What are you going to miss when you leave for school!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellinopedo182

Deleted User
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to miss...

l

For most Chicagoans and suburbanites, you know what this restaurant is.

Members don't see this ad.

Discretionary income

San Francisco

iStock_000001277460SmallGGBridge.jpg

somtowersunset.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Game Day at Neyland Stadium. There hasn't been a season since I was about 4 that I haven't gotten to go to at least a couple of these games...Definitely going to miss this. :(
neyland-orange.jpg

Edit: I just found one of my favorites I took, I think my freshman year. Everytime I look at it, I get chills.
T.jpg

Allisome, if you end up at GA-PCOM, I assure you that you will be requred to take me to a game there. During my stay in SEC land, I will have to hit up Neyland Stadium, as well as the cocktail party on UF-UGA weekend, so I don't feel like I wasted my time there. All associated tailgating will also be required.

Allisome, if you end up at GA-PCOM, I assure you that you will be requred to take me to a game there. During my stay in SEC land, I will have to hit up Neyland Stadium, as well as the cocktail party on UF-UGA weekend, so I don't feel like I wasted my time there. All associated tailgating will also be required.

haha, I would love to take you to a game. You wouldn't be let down, that's for sure. We have Florida at home next year, I'm going to try to make that one, even if I'm in NY.

But also, I will be missing them:
2007_1205Senior0011.jpg

And him!
foundersday3.jpg

Ok, back to studying!

San Francisco

iStock_000001277460SmallGGBridge.jpg

somtowersunset.jpg
I had the pleasure of visiting my friend at Berkley here last summer. I found where I want to spend the rest of my life. We did the bike tour that went across the Golden Gate and into Sausalito. So Beautiful.

To bad you have to sell your internal organs to afford living there

I think the fact that I work constantly will make moving easier. I've got some good friends here, but I work so much that I barely get to see them. In fact, I'm at work now.

I will miss bike rides out on Loop 360, Bee Caves, and my Hwy 71 ride. My hill repeats in the super-rich neighborhood too.

I'll miss my job at the trauma center. I've made great friends here, and I love working here too. Having said that, however, the job is mindless, and I am looking forward to some new challenges.

I'll also make new friends, and I'll keep in touch with my old ones too.

I'll miss my Longhorns. Being involved with a Final Four basketball team was incredible. We have had a "solid" program for a while, but the year I worked with the guys, we took our first real step into the ranks of the elite. I was also in Austin when VY brought us back against USC to win the national championship. That was a great time. I'll miss being able to head over to campus to watch a game.

I'll be leaving Texas women for Georgia women. I think I'll live.

But most of all, I'll miss Bevo, for he is the lord of all cattle.

When I leave for school I'm pretty sure I'll miss my mind the most :p

That and running in central park

I'll be missing the following:

money to spend, pretty much every food service company except applebee's, SEC football, family, the beach, Good BBQ, flat roads, and the ability to do whatever I want when I want without regard to cost.

hmmm.....I am still thinking.....and really I don't think I'll miss anything....I am in a cold and rainy place, and I am a sun lover....bring on the heat. I am on the liberal west coast and I am a conservative southern girl. I used to get to go see some of the best college sports games (UT) weekly and the best they have here is the blazers. I am an 8 hour plane trip from my family and many good friends

hmmmm......yeah, no.....nothing......I am ready:laugh:

I'm going to miss Sugar
Sugar.jpg

AZCOM student housing doesn't let you bring dogs. She will have to stay at my in-law's. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
icedteanew.gif

miss it so much already. the raspberry one

Being from Texas, I'm sure you'll appreciate the SEC's passion for football. There is really nothing like game day Saturdays in the SEC...

I'm going to miss tailgates with my crazy drunk friends...
n201400903_30533848_7469.jpg

Ginnie Springs with a cooler(s) full of beer.

Huntin' and fishin' with my dad on the weekends.

Minimal traffic.

English....the language, not the class.

I'm going to miss Sugar
Sugar.jpg

AZCOM student housing doesn't let you bring dogs. She will have to stay at my in-law's. :(

The pecking order in Slim's household
1. The wife
2. The baby / Sugar (interchangeable)
9. The washing machine
10. Slim

Well maybe you are a little higher than the washing machine, but not much I am sure:p

The pecking order in Slim's household
1. The wife
2. The baby / Sugar (interchangeable)
9. The washing machine
10. Slim

Well maybe you are a little higher than the washing machine, but not much I am sure:p

It's like you know me....

It's like you know me....

