What are you going to do if you didn't get into Med School?

Farvah

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
Just curious. For those of you who applied adn didn't get in, do you stay another year at college, get like an EMT job or go thru a career change? :confused:

Not trying to point any fingers, but just want to know what other feasible options are. Thnx.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Farvah said:
Just curious. For those of you who applied adn didn't get in, do you stay another year at college, get like an EMT job or go thru a career change? :confused:

Not trying to point any fingers, but just want to know what other feasible options are. Thnx.
1. 1-Year Post. Bacc. or Medical School Bridge program
2. Master's Degree (reapply in the middle of or at the end of the program)
3. Continue at undergrad for a second major or to enhace GPA, without a degree plan (and/or retake some classes)
4. Work full time in a health care field, where you can interact with physicians (EMS, ER Tech, etc.)

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Taking extra classes, or doing a Master's or post-bacc program and then reapplying, are also options for those who didnt get in

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
Become a scout for the golden state warriors

hon abe lin

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
Status
I'm going down to the Carribean...

not for medical school but to work on a charter boat.

I've got some connections down in paradise that I just might use.

ComptonLBC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
research in a lab and publish, or ... go to 3rd world country and volunteer there in a clinical setting. If u run out of ideas... just join the crips in Compton.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i would have looked more seriously at dental school (ick!) or grad school (may not be so bad)....

Canez81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
miami, fl
Status
Medical Student
1. apply to DO schools
2. go to physician assitant school (in high demand here in south florida, starting pay $80, 000)
3. work using my major (forensic chem)
4. pharmacy school

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Ever see that movie "Redemption" with Jamie Foxx playing Tookie, the founder of the Crips gang? Crips are everywhere! Im sure there is a local faction in your neighborhood, no need to go to Compton...

Zeus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2003
New Orleans
Visit site
Status
I am strongly considering applying to Physical Therapy schools and maybe a few DO schools next time if I don't get into anywhere this time. I am a re-applicant so this just really sucks. But I really think I would enjoy PT because my main area of interest in medicine was orthopedic surgery/sports medicine so it is right there in the same sort of pathway. Who knows though....

Pediacare

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
Will be going to get an MPH degree and volunteer in a developing nation clinic setting, if the whole med school thign doesn't work out. But I pray like crazy that it does.

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
Status
Premedalltheway said:
jumping off a bridge and hope I'm not conscious when i wake up......
whoa there...

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
become active in Greenpeace