What are you looking forward to in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostinLift

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm excited to have the majority of my grades come from multiple choice tests. I also look forward to being truly challenged by school and actually being motivated to rise to said challenge. New people and new opportunities, etc.

What about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm excited to have the majority of my grades come from multiple choice tests. I also look forward to being truly challenged by school and actually being motivated to rise to said challenge. New people and new opportunities, etc.

What about you?

Hear hear!:highfive:

I'm looking forward to finally throwing off the uncertainty of being a premed. To know that it's no longer if, but what kind of MD I'll be is a great feeling. Also looking forward to making some new friends in school.

Most of all, I'm looking forward to learning how to be a great doctor.

Reactions: 4 users

What about you?

Eh, it gets old pretty quick. But good attitude regardless.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, it gets old pretty quick. But good attitude regardless.

I believe it was a Ted talk, maybe Tony Robbins, about the power of rationalization. If you convince yourself that something is better, you will believe it, and you'll be happier. And it's not hard to convince myself that I'd rather be pursuing medicine, despite all its faults, than working in any office/cubicle based or laboratory setting.

Reminder set on my calendar to check this thread 1 year from now though ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I believe it was a Ted talk, maybe Tony Robbins, about the power of rationalization. If you convince yourself that something is better, you will believe it, and you'll be happier. And it's not hard to convince myself that I'd rather be pursuing medicine, despite all its faults, than working in any office/cubicle based or laboratory setting.

Is that the shallow hal guy?

The camaraderie between myself and my classmates (hopefully) and all the new knowledge that I will gain.

I hate every single one of the pre's who I have to begrudgingly see class after class. It's like-- can I take a virology or biochem class without seeing so-and-so!? I look forward to never having to see them again. As a matter of fact, I should just switch schools now.

Haha. Just kidding.

Fully recorded lectures and P/NP grading lol

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Being on a path to getting a degree which will qualify me for a job which will actually pay me money (in 9-12 years).

Not working on a oil rig

Reactions: 1 users

I will be very curious to hear your thoughts in a year as well haha. I wonder what mine were when I was back in your shoes just a year ago..

Rationalization is great, and you will do well keeping the big-picture perspective about how going into medicine is better than a lot of other lots in life, but sometimes school will suck and you will want to vent about it. Which is what most med students come on SDN to do, so don't expect a ton of med students to come on here and share your excited sentiment, but you shouldn't let that bother you.

For one, I'm still very happy with my choice to go into medical school despite some of the BS.

Anatomy lab. Looking at all of the variation in the room, checking out their diseases and injuries.

"Who is this person?"

Can't wait!

For all the "Oh, THAT'S how..." moments.

(Sure they'll be even more "still don't get it"s though)

Sim dummies, research, free clinic volunteering... and... yeah, the white coat

I'm studying for step 1 and this is happening to me all the time. I just figured out how lupus works last night.

Reactions: 7 users
I really look forward to going back to school and being challenged. I have never found school hard, save one or two upper division math classes in college. I have always wanted to put 100% of my effort into school, but it has never really been necessary. I am sure that won't be the case in medical school.

I dunno, there's something nice in not knowing what goes into the sausage.

I think I truly became afraid of flying when I got my degree in aeronautical engineering and started working in industry. I figured out all the different ways that stuff can happen, and that the people who design and build (and maintain) critical components aren't really all that much brighter than your average Tom, Dick, or Harry.

No, I think the thing I'm looking forward to is getting to work with my classmates and then patients later on. Beats that tar out of working in a cube.

Can't wait to not be juggling a billion different things: two jobs, volunteering, EC's, wasted time in lecture, shadowing, homework, studying... It will be nice to just focus on learning things and maybe doing research / exploring different areas of medicine. I suppose I'll keep up with the EC's and volunteering, actually, but man it will be nice to (hopefully) not have to physically attend lectures and not work 40+ hours/week on top of classes.

I just think it'll be a really good bonding experience between me and future classmates. I'm certainly not looking forward to endless studying though.

Moving on from pre-allo forum to greener pastures of allo.

Srs though p/f grading and learning material that will at least be remotely relevant.

Pretty much just the reason to be quitting my god awful soul sucking job.

Reactions: 7 users
Free food and coffee in the admissions office on interview days.

You know you're excited about this too.

More multiple choice exams to look forward to? Fan-freakin-tastic...:yeahright:

Feeling like poking around in UpToDate is no longer procrastinating.

All the anatomies.

Working in a lab on a project that will publish (hopefully!).

Staying up until 2 am to study because I love whatever I'm reading and don't want to stop.

Finding a running buddy and running with them.

Bitching about my workload over coffee.

"What are you looking forward to in medical school?"

The mob of cute girls that will come running once I enroll .

Feeling like poking around in UpToDate is no longer procrastinating.

All the anatomies.

Working in a lab on a project that will publish (hopefully!).

Staying up until 2 am to study because I love whatever I'm reading and don't want to stop.

Finding a running buddy and running with them.

Bitching about my workload over coffee.

Boy you bout that life,

What are you looking forward to in medical school?

Never ending pimping sessions and UFAP'ping during M2...in all seriousness, probably having the chance to finally do something that's pertinent to my future.

So it's okay if I read GoT until 2 am, but not if it's assigned reading on something I'm interested in?

EDIT: Yes, I'm a loser and a grind.

You'd be amazed at how much of what you learn is clinically irrelevant minutiae that isn't actually interesting in the slightest bit. Sure you read some fascinating things, but the minutiae really ruins so much of it. :(

Most of what you learn in med school is boring and irrelevant nonsense.

Psych and Path are cool tho.

No more exams and finals. Oh wait! I think that's even more intense in med school.

Pretty much just the reason to be quitting my god awful soul sucking job.

Last Friday was my last day. I went to sleep last night at 5:30AM, the same time that I would usually have to wake up to go to work for said soul sucking. Feels SO. ****ING. GOOD.

Reactions: 2 users
Learning somewhat relevant stuff...

If you enjoy being beaten down to a metaphorical bloody pulp and never be the same person you once were, then have fun! ;)

bring_it_on_matrix.gif

Last Friday was my last day. I went to sleep last night at 5:30AM, the same time that I would usually have to wake up to go to work for said soul sucking. Feels SO. *******. GOOD.
Le sigh:(, I have 6 weeks left.