Renaissance Man

Saving the World
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
East Coast
Status
Attending Physician
Just curious, what are you all buying your significant other for Christmas, or the holidays? I am getting her a day at the spa, and a book she has been wanting.

**On a side note ladies (or guys), I need a stocking stuffer and she likes the vampire thing so is there a better pick between the TV shows Vampire Diaries or True Blood?

Happy Holidays everyone!

transfec

Class of 2015
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Just curious, what are you all buying your significant other for Christmas, or the holidays? I am getting her a day at the spa, and a book she has been wanting.

**On a side note ladies (or guys), I need a stocking stuffer and she likes the vampire thing so is there a better pick between the TV shows Vampire Diaries or True Blood?

Happy Holidays everyone!
True Blood

As for my gifts, the most special one is something that (I hope) will remind her of our first date. I took her to a show, where she managed to pop the lid of her drink, spilling it all over herself. We missed the first half of the show, while we cleaned her up in the bathroom- laughing about the whole fiasco. So, I decided to get her a cup from the place we went. Inside is a pair of diamond ear rings. Knowing her, I'm sure it'll be a success.

wolverinepwns

Si vis pacem, para bellum
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2010
Asgard
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WHAT! the question you should be asking is "what is you S.O. doing for YOU?"

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I haven't seen the other show you mentioned but I'm sure it's something that's based around the current trendy, tennage girl, vampire storylines. Go with True Blood if you want something that isn't really following the current vampire trend. There's some elements of one of the vampires being a sissy, but it's very minor. I've been a follow of vampire themes in books and movies since I was a kid. I grew up on the more traditional stuff, not this new stuff that has been coming around in the past few years.

startswithb

Future Urologist
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nothing. Mr. Practical said he didn't want anything.

Ok, but I am going to write a check to show him that I've been saving for our impending beach vacation. :cool:

Sep 29, 2009
Cleveland
Status
Medical Student
True Blood

As for my gifts, the most special one is something that (I hope) will remind her of our first date. I took her to a show, where she managed to pop the lid of her drink, spilling it all over herself. We missed the first half of the show, while we cleaned her up in the bathroom- laughing about the whole fiasco. So, I decided to get her a cup from the place we went. Inside is a pair of diamond ear rings. Knowing her, I'm sure it'll be a success.
Awwww, that's adorable.

I got my boyfriend a kindle. Last year I got him a PS3, and there's really no following that up, but I'm doing my best. His birthday is on Christmas Eve, and our anniversary is shortly before that, so this is technically a birthday/anniversary/Christmas combined gift. Epic.

Jun 24, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Awwww, that's adorable.

I got my boyfriend a kindle. Last year I got him a PS3, and there's really no following that up, but I'm doing my best. His birthday is on Christmas Eve, and our anniversary is shortly before that, so this is technically a birthday/anniversary/Christmas combined gift. Epic.
Same, on black friday. Nearly froze to death standing outside the store at 4am, but it was worth it. :)

On a related note: http://www.thegirldoc.com/ For gift ideas like the Gray's Anatomy Purse...

TFS

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical

Happy Holidays everyone!

^
as far as first seasons go, i liked both. true blood has more gore and is a little edgier. can't go wrong with either. :D

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Happy Holidays everyone!
Between the two, I say True Blood.

I haven't seen the other show you mentioned but I'm sure it's something that's based around the current trendy, tennage girl, vampire storylines. Go with True Blood if you want something that isn't really following the current vampire trend. There's some elements of one of the vampires being a sissy, but it's very minor. I've been a follow of vampire themes in books and movies since I was a kid. I grew up on the more traditional stuff, not this new stuff that has been coming around in the past few years.
Vampire Diaries is geared more towards teens. True Blood is an MA rated show on HBO based on a series of adult supernatural romance/mystery books. I don't watch Vampire Diaries, though I've heard it's alright. True Blood's pretty good.

