What are you doing to help our profession!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkusp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an early-career psychologist and began posting on these boards a few months ago. Due to the obsession over PsyD v. PhD and arguing back and forth about a multitude of things, I have grown sick of the board. So, instead of retreating, I propose a change in tone.

We all know that psychology as a field is continuing the fight to define our practice, our value, and our very existence. Many people value our services once they encounter us, however, our marketing skills and our advocacy skills are weak. Here is what I am doing (and will edit as more activities are started)

1. I go out of my way to talk with many many medical folks about how we can help them, and more importantly, I show them.
2. I seek out mentors in psychology and in medicine.
3. I joined my state professional organization and will be working with the section for early career psychologists.
4. I have sent letters to my representatives regarding prescription rights.
5. I read a lot about medical procedures, neurological terms, and psychiatric literature. The more I can "speak the language" of medicine the more respect the field gains and the better everyone's work.
6. I teach undergraduate and Master's psychology classes and talk with my students about the need for knowledge about science and medicine while learning psychology. I also mentor them.
7. I have a website that talks with people about mental illness and I normalizes counseling and seeking help (i.e., getting help doesn't mean you are crazy).

I am working on many more.

What are you doing for our profession? How much will it take to turn around the tone of this board so that we work together to advance ourselves, one another, and the profession?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Due to the obsession over PsyD v. PhD and arguing back and forth about a multitude of things, I have grown sick of the board.

I'd like to remind you that you were the one who wanted to qualify and explain the "multitude" of differences between the Psy.D. and the Ph.D.

My position was to say that there was very little difference in clinical employment. My statements, if you read them, are actually in support of your vision for this board's potential to be less critical of differences in "options" and "qualifications." As practitioners of psychology, we all know that the lines of demarcation in our profession are hazy, and that those who have either the PsyD or Phd both tend to cross the research/clinician boundaries.

I appreciate all that you are doing for the field, however, it may be useful for you to appreciate how your own posts and opinions are part of the problem that you charge this forum of having.

I applaud your effort to advance the profession as there are many misconceptions out there about psychology and what it can bring to society. Not to go too much off topic, I want to address why psychology might be not as valued as it should be. Of course, like you stated, marketing and advocacy is weak, but I see it in more broader terms. Our culture is inundated with the notion that self-centered individualism is the ideal and anything that is suppose to help the individual has the overriding purpose of manifesting that ideal. People use psychology as a quick fix to solving their "problems" but don't see it as something that has intrinsic worth and value. A plethora of self-help books reinforce psychology's role in American culture and it basically cheapens the field. People seem to use psychological knowledge when it is convenient for them and ignore it when they perceive it as a deterrent. The services are mostly used when the symptoms of psychological deficiencies surface, but when they feel "normal", psychological services are seen as pointless because the symptoms are not present.

The key into making psychology a noble and well-respected profession is to change the definition of psychology from one that is like a "band-aid" on a mental wound towards an educational necessity that produces competent individuals that are able to handle the physical and mental rigors of life.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 - Joined my state psychological association and the APA.
2 - Given money to the APA Practice Organization
3 - Sent letters to my representatives regarding issues on APA Capwiz

I'd like to remind you that you were the one who wanted to qualify and explain the "multitude" of differences between the Psy.D. and the Ph.D.

My position was to say that there was very little difference in clinical employment. My statements, if you read them, are actually in support of your vision for this board's potential to be less critical of differences in "options" and "qualifications." As practitioners of psychology, we all know that the lines of demarcation in our profession are hazy, and that those who have either the PsyD or Phd both tend to cross the research/clinician boundaries.

I appreciate all that you are doing for the field, however, it may be useful for you to appreciate how your own posts and opinions are part of the problem that you charge this forum of having.

Please don't hijack this thread

You may want to recall my initial statement that different does not equal better or less than. You may also want to recall my caveat that my sample was NOT a population. I never mentioned anything about "qualifications" as I was speaking directly to training models. Of course PsyDs can do those things if they are trained to do them.

Of course there are differences in the PsyD and the PhD. Search my posts and you will see that I have stated that in my experience there is no difference in the "prestige" or "competency" in the PsyD v PhD. However, there ARE differences in flexibility and in the cost of the degree and I will stand by that statement.

Let's not start this thread off with the status quo. Please feel free to IM me.

Let's not start this thread off with the status quo. Please feel free to IM me.

You original post in the other thread was to defend the idea that PhDs have more options in employment upon completing their degree than PsyDs. Of course you never said that PhDs were more valuable or prestigious, that wouldn't be received well by most people on this forum. However, your statements imply a difference in value and therefore generate further momentum in a common, uneducated stereotype held by many people. These very statements that lead to furthering of misconceptions about the degrees generate the very problems that you say you are taking a stand against.

I find it interesting that you tell me not to start of with the statues quo, yet you open this thread with a negative tone. I am not interested in making this a private conversation, as I think the open forum is appropriate for disagreements between those dedicated to a similar cause.

