What are you looking forward to in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yalie05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I've read a lot of negative things about medical training and the medical profession itself, so I wanted to start this thread to remind us why we're going into this profession in the first place.

I'll start. I'm looking forward to learning more about the human body.

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea. I can't wait to start learning about the amazing technologies that people come up with to fix the human body. Also, meeting patients and forming actual relationships with them will be amazing. Oh and the white coat ceremony :D

I can't wait until surgery rotation - well, all 3rd and 4th year really :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really excited about rotations and about the classes I will be taking following the first 3 months of school.

Two words: Red porsche.

Oh, wait, that's after medical school.

;) Just kidding guys.

I'm looking forward to all the cool textbooks! I know they distribute class notes, but I'm still buying the books, I love books.

Oh and learning how to do physical exams. And slinging a stethoscope around my neck. :D

SanDiegoSOD said:
Two words: Red porsche.

Oh, wait, that's after medical school.

;) Just kidding guys.

NO kidding- Red 911 Turbo GT2 omg I want to cream I can't wait to pick it up in 15 years! :D

finally knowing where im going in life. being a premed is really hard cause youre never really sure all your hard work is going to pay off. finally being accepted and making plans for the future i'd say..

I'm looking forward to gaining 15 lbs cause I'll be eating like **** while I study my ass off.. I'm looking forward to bitching about how I have a **** load of crap to study and how craptacular anatomy is. I'm looking forward to bitching about the cost of tuition and the intrest that's already acrewing on my unsub loans.
Actually I'm pretty stoked to be starting med school ;)

I am looking forward to actually enjoying volunteering. I can't wait to volunteer at the free clinic on weekends and hopefully permanently say goodbye to the lousy volunteer positions I have held the past few years!

YzIa said:
I am looking forward to actually enjoying volunteering. I can't wait to volunteer at the free clinic on weekends and hopefully permanently say goodbye to the lousy volunteer positions I have held the past few years!
See I'm actually very sad that I'm gonna have to put all my volunteer stuff on hold till I finish.. but this summer I'm gonna max out all my time doing stuff so hopefully that will help.

YzIa said:

If I get into Toronto I'd probably hold on to at least half of my current volunteer positions. Which kinda reflects one thing I'm looking forward to, I've been seeing people in the ER for the past 3 years with a primitive understanding of the medical side of things, I can't wait for rotations where you're actually in there doing physical and making diagnoses.

YzIa said:

Seriously... I've helped nurses wipe patient's arses for about 200 hours now. I'd at least like the opportunity to wear a white coat while I wipe someone's a** ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was excited and anxious through the whole application process.. but now that I'm accepted, I keep having thoughts about medical school. I love the profession, but I am uneasy about the system and I feel guilty about being involved in it. I took into account all the problems with medicine before going through with it, and made peace with it.. but for some reason, the uneasy feelings amplifies as matriculation day draw closer.

I don't think I'm going to make any drastic decision like not attending. I guess I am looking forward the the real experience, to see how/if my perspective will change/sway.

acl3623 said:
finally knowing where im going in life. being a premed is really hard cause youre never really sure all your hard work is going to pay off. finally being accepted and making plans for the future i'd say..

I totally agree! ;) The last four years of applying/reapplying have been really emotionally tough. But the tuition thing is kind of scary! :eek:

Yalie05 said:
Recently, I've read a lot of negative things about medical training and the medical profession itself, so I wanted to start this thread to remind us why we're going into this profession in the first place.

I'll start. I'm looking forward to learning more about the human body.

a mix of med school and being a doc in general

- getting to hold a human heart, kidney, lung, uterus, etc... (you get the point) in my hand.

- reeking of formaldhyde and loving it.

- spending countless hours in the hospital, drinking too much coffee and bonding with my peers.

- cracking corney med jokes

- telling a mother "it's not cancer" / "she'll be alright" and watching her face light up

- knowing I changed someone's life

wow, that was super corney but i'm really tired and.... oh... i hope i get in...

I'm looking forward to meeting new people (just seeing the same 5 coworkers every day wears on you). I'm also looking forward to being a student again and kicking this 9 to 5 business to the curb for a little bit. Something about having the afternoon off to study, workout, shop, etc sounds very appealing to me after being chained to a cubicle for two years.

I'm also of course looking forward to years 3 and 4, particularly when it comes time for electives.

what am i not looking forward? not having a salary and adjusting to the workload.....