Same boat minus the kids. Lucky for me that the dog is not 100% house trained yet (small dogs take awhile unfortunately) or else I am sure that she would be replacing me on the bed at night. ;)

i'm definitely going to miss this:

15th Street in Del Mar, my regular surf spot. Granted this was a small day, but I love this spot for so many reasons.
taras_15thstreet_delmar.jpg

the Living Room, the coffee shop in La Jolla I spend so much of my free time at, talking with my best friends about politics, girls, cars, life, politics, girls. The people watching Saturday morning on this patio is THE BEST in the city:
livingroom_la_jolla_front.jpg

I'll miss:
1. one particular 14410 foot mountain and several lesser ones
2. proximity to Whistler
3. ferries and islands
4. Trader Joe's
5. tulips
6. my mom
7. real neighborhoods
8. spring sun erases long term memory re: rain (or nobody could live here)

What I won't miss:
1. nagging incessant drizzle that saps your soul
2. endemic passive aggression
3. endless horrible drivers in Porsche Cayennes
4. the eastside
5. my sisters

Following DrMid:

What I will miss
-spending all day with my kids

What I won't miss
-Texas

My boyfriend
My bunnies
My parents and sisters

thats about it. but those are huge for me.

I'm going to miss my income :(
I'm going to miss going home after work and not having the freedom to go out for drinks or just sit and knit and read
I'm going to miss the Continental rooftop bar
I'm going to miss seeing my friends as often as I do
I'm going to miss traveling as much as I have been this year
I'm going to miss my current apartment

But I'm not going to miss Philadelphia since I'll still be around....and despite all the things I am going to miss, I'm still pscyched to start :love:

my friends and family on the east coast.. but moving to the bay area (after reading the things people will miss) seems even more appealing!

I'm going to miss Chicago in general (well except for the winters). There really isn't a better area to be during the summer. My favorite place is Wrigley Field for a cubs game. Give me a cold drink and a sunny day in the bleachers and I'm in heaven.

I'll miss:
1. one particular 14410 foot mountain and several lesser ones

There is only ONE 14410 foot mountain you could POSSIBLY be talking about!! I just got my Rainier climbing permits and reservation confirmation yesterday!! Camp Sherman and Emmons-Winthrop May 27-31!! Assuming my ankles heal and I can actually WALK! :eek:

I'm gonna miss mountains and snow in general. I sat and thought about it for a good half hour the other day...90% of my free time is generally spent in the mountains...why in the name of all that is holy am I going to southern Florida?!?!?!?!?!?

Nate.

There is only ONE 14410 foot mountain you could POSSIBLY be talking about!! I just got my Rainier climbing permits and reservation confirmation yesterday!! Camp Sherman and Emmons-Winthrop May 27-31!! Assuming my ankles heal and I can actually WALK! :eek:

I'm gonna miss mountains and snow in general. I sat and thought about it for a good half hour the other day...90% of my free time is generally spent in the mountains...why in the name of all that is holy am I going to southern Florida?!?!?!?!?!?

Nate.

Um...Nate did my invite to join you on this trip get lost in the mail? or what ?

1) The only friend I will have left who won't already be deployed when I move...and her precious daughter. I've known her little girl since she was three days old. It'll be hard to leave her.

2) The ocean. I love the ocean. Listening to it. Looking at it. Swimming in it. Running beside it. Knowing that I'm never more than 30 minutes away from it. I love the ocean. Looking foward to the desert, though. I love the desert, too.

3) Wearing a uniform every day really blows, but it does make my life easier. I'll miss the mindlessness involved in my morning routine. I think I'll adapt, though.

4) I'll miss my apartment. Nicest place I've ever lived. Cheap, too. On that note, I'll miss the low prices of rent here.

5) Charleston. I do love this city. It's gorgeous.

6) My chief's mad networking skills. Wish I could take those with me.

I'll miss being the one that writes the tests and considers "exam days" as the easy days of the semester. No lecturing on those days, just relax, sit back and watch them all squirm. ;)

I'll tell you what I have been longing for since school began:

Restful sleep and getting up when I want. I haven't had too many days of restful sleep since school started. I've pretty much been on the edge of my seat for a long time.

My family and friends. I've been feeling pretty lonely and disconnected without my network of support nearby. My previous friends have all but written me off, due to my unavailability. Luckily, I've been able to connect with a few colleagues and we have become good friends.

Eating something better than Ramen and frozen foods. I do occasionally eat out and get good food, but most of the time I'm so busy that Ramen, frozen pizza, frozen burritos, and Hamburger Helper are my staples. Yeah, it's Metabolic Syndrome X waiting to happen.

Feeling like I don't need to do anything important tomorrow... Being able to take a day or two off, without fear or guilt, and just go anywhere, because I feel like it.

Not having to count every penny to make sure I'll be able to pay my rent at the end of the month.

Wearing normal clothing. I wear scrubs almost every day and professional attire + white coat, the rest.

Not smelling like Formalin + decaying flesh on anatomy lab days...

Being close enough to the beach to bike there and close enough to the mountains to hike when I feel like it...

Having a normal conversation with normal people for no reason at all.

Cultural diversity...