You original post in the other thread was to defend the idea that PhDs have more options in employment upon completing their degree than PsyDs. Of course you never said that PhDs were more valuable or prestigious, that wouldn't be received well by most people on this forum. However, your statements imply a difference in value and therefore generate further momentum in a common, uneducated stereotype held by many people. These very statements that lead to furthering of misconceptions about the degrees generate the very problems that you say you are taking a stand against.

I find it interesting that you tell me not to start of with the statues quo, yet you open this thread with a negative tone. I am not interested in making this a private conversation, as I think the open forum is appropriate for disagreements between those dedicated to a similar cause.

I am an early-career psychologist and began posting on these boards a few months ago. Due to the obsession over PsyD v. PhD and arguing back and forth about a multitude of things, I have grown sick of the board. So, instead of retreating, I propose a change in tone.

This was a great thread with so much promise. Can we not rehash what hkusp said on an entirely different thread? It has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The OP clearly had no malice in their original post, so who cares what was said on another thread.

While I can't say that I have a whole lot to add to this, considering I'm still an undergrad, I would love to hear what our more experienced members have to say about the subject. While I do think there are some debates worth having, in the end we all have similar goals. At the very least, all of us can work to:

- Remove the stigma around mental illness. People don't try to tough out diabetes on their own, so why shouldn't they seek help for depression or anxiety? This can be done whether you're the president of the APA or a community college graduate.
- Promote the usefulness of psychology and psychotherapy. Find treatments that work, and then tell people about them.
- Demystify what it is we actually do. Psychologists are not mind readers who can magically solve the world's problems. They can, however, alleviate the suffering of an oft-overlooked population.

General suggestions, I know. I would, however, be interested to see how these could be put into practice.

This was a great thread with so much promise. Can we not rehash what hkusp said on an entirely different thread? It has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The OP clearly had no malice in their original post, so who cares what was said on another thread.

While I can't say that I have a whole lot to add to this, considering I'm still an undergrad, I would love to hear what our more experienced members have to say about the subject. While I do think there are some debates worth having, in the end we all have similar goals. At the very least, all of us can work to:

- Remove the stigma around mental illness. People don't try to tough out diabetes on their own, so why shouldn't they seek help for depression or anxiety? This can be done whether you're the president of the APA or a community college graduate.
- Promote the usefulness of psychology and psychotherapy. Find treatments that work, and then tell people about them.
- Demystify what it is we actually do. Psychologists are not mind readers who can magically solve the world's problems. They can, however, alleviate the suffering of an oft-overlooked population.

General suggestions, I know. I would, however, be interested to see how these could be put into practice.
Great advice.

This was a great thread with so much promise. Can we not rehash what hkusp said on an entirely different thread? It has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Not a problem. I agree, and will leave the off-subject alone. I felt that I needed to address the OP because I found the opening remark self-righteous and unfair given their statements from the other thread. (S)he should have replied to me directly in that thread rather than opening another thread referencing their disagreement with me. This will be my last post to this thread that is off-topic. My apologies to the rest of you.

I co-authored an article a couple years ago on a related topic. Below are the recommendations we came up with about making a positive contribution in a medical setting:

1. Interact with medical providers as a colleague, and you will be treated as a colleague. Medical providers are not coming to you with questions so you can defer back to them, they want an answer, a solution, a diagnosis. Provide an answer, and then be flexible to update your diagnosis when more information becomes available.

Differentiate yourself from your "therapist" colleagues, and educate medical providers on your areas of expertise. Become a knowledge expert that is actively sought out by providing timely responses and proactive solutions. This can also provide a great opportunity to network, and build a referral network for your private practice.

2. Do not allow yourself to be referred to by your first name in professional communications with patients, other doctors, or other staff at your facility. You are the highest educated person in your field, and you have earned the right to be called doctor. Anything short of this is a disservice to your education and your clinical colleagues.

3. Seek out additional education and training in the medical aspects of the patients you work with. We believe all psychologists should have at least an RN level of edical/science education, but that currently is not a reality. We have seen psychologists with no symptoms of PhD Syndrome who have never taken medical coursework oficially, but have taken it upon themselves to be involved in the bio-aspects of treatment, and to learn the necessary medical aspects of their target population. There are a growing number of opportunities available for psychologists to improve their medical/science education. With the increase in available courses, it is easier today for psychologists to increase their knowledge base.

4. Express yourself briefly and succinctly. Medical providers are overworked, andhave very little time for lengthy explanations of the complex intrapsychic workings, transferences, and life histories. There is no one behavior that signals PhD Syndrome more than lengthy rambling. Brevity is not only recommended, it is often required.

5. Engage your medical provider colleagues. Seek them out to talk about a shared patient, have lunch with them, attend CME programs, give CME talks to them, and make a concerted effort to move the culture of your facility to an understanding that psychologists are highly educated, confident, and effective doctors.

