to utilizing a tax funded program like that, I could go into that more but I'm typing from my phone and don't want to type hah.
Can you get Medicaid while In school? I'm on it now but moving to a different state for school?

Can you get Medicaid while In school? I'm on it now but moving to a different state for school?
Yep. You'll have to check to see if you qualify in the state you'll be moving to. I'm not sure how that'll work with your residency, either, being that in many states it takes a year or more to establish permanent residency.