I'm looking forward to meeting my future husband......just kidding...a little :)
I'm reeaally looking forward to just being in that environment of learning and getting to know my future colleagues...just knowing that my dream is about to be a reality is awesome!

intelligent women?

hah, i'm a dreamer. but seriously, i dont think there is much i'm not looking forward to! but really, a comfortable life is the most appealing. I'll be able to take out loans for personal expenses without having to worry if i'll have the means to pay them off.

and i most certainly wouldnt waste my money on a porsche! im dreaming of a bottom up restoration of a 68' Camaro SS! it'll kick your porsche's ass any day.

Being married....since I'll have just done that by the time I plan to matriculate.

Having one goal to focus on - instead of work, school, research, EC's, etc., like I have now. I want to put all my energy into working at one thing.

i am looking forward to studying!!

actually no, but i am looking forward to doing some nursing students on my offtimes =D j.k

im really looking forward to be able to disect a cadaver and going thru the clinical rotations and learn about the different specialities in medicine

byeh2004 said:
actually no, but i am looking forward to doing some nursing students on my offtimes =D j.k
Actually, I will be doing a nurse on my off-time. :smuggrin:

The last day :D .

Doc.Holliday said:
intelligent women?

hah, i'm a dreamer.

Don't worry, there are plenty of us out there! :D

When does the white coat ceremony take place and what is it all about if you don't mind?

DianaLynne said:
Don't worry, there are plenty of us out there! :D

but not matter how smart they are they'll need a study partner for anatomy right?

i presented that as a facetious statement, but it actually is something i really look forward to.

cpowell21 said:
When does the white coat ceremony take place and what is it all about if you don't mind?

Im excited to learn about the human body, as well as making some new friends and getting wasted with them after tests... volunteering and rotations will be cool too.....just knowing that I have direction in my life is the best part, and that all the hard work thus far has paid off...

The white coat ceremony takes place at all different times for each med school, although I think most occur before classes start. Its a symbolic ceremony, a rite of passage for students entering into the medical profession.

New place, new people, learning things I actually want to learn, and being able to tell people I'm a med student or in medical school instead of just premed.

I'm looking forward to...

- hot male med students :D
- cadavers. Something about seeing what's inside...
- electives (specifically ob/gyn). I want to deliver a baby!! (I know, I know, that is later...)
- no longer having correct my familiy when they tell people I am in med school
- being surrounded by people who have something between their ears that actually functions!
- learning from patients -- there is always a new perspective!
- knowing how the body functions

That's just a random scatter of reasons. There are def. more. And I don't want a red porsche... though, I would probably look twice at a guy in a red porsche. :) I want a BMW 330i. Maybe. I'll probably change my mind... but really it's all about getting through med school and making a difference in at least one person's life.

Oh, and definitely the white coat ceremony -- I'll no longer have to feel like an imposter in my lab coat! :D

on_the_fence said:
I'm looking forward to...

- no longer having correct my familiy when they tell people I am in med school

Well, now you'll probably have to correct them when they tell people you are a doctor!

I can't wait to start. I'm looking forward to just about everything. :D

joe6102 said:
Well, now you'll probably have to correct them when they tell people you are a doctor!

lol. :) I think saying I am in med school will be enough for them.

Also, if they tell people I am a doctor, I can say, "Well, I am training to be one," whereas now, I get to say "No, no. I haven't even taken the MCAT!"

sorry for offtop

I'm not a pre-med student, but out of curiousity have been browsing the thread. It seems that you guys are all, except a few, have very good intentions in becoming doctors. I wish you the best of luck in getting into med school or if you already a med student, then enjoy your profession. My mom is a doctor and from her I learned a lot about how your profession can be a key factor in changing for better many people's lives. You all are very special and always needed!!!

Once again, keep up this optimism and good luck to all!

intellectual stimulation.

and finally associating with the smart people again... you don't realize how many dumb people there are in the world until you're out of school a couple of years! :)

I can't wait until I actually LEARN HOW TO DO MEDICAL STUFF AND ANSWER MEDICAL QUESTIONS!