I co-authored an article a couple years ago on a related topic. Below are the recommendations we came up with about making a positive contribution in a medical setting:

1. Interact with medical providers as a colleague, and you will be treated as a colleague. Medical providers are not coming to you with questions so you can defer back to them, they want an answer, a solution, a diagnosis. Provide an answer, and then be flexible to update your diagnosis when more information becomes available.

Differentiate yourself from your “therapist” colleagues, and educate medical providers on your areas of expertise. Become a knowledge expert that is actively sought out by providing timely responses and proactive solutions. This can also provide a great opportunity to network, and build a referral network for your private practice.

2. Do not allow yourself to be referred to by your first name in professional communications with patients, other doctors, or other staff at your facility. You are the highest educated person in your field, and you have earned the right to be called doctor. Anything short of this is a disservice to your education and your clinical colleagues.

3. Seek out additional education and training in the medical aspects of the patients you work with. We believe all psychologists should have at least an RN level of edical/science education, but that currently is not a reality. We have seen psychologists with no symptoms of PhD Syndrome who have never taken medical coursework oficially, but have taken it upon themselves to be involved in the bio-aspects of treatment, and to learn the necessary medical aspects of their target population. There are a growing number of opportunities available for psychologists to improve their medical/science education. With the increase in available courses, it is easier today for psychologists to increase their knowledge base.

4. Express yourself briefly and succinctly. Medical providers are overworked, andhave very little time for lengthy explanations of the complex intrapsychic workings, transferences, and life histories. There is no one behavior that signals PhD Syndrome more than lengthy rambling. Brevity is not only recommended, it is often required.

5. Engage your medical provider colleagues. Seek them out to talk about a shared patient, have lunch with them, attend CME programs, give CME talks to them, and make a concerted effort to move the culture of your facility to an understanding that psychologists are highly educated, confident, and effective doctors.

T4C, could you PM me a link to this article, please? I'd love to read it!

MOD NOTE: I think this can be a useful thread, so please keep it professional and on topic. -t4c

Not a problem. I agree, and will leave the off-subject alone.

This will be my last post to this thread that is off-topic. My apologies to the rest of you.

Point well taken.

My everyday efforts to help the appearance of the field include making myself as approachable as possible when it comes to answering questions about treatment, symptoms, and ESPECIALLY ideal expectations in regard to goals of therapy. As someone else mentioned, it doesn't help that people often think of therapy as a cure-all or a band-aid. It also doesn't help that so many people feel that talk therapy is for "weak" people. Not that any therapist would agree with these notions, but these ideas need to be actively disowned by professionals in the field when they are mentioned, even if we don't feel like "getting into it."

I like this thread.

1. Wrote letters to my representative regarding the proposed health care bill.

2. Joined my state psych association as well as APS

3. sent letters to the APA about the match/internship debacle.

4. showed respect to everyone I worked with: doctors (MD, PhD, PsyD, DO, DPT, etc), nurses, other hospital staff, LCSWs, LMFTs, etc

5. Learn as much as I could from people (above) who have more knowledge and experience than myself.

Call for a complete reform of the APA's structure and function. The APA consistently fails to advance the profession of psychology, fails to advocate for the science and practice of psychology with any real degree of effectiveness. The governance and structure of APA must change radically. We have over 100,000 psychologists in the USA and less than 200 hold important position in the APA. They spend their time incestuously rotating through various committees and giving each other awards while doing relatively little for the profession. Increase the transparency of the APA. The president of the APA is the only member who is elected by membership at large and they only serve one year terms. Hence the president's of the APA achieve very little while the true power brokers within APA remain safely in the shadows. Open up more offices in the APA to direct election by the membership at large. Institute "term limits" for other administrative positions within the organization. Root out entrenched interests. Have APA apply its own ethical standards to itself by demanding the APA's public advocacy role extend only to those areas where there is research data to support APA's public position. As the premier association of psychologists, the APA should only speak out about matters of public interest where there is a compelling set of psychological science to support it. This is the same standard to which individual professional psychologists are held. APA spends far too much time chasing after the latest politically correct crusade. Yes care as much about ... say ... climate change as anybody but no I don't want a psychological association making policy statements about carbon emissions.

Last edited:
Yes, that is a problem. I think it is due to a lack of familiarity, in part, with the training of physicians combined with the old axiom about PhDs and learning you don't know anything. We tend to couch things in probabilities and are more reticent to make definitive statements. I've worked now for many years in medical departments, going on rounds, processing cases with physicians and I can see where the expertise levels match up and where they diverge. We, as psychologists, should be confident about our domain. But, when functioning in a medical environment, we must also learn more about what a physician does and the human body in general. This is the language that physician's speak and we need to be able to put our information in that context.

I think you're obviously correct, JS, but we run into a catch early on--confidence should be based on real expertise in content and process, and I'm unconvinced that many psychologists (I'm sure everyone know where I'm going with this so it's unnecessary to spell it out...) have such expertise.