Reading for pleasure...

when i leave for school, i'm definitely going to miss my amazingly wonderful steady income! also, i'm definitely going to miss Lake Tahoe
500x500_bd724089e98037fa326a82150ac05c4e.jpg

I'm going to miss my house. We just finished getting it the way we like it, and now we're moving. I'm also going to miss my family, though we're also moving near some other family, so I guess that's a trade off.

Going to miss the Cubbies. I think anyone from Chicago would agree that Wrigley on a nice spring day is the best!

Will miss the midwestern people. Everyone is just so laid back and friendly, hoping that FL is the same way.

Sorry Ellinopedo182, I have never heard of that place and I've lived in the Chicagoland area all my life.

Prions, I understand completely. SF is the best. I left the bay area in 2000 for graduate school- have lived in NYC, Florida, and now Pittsburgh PA. But, now is my turn to go back to SF!!!! Heading to TUCOM!!!! Will be with family again after all these years! So, I won't miss a thing. Can't wait to be back in the Bay Area!!!!

windowslivewriterbetterecmmeetupinsanfranciscoatthegilban-c6basanfran-at-night2.jpg

Can't wait to be back in the Bay Area!!!!

REM12, I definitely agree! After spending this past summer there, I'm so excited that I'll get to be in San Francisco all year long!

Prions, I understand completely. SF is the best. I left the bay area in 2000 for graduate school- have lived in NYC, Florida, and now Pittsburgh PA. But, now is my turn to go back to SF!!!! Heading to TUCOM!!!! Will be with family again after all these years! So, I won't miss a thing. Can't wait to be back in the Bay Area!!!!

windowslivewriterbetterecmmeetupinsanfranciscoatthegilban-c6basanfran-at-night2.jpg

Awww I'm jealous. I didn't get into Touro :( Oh well, I'll be back in 4 years to do my residency in CA :D Congrats on Touro and have fun for me too while you're out here! ;)

Game Day at Neyland Stadium. There hasn't been a season since I was about 4 that I haven't gotten to go to at least a couple of these games...Definitely going to miss this. :(
neyland-orange.jpg

Edit: I just found one of my favorites I took, I think my freshman year. Everytime I look at it, I get chills.
T.jpg

I totally understand, except on Tennessee of course! I'm a major Auburn fan and have to go to many of the games! Hopefully I can go to Ga-PCOM and I'll only be about an hour and a half away!

Skier, see you there! Can't wait to start. My wife and I are moving in a couple of weeks. Will be living in Rockridge. A bit of a commute but couldn't pass up living there. Do you have a place yet? I hear we're starting on Aug 4!!!

Prions, thanks. Will do. But, just think how much money you'll save being out of the bay area for a while. Plus, starting med school next year ANYWHERE is awesome. Best of luck to ya!

I totally understand, except on Tennessee of course! I'm a major Auburn fan and have to go to many of the games! Hopefully I can go to Ga-PCOM and I'll only be about an hour and a half away!

Did you see my post with the picture from the shot bus at the War Eagle Supper Club? (I'd dig up the photo and post it again if I wasn't feeling so lazy...) I'm a big Gator fan and I made the trip up to Auburn with a few buddies in '06. Despite the loss, it was a blast. Auburn fans were really cool, too. (With the exception of a few a-holes....every school's got 'em....some more than others.)

Skier, see you there! Can't wait to start. My wife and I are moving in a couple of weeks. Will be living in Rockridge. A bit of a commute but couldn't pass up living there. Do you have a place yet? I hear we're starting on Aug 4!!!

I'll be living in San Francisco (at least for the first year), probably in the SOMA/Potrero Hill area with my boyfriend, so I've got the commute as well! I think I'm going to move out there just after I finish my MPH, so June? Rockridge is a great area, lots of good restaurants around there :)

My Theta little sister.

Don't we just look like trouble?

Picture7.jpg

Burning Man.

For the last four years, I've been a (temporary) resident of Black Rock City, Nevada, a city which exists for one week a year and has a population ranging from 0 to 50,000 participants. During the week-long event, I've been a part of the Emergency Services Department, volunteering as a 911 dispatcher and a medic, providing public safety for the whole scene.. I've also laughed, cried, sweated, bled, and had my mind blown there unlike anywhere else on earth.

I even filed my AACOMAS applications and finished my personal statements from Black Rock City this year. Due to starting at NSUCOM this fall, I'm unlikely to make it back to my adopted home for at least the next four years.

I've also fallen in love with the harsh, profound natural beauty of northern Nevada and the Black Rock Desert. I've lived there for several months in 2006, happily hanging my hat in a trailer park in Gerlach, NV, population 499. This flat, dry, arid nothingness can quite readily kill you if you look at it funny.