And I'm with you, I don't like a lot of the recent stuff that's come out. That said, did you girl ever see Moonlight, OP? It was a TV show from the 2007-2008 season. It was doing well then got cancelled... just a bit before its time given the Twilight frenzy ramping up to 11 once the movies started coming out in late 2008. She might like that DVD, too. *Sigh* It was a damn good show.

My husband is getting a Genius graphics tablet (the big gift), a new case for his Droid, a Dexter action figure for our "geek shelf" and something for the MMO we play. And then some stocking stuffers.

Jul 27, 2010
Status
I know nothing about the new vampire stuff, so I can't help you there OP. I just remember how hot I thought Brad Pitt was in Interview with a Vampire. I'll agree, though, that I wouldn't go with the trendy teen stuff and hit up the HBO naughtiness instead. At least that would be more entertaining for me personally - MA ratings, totally trump PG 13.

As for what I'm getting the SO, it'll be a subscription to SWAT magazine and the new Call of Duty. Have to be frugal this year.

I may add GeekChick's new Droid case idea to my list...which, btw, GC which one are you getting? The front case keeps breaking off of his and I have no idea which brand would hold up better to his abuse.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know nothing about the new vampire stuff, so I can't help you there OP. I just remember how hot I thought Brad Pitt was in Interview with a Vampire. I'll agree, though, that I wouldn't go with the trendy teen stuff and hit up the HBO naughtiness instead. At least that would be more entertaining for me personally - MA ratings, totally trump PG 13.

As for what I'm getting the SO, it'll be a subscription to SWAT magazine and the new Call of Duty. Have to be frugal this year.

I may add GeekChick's new Droid case idea to my list...which, btw, GC which one are you getting? The front case keeps breaking off of his and I have no idea which brand would hold up better to his abuse.
I heard the Inno-case is really good, so that's what I ordered off Amazon. It was like $18-$20.

Jul 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Tickets to see Neko Case as well as tickets to see Best Coast and Wavves. Taking her to a nice dinner before Neko Case, probably pounding cheap beers before the other show. Ahhhhh the joys of being engaged.

Jul 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Aziz Ansari tickets and a gift certificate to take a cooking workshop (of his choice) at the culinary school in town.

Kami, I got an ice-cream maker for my birthday and it's my favorite gift ever. (Well, of my adult life)

SimplyMars9

it all makes sense now
Aug 13, 2010
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Absolutely nothing. Maybe a nice card and some homemade cookies. This application cycle cleaned me out completely.

But...I got him a red iPod nano last year, and a laptop the year before that

pullupthepeople

5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
since we are both foodies, we usually take each other out to celebrate holidays/birthdays/no reason. if you know chicago, im taking him to schwa for his christmas present, and got him a bottle of some really great scotch for his birthday present (his b-day is a couple days after christmas). this year i asked him to get me a dehydrator and a new juicer instead of dinner, since we are moving to madison this summer for med school and im not sure if there is a raw restaurant there.

Ursa

woof
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Geez you people are rich by my standards. My SO and I are too poor this year to do anything except for have a nice quiet dinner and a movie, which we both will appreciate more than gifts of equal value!

Jul 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

Happy Holidays everyone!
Haha, my mom loves vampire diaries, but I prefer true blood!
This year, my SO is getting a self-help book! :D He can't decide if he want to go to med school to become a phyciatrist or grad school to do research in pharmacuticals.

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status

berriesandcream

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
As someone who is SO-less, this thread is depressing and cute all at the same time :)

c4e

7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haven't decided yet, actually. I have an idea in mind, but :scared:.
I'm pretty sure whatever you get will be treasured :)

As someone who is SO-less, this thread is depressing and cute all at the same time :)
Hang in there. There is someone out there for you.... Eventually. As long as you fall within that 2 standard deviations of normalcy

jadealer

7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2009
Status
Got him a digital camera, some clothes, a pair of shoes, and Call of Duty black Ops game with a handgun adapter for the Wii.

Its more of an anniversary/X-mas gift combo though since our anniversary is fairly close to x-mas. Lol, he wins out because my b-day is close after x-mas so he gets the supreme combo package.:laugh: