What are you doing for summer jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purduephigam

SuPurdueper Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you going to d-school, what are your plans for the summer?

I'm trying to figure out something to do that's somewhat fun and pays decent. Hard to find that median, I know. Just thought I'd ask your suggestions and maybe see what everyone else is doing out there.

Members don't see this ad.

I have always wanted to work at a pet store, so probably that.

I currently work in a research lab in the midwest, but unfortunately it is moving down to Louisiana in about a month. This would leave obviously leave me unemployed and the thought of looking for a job for only four months didn't really intrigue me, so I decided to move to Baton Rouge to help set up the lab and train newbies:D I have never been to Louisiana before and will know nobody outside me bosses, but it sounded like an experience that I wouldn't have an opportunity to take at any other point in my life. I will be melting in the humidity in June, and then packing up my stuff to back in the AZ summers:cool: .... it sure gives me a different outlook on the eight inches of snow outside my door right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work in a research lab in the midwest, but unfortunately it is moving down to Louisiana in about a month. This would leave obviously leave me unemployed and the thought of looking for a job for only four months didn't really intrigue me, so I decided to move to Baton Rouge to help set up the lab and train newbies:D I have never been to Louisiana before and will know nobody outside me bosses, but it sounded like an experience that I wouldn't have an opportunity to take at any other point in my life. I will be melting in the humidity in June, and then packing up my stuff to back in the AZ summers:cool: .... it sure gives me a different outlook on the eight inches of snow outside my door right now...

Beware of the frankie back.:laugh:

frankie back?

Bartending is pretty sweet. I made more money bartending 30hrs a week than I would at any job I could've found working 40hrs a week. It's definately fun too.

Bartending is pretty sweet. I made more money bartending 30hrs a week than I would at any job I could've found working 40hrs a week. It's definately fun too.

I wanted to enroll in a class so I could actually get trained and be placed somewhere in the city. I suppose there's always the beginning of summer for that. Were you trained or did you learn on the fly? As far as jobs in the city (Chicago) are concerned would I need serious networking skills or just get lucky?

Nice! Plus chicks dig bartenders. Don't tell my girlfriend I said that...I was never here.

frankie back?

Its when you have the AC on full, drive for like 5 minutes and get out and you back is soaked with sweat. It is as though you are so fat you cant stop sweating. Frankie Back

Frankie back huh? lol. I've heard of something similar, but we always called it swamp ass. Same experience, different region

I'm not going to dental school next year...but a really fun summer job is lifeguarding. I did it two summers ago and it was by far the best summer I've ever had! Where else do you get paid to sit and tan?:D

I'm not going to dental school next year...but a really fun summer job is lifeguarding. I did it two summers ago and it was by far the best summer I've ever had! Where else do you get paid to sit and tan?:D

I thought about this too, as well as possibly teaching swim lessons as I was a swimmer in high school. Isn't the pay pretty crappy though? I could probably tolerate the high school gossip for a few months, but even then that's pushing it.

Temp around as a hygienist a few days a week and spend the rest of the time on the lake wakeboarding and skiing!!!!!!!!

Purdue - I'm selling alarm systems. Kind of hard work, but pays amazing (ave. $45/hr.) Only work 6 hrs. per day, and play the rest of the day. Where are you going to school? When does it start?

I thought about this too, as well as possibly teaching swim lessons as I was a swimmer in high school. Isn't the pay pretty crappy though? I could probably tolerate the high school gossip for a few months, but even then that's pushing it.

The pay was pretty crappy, but then again I didn't have to do much and I had a lot of fun. I had a couple friends who taught swim lessons along with lifeguarding and they made more money, but I'm not sure of the exact number. I still thought lifeguarding was fun and worth my time despite the not so good pay....I would do it again this summer if it wasn't for classes!