What are you going to do the summer before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just curious to know what you guys are planning on doing the summer before med school.

Members don't see this ad.

doing nothing. travel. reading. probably come in to work for clinics and surgery only.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in california but will be doing research in a pharmaceutical company during the summer. Should be fun touring the westcoast. I want to make sure i have some money in mypocket before med school

world cup in germany and probably skipping to prague for a few weeks.
-mota

Think I will probably continue working until about two weeks before school. Between now and school I plan to make at least two international trip, one of them being to my native coutry.

1) working my regular job until June. Matriculating in July.
2) Part-time Research
3) trips to Europe, Palm Springs, & Florida
4) Home rennovations/repair projects
5) partying with my friends
6) nervous/excited anticipation of starting classes! Woo!

DaMota said:
-mota
I would recommend avoiding the Kazahkastan (spelling) if I were you ;)

dang i wish i get to see the world cup in germany this summer... but I are planning one for south africa 2010 when I get my MD...!

MCYan said:
dang i wish i get to see the world cup in germany this summer... but I are planning one for south africa 2010 when I get my MD...!

don't worry. the chances of me actually getting tickets are slim considering they were raffled off months ago and scalping is not possible. but i think just being in Germany for it will be fun. and some of the tickets still haven't been sold off.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
Cozmosis said:
Like most people said, nothing. I also have all of the spring semester to do nothing as well.
aren't you taking any classes? well, i have nothing to do either.

anomic said:
Hey, I was just curious to know what you guys are planning on doing the summer before med school.

Your mom!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh :laugh:

I dunno. I'll probably end my job a few weeks before school starts so I can have some free time. You know, people to do, places to see.

MCYan said:
same here man....that is the plan....
btw Damota the fact that u are in germany during the worldcup is good enough...going to the bars and getting drunk with the deutshmen would be a great experience....
Who is ur favorite to take it...and pls dont say Brazil, lets make it a little more interesting....

IgweEmeka said:
btw Damota the fact that u are in germany during the worldcup is good enough...going to the bars and getting drunk with the deutshmen would be a great experience....
Who is ur favorite to take it...and pls dont say Brazil, lets make it a little more interesting....

i'll be looking at Argentina and Portugal. I also like England, that Rooney is one crazy f*cker. but the obvious winner is gonna be Iran. didn't lose any qualifying matches. holler.
-mota

IgweEmeka said:
I'm not damota (yet...) but I'll answer. Ecuador!! ok I wish. But I'll say Argentina. Their team is gonna be tough to beat next summer.

Edit: Maybe DaMota and I are one and the same after all...good call on Argentina.

I'm going to become the ultimate fighting heavyweight champion of the world. That, and eat a lot of Jack in the Box and drink Bud heavy.

Playing in Tuscany for the summer; one last hoorah w/ the college gals. Should be fun.

Party extremely hard. hmmm....yeah, that's it.

anomic said:

Sit at home worrying about getting into medical school of the waitlist.

Depends how many interviews I get. If a whole bunch, then I'm going to be working over the summer. If no more, then I'll be spending the few remaining dollars in my bank account to go abroad and work on my Arabic...

OH I thought you already got tickets for it. Yes I have been trying to get tickets as well, looks like they are at outrageous prices now.. we should have planned it earlier.. Good luck with finding tics!

P.S. Please let me know if you really can still get tics at reasonable price. If so, I am gonna plan a trip there as well..

DaMota said:
don't worry. the chances of me actually getting tickets are slim considering they were raffled off months ago and scalping is not possible. but i think just being in Germany for it will be fun. and some of the tickets still haven't been sold off.
-mota

Working, saving, finishing research, planning the move, etc.

To all of those doing fun and amazing things like going to Germany: you suck.

TheProwler said:
working, moving, and getting married.

not much. :p

I'm getting married too Prowler! :p

I think we're gonna go to Italy for our honeymoon. :love:

haha y'all are giving me ideas for my travel plans. i think i'm doing japan in the spring and vietnam/europe in the summer.

DaMota said:
-mota

Oh I envy you so much!!!!!!! I'm a HUGE soccer fan (had to be from Argentina :rolleyes: ) so I love watching the world cup :D

seilienne said:
Living in Montreal w/ my boy. :D Oh yeah, and moving.

Montreal, word up. Everyone should come to Montreal.

As for Germany, Argentina will choke as usual and Brazil will take it home, as usual.

As cliche as this sounds, I'd like to spend it backpacking through Europe. I've never been there :oops:

Gavanshir said:
As for Germany, Argentina will choke as usual and Brazil will take it home, as usual.

:mad: :barf:

Gavanshir said:
Hey, I dont like it either, but Brazilians got skills out the ass.

You mightbe right, but as an Argentinian I will have to be tortured before admitting something like that, lol. We are just too crazy when it comes to soccer. :D

My family is from Ecuador and the whole country is psyched when we just qualify. :) Maybe all that training at high-altitude will give them a leg up on the competition...

Tristy said:
You mightbe right, but as an Argentinian I will have to be tortured before admitting something like that, lol. We are just too crazy when it comes to soccer. :D

I'm far from Argentinian and I've been a fan of their national team since I was 3 years old!!! Diego Maradona is and has been my hero since that age too. :)

I have family in Latvia that I have never met face to face, so I will finally make a trip to see them!

anomic said:

Moving to whatever city/state the school is in.

BooMed said:
I'm getting married too Prowler! :p

I think we're gonna go to Italy for our honeymoon. :love:
Congrats Prowler and BooMed! I just got married this past August! It's tons of fun, make sure you spend plenty of time planning and enjoying the process, and don't get too stuck on the application sequence.

Italy would be great for a honeymoon (we went there for Study Abroad). If you do go, make sure you schedule plenty of time at the less-touristy places, they can be more romantic. Rome, Florence, and Venice are great to see as tourists, but smaller, out-of-the-way places are great too. I loved the Cinque Terre, in the northwestern region near France.

Headed to China for at least a couple weeks with the family, and I'm going to try and stretch it five more or so by teaching English there.

I've also heard a lot of amazing things about Cinque Terre...wish I could make my first trip to Europe this summer. Maybe down the line? When's our next big chance to go besides summer after MS1?

TimmyTheWonderD said:
I have family in Latvia that I have never met face to face, so I will finally make a trip to see them!

you should visit croatia's beaches while you're out there. i hear they are all the rave right now. so nice.
-mota

DaMota said:
you should visit croatia's beaches while you're out there. i hear they are all the rave right now. so nice.
-mota

yea, I know, not exactly a warm tropical vacation I am planning.

I will be planning my wedding that will happen summer 2007! Also I will be finishing up my masters practicum, and once that is done hopefully I can get time to relax before school starts. Probably do a little travelling too if we can afford it!

SanDiegoSOD said:
As cliche as this sounds, I'd like to spend it backpacking through Europe. I've never been there :oops:

I'm doing it! I'm thinking England, Paris, Amsterdam, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, and Israel.

I cant freakin wait! Then I come back and start the next chapter of my life :scared:

Pulling my hair out because I hate work.