Remind me again why I've relocated to the urban sprawl of Fort Lauderdale and southern Florida? This desert rat had better figure out the urban jungle quickly.:cool:

I'm going to miss my little 2 br brick cottage-like house. Nobody is going to love it like I did! It's on a main street within walking distance of an old little town that has now been included into Lincoln. I have restaurants, a grocery store, a liberal arts college, Walgreens, a candy store, a couple coffee houses, several dance and art studios, an elelmentary school, and tons of other stuff just a few blocks away. I can ride my bike to work and I live about a mile away from my mom and sister. I am starting to get a little depressed about this. :thumbdown:

I'm going to miss my little 2 br brick cottage-like house. Nobody is going to love it like I did! It's on a main street within walking distance of an old little town that has now been included into Lincoln. I have restaurants, a grocery store, a liberal arts college, Walgreens, a candy store, a couple coffee houses, several dance and art studios, an elelmentary school, and tons of other stuff just a few blocks away. I can ride my bike to work and I live about a mile away from my mom and sister. I am starting to get a little depressed about this. :thumbdown:

How far is it from Lincoln to KCUMB?

How far is it from Lincoln to KCUMB?

It is about 170 miles; about 3 hours. I have been seriously considering renting a room in the apt building, CT, across the street and commuting back every weekend. I still have to think about it. My older son says he would prefer this and get to finish his last year of elementary school where he has been since he was 3, for the last 7 years, than move to KC. He walks to his grandparents' house (my ex in-laws) every day after school until I get off of work and spends the night with my sister's kids every Friday night and could still do this. He could keep taking piano with the same teacher he's had and do drums, which are hard to get, at school next year. My younger son will never even remember if I did this for 1 or 2 years bc he will be 3 and 4. Since I just hit 80%, my mortgage payment will probably fall to $550 and it would cost $800-$900 to rent a house in KC where I feel safe. Gas would probably end up being the same. I don't know. It's really sounding like a good idea but I don't know if I could handle being away from my kids so much. What do you, or anyone else for the matter, think?

I am going to miss:
1. My parents
2. My brothers and dog
3. My almost-3-year-old cousin who currently thinks I'm the coolest person in the world (and I'm terrified he won't care/remember me when I come back to see him during breaks).
4. Having time to do nothing.
5. All my friends around here.
6. Eating good food (I can't really cook, and even if I could, I doubt I'll have the time).
7. Cool fall or spring days.

It is about 170 miles; about 3 hours. I have been seriously considering renting a room in the apt building, CT, across the street and commuting back every weekend. I still have to think about it. My older son says he would prefer this and get to finish his last year of elementary school where he has been since he was 3, for the last 7 years, than move to KC. He walks to his grandparents' house (my ex in-laws) every day after school until I get off of work and spends the night with my sister's kids every Friday night and could still do this. He could keep taking piano with the same teacher he's had and do drums, which are hard to get, at school next year. My younger son will never even remember if I did this for 1 or 2 years bc he will be 3 and 4. Since I just hit 80%, my mortgage payment will probably fall to $550 and it would cost $800-$900 to rent a house in KC where I feel safe. Gas would probably end up being the same. I don't know. It's really sounding like a good idea but I don't know if I could handle being away from my kids so much. What do you, or anyone else for the matter, think?

Wow, that's a really tough decision. (That's helpful isn't it? ;)) It sounds like a great idea for your older son because it sounds like he really doesn't want to move. I always hoped as a parent I would take into consideration how my child(ren) felt about something like that. On the other hand I personally couldn't stand to be away from my kids for that long. Are classes at KCUMB mandatory attendance. If you don't have mandatory Friday classes could you possibly go back to NE Thursday night? I think it's also important to consider how much you think that driving time would hinder your study time. If I knew more about KCUMB I might have more concrete suggestions for you. I guess it works out well for me that my kids don't even realize that we'll be moving or understand what moving is. What does your SO think?

Wow, that's a really tough decision. (That's helpful isn't it? ;)) It sounds like a great idea for your older son because it sounds like he really doesn't want to move. I always hoped as a parent I would take into consideration how my child(ren) felt about something like that. On the other hand I personally couldn't stand to be away from my kids for that long. Are classes at KCUMB mandatory attendance. If you don't have mandatory Friday classes could you possibly go back to NE Thursday night? I think it's also important to consider how much you think that driving time would hinder your study time. If I knew more about KCUMB I might have more concrete suggestions for you. I guess it works out well for me that my kids don't even realize that we'll be moving or understand what moving is. What does your SO think?

I haven't really figured out the schedule yet and what's mandatory and what's not. I think we have a quiz every other Monday morning and possibly an occasional quiz on Fridays or something but I'm not sure. My SO isn't that thrilled with the idea and wants everyone to move down there but he also whines all the time about leaving his friends and car club so I thought he might like to stay with them. I don't know what I'm doing yet, I just hope I can figure it all out soon and not have my family get too upset with me.