What are you going to do with your Short white coat???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_strange2001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know what people are going to do with thier short white coat after graduation. I just ripped a pocket halfway off mine by accident..but I refuse to buy another one.

I think ill save mine to see how fat i am in 20 ys

Members don't see this ad.

I managed to squeeze 2 extra months out of it. The funny thing was that the contents of my pockets developed an inverse proportion to my days in medical school, as it got closer to the end, more and more empty the pockets got.

Since the last day it has been collecting grease and all other fluids in the trunk of my car!

Good to be free!

I have two, the one I got at the white coat ceremony, and a hand me down from a previous senior. I'm gonna keep the one I got at white coat for nostalgia's sake, and symbolically torch the second one. I hate those damned short white coats!

I know some of you will need it for certian surgery programs :laugh:

if your going to Duke...ya better hang on to it:smuggrin:

......mine....humm....my car does need a good wash......

hey, i have a question...at my school there is no difference in the length of white coats, so we all have the longer ones. but, i have a couple of rotations scheduled in the states, and i am wondering what the heck i should do. do i go buy a short coat? show up with what i have? any advice would be great......

My advice: get a short white coat. Its pretty standard in the US that most (i think there are few exceptions) students wear the short ones. And MD's wear the long ones. It would be verrry awkward for you if you show up as a student wearing a long white coat. At my institution you may even be hog tied and stoned :D
I kid I kid

the stoned part sounds ok, but unless you have some sexy nurse doing the hog tying, i will have to pass :laugh:

thanks for the info. note to self: buy nerdy, short white coat

You'll keep wearing it at Cornell also. When I was a med student there, the irony was that the phlebotomists, lab techs, and attendings wore long coats while all residents wore short coats. I think some of the venerable Boston programs have similar policies. Just another way of letting you know your place as housestaff.

R,
PMMD

Originally posted by doc_strange2001
Just curious to know what people are going to do with thier short white coat after graduation. I just ripped a pocket halfway off mine by accident..but I refuse to buy another one.

I think ill save mine to see how fat i am in 20 ys

I ripped both of my white coat pockets with all of the books and junk I have been keeping in it. I sewed it up and practiced my surgical knots with it. At first, I couldn't find any thread at first so I took some suturing thread from the OR stock room. That stuff is not very strong though, and it either dissolves in the washer or it breaks during the wash cycle. I ended up sewing my pockets with a really thick white thread (practically a thin white rope). I'm throwing my white coat away after I graduate. I've been bleeching it occasionally, but it's still seen way too many bodily fluids, blood, and urine for me to keep it as any sort of momento.

HAHAHA Kalel :) I had to do the same suturing work on my white coat too.

By the way, if the suture says "VICRYL," don't put it in the wash :)

Im going to give it to a homeless guy. Lots o' pockets for cigarette butts, whiskey flasks, shanks...you name it!

No amount of bleach will erase the ring around the collar though.

Nice post

That damn ring around the collar is worse than day old ketchup ona plate....freaking thermonuclear! I even tried a sample of that magic stuff on TV!

I say burn the damn thing!

Speaking of interns wearing short coats, have you all head of some surgery programs having unspoken rules about buttoning up your coat? FREAKS!

Graduating classes at my school have a traditional white-coat burning bonfire, usually during Senior Week. Last year it was a great party -- lots of EtOH and a huge, roaring fire. Now that I'm on the burn unit, I see the folly of our way. Yet I would do it again . . .

Originally posted by Kalel
I ripped both of my white coat pockets with all of the books and junk I have been keeping in it. I sewed it up and practiced my surgical knots with it. At first, I couldn't find any thread at first so I took some suturing thread from the OR stock room. That stuff is not very strong though, and it either dissolves in the washer or it breaks during the wash cycle. I ended up sewing my pockets with a really thick white thread (practically a thin white rope). I'm throwing my white coat away after I graduate. I've been bleeching it occasionally, but it's still seen way too many bodily fluids, blood, and urine for me to keep it as any sort of momento.

Funny, that was my first thought too. I tried suturing it up but the damn thread kept poping. Right now its discretly stapled togeather.

I wouldnt have to heart to burn mine. Too many memories, every stain has a story. Ill hold on to it, staples and all.

I was going to try to sell it to an incoming MS-I :smuggrin:

-Todd MS-IV USC

Me and my boys are going to have a short coat burning ceremony

Originally posted by Leforte
What do you think I should ask as the reserve price on eBay for mine?

I wonder if the blood/puke/urine stained one will fetch more - surely someone with whatever fetish will be interested!

Rookie! I've got your stains (fluids) beat by three: saliva, soda, and CSF...

Is it even legal to burn our coats? Aren't you violating some hazmat law :D ?

Our school has a "white coat burning ceremony" too, at one of the attending's houses. He has a huge backyard where there is a bonfire, and rumor has it there is an excessive amount of booze present as well. I can't wait! Just two more months!

The University of Utah and the University of Arizona both have white coat ceremonies during their first year where they hand out nice, long, white coats. I'll bet there's a lot more places out there that have realized that short coats suck.

Originally posted by Desperado
The University of Utah and the University of Arizona both have white coat ceremonies during their first year where they hand out nice, long, white coats. I'll bet there's a lot more places out there that have realized that short coats suck.

Stanford also gives their students long coats.

Even though I went to one of the "long-coat" schools, my coats were so nasty by the end of med school, with 3-0 nylon--NOT silk folks!--holding the pockets together, they still got trashed. Plus most residency programs give you ones w/Your Name, M.D. embroidered on them.

Jeeesus! Don't you guys get fresh white coats every day? They way you talk it sounds like you've been wearing the same piece of clothing for 4 friggin' years.

Man, I chuck that thing at the end of the day (okay maybe 2 days) and pick up a new one in the morning.

My first time in a US hospital was a bit of a shocker ("why are all these waiters wearing stethoscopes?!?"). Like Neilc says above, we wear them long in Europe. So picture me:

Arnold Schwarzenegger accent.
Longest coat money could buy.
Name tag saying "Stud. Med."

Yes, there were jokes and weird looks.

Originally posted by BellKicker
Jeeesus! Don't you guys get fresh white coats every day? They way you talk it sounds like you've been wearing the same piece of clothing for 4 friggin' years.

Man, I chuck that thing at the end of the day (okay maybe 2 days) and pick up a new one in the morning.

My first time in a US hospital was a bit of a shocker ("why are all these waiters wearing stethoscopes?!?"). Like Neilc says above, we wear them long in Europe. So picture me:

Arnold Schwarzenegger accent.
Longest coat money could buy.
Name tag saying "Stud. Med."

Yes, there were jokes and weird looks.

dude, you rock. i want to party with you!:laugh:

"stud. med." i love it!

what i can't get over here (prague) is the shoe thing. you have to have a different pair of clogs for every damn room, it seems. OR and wards, and no street shoes on the unless you want a good yelling at. in the states, we put on our work clothes (shoes included) at home. the best part is, they get all bent if you wear the street shoes in the hospital, but i'll be damned if all the docs don't wear their clogs out in the street between buildings, on smoke breaks or whatever. so, what is the difference????