I hate it when my friends/relatives ask me medical stuff, just because I'm going to med school...I just smile and tell them :"I'm not a doctor yet, ask one!" :(

Karina

i'm looking forward to:

-never taking another humanities course
-learning how to do physical exams
-learning about the "big picture" of health (as in how disease somewhere can affect and seemingly unrelated location in the body)
-being around people who are as interested in medicine as me

stoic said:
i'm looking forward to:

-never taking another humanities course
:thumbup: That will be the best part! Unless your school has an ethics course

Hellooo...anyone seen Harold and Kumar? How bout that sticky icky icky, right at our fingertips ;)

Joking, slightly.

TheProwler said:
Being married....since I'll have just done that by the time I plan to matriculate.

Having one goal to focus on - instead of work, school, research, EC's, etc., like I have now. I want to put all my energy into working at one thing.
I second that thought. The past three years have been full of too many things to focus on. It'll be so nice to finally do what you love instead of jumping through hoops, taking bull sh.. classes, and figuring out how to please the committee. The hard work will totally pay off!!

TheProwler said:

Wait, aren't you still in college? I'm assuming you're around 21...so isn't that a little young? Is it just me or are there an awful lot of people who enter med school married? :eek:

I'm looking forward to having even less of a social life, smelling like formaldehyde all the time, and paying out the nose to go to school.

getunconcsious said:
I'm looking forward to having even less of a social life, smelling like formaldehyde all the time, and paying out the nose to go to school.
Yes.. good stuff.

looking forward to moving on with my life career-wise..
and wanna get married

dragonmate said:
I second that thought. The past three years have been full of too many things to focus on. It'll be so nice to finally do what you love instead of jumping through hoops, taking bull sh.. classes, and figuring out how to please the committee. The hard work will totally pay off!!

Don't want to burst any bubbles out there, but the hoop jumping has just started for all of you! Get used to it. From subjective rotation evaluations, to more and more standardized tests, to more volunteer work, to more research, to residency applications and matching . . . it NEVER ends!

I commend all of your positivity and I don't want to downplay that, but just be ready! You should all save these and read them when you're done with medical school for a good laugh.

SteelEyes said:
I commend all of your positivity and I don't want to downplay that, but just be ready! You should all save these and read them when you're done with medical school for a good laugh.

I harbor no idiotic expectations that there will be ANYTHING to look forward to in medical school, and I fully expect these next four years to be among the worst years of my life. I feel sorry for my colleagues here who are deluding themselves into thinking that they can enjoy medical school.

Think about it this way. If you encounter ~1 person per day that you can positively determine is an a**hole, then they are an a**hole. However, if you encounter several people each day who you find are surely a**holes, than YOU are the a**hole. Basically it is all about perspective and how you interact with the world around you that will determine what experience you have. So please at least go in with a positive attitude. I am not saying you have to be idealistic, but at least view it as an experience that will be unforgettable, challenging, yet interesting as a result of its difficulty and you should get by. Yes, it will be hard. But seriously, if you enjoyed things being easy, you really wouldn't be this far. We as pre-meds / med students enjoy challenges and get a little kick out of surpassing any level of expectation involved in these challenges. So, please do not burst the OP's bubble by talking negatively, when this thread was specifically made for positive remarks. Thanks.

getunconcsious said:
I harbor no idiotic expectations that there will be ANYTHING to look forward to in medical school, and I fully expect these next four years to be among the worst years of my life. I feel sorry for my colleagues here who are deluding themselves into thinking that they can enjoy medical school.

Calizona said:
Think about it this way. If you encounter ~1 person per day that you can positively determine is an a**hole, then they are an a**hole. However, if you encounter several people each day who you find are surely a**holes, than YOU are the a**hole. Basically it is all about perspective and how you interact with the world around you that will determine what experience you have. So please at least go in with a positive attitude. I am not saying you have to be idealistic, but at least view it as an experience that will be unforgettable, challenging, yet interesting as a result of its difficulty and you should get by. Yes, it will be hard. But seriously, if you enjoyed things being easy, you really wouldn't be this far. We as pre-meds / med students enjoy challenges and get a little kick out of surpassing any level of expectation involved in these challenges. So, please do not burst the OP's bubble by talking negatively, when this thread was specifically made for positive remarks. Thanks.

Here! Here! You should be feeling so lucky that you are getting the opportunity to go to medical school! Have you read all the forums of people who are waitlisted? They would do anything to go to med school. If you are dreading the next four years, then why even go? Give up your spot and let someone go who would actually enjoy and appreciate the experience.

Oh, and I am looking forward to many things in medical school, one of them being surrounded by 108 amazing and unique people.

cpowell21 said:

In my school, it takes place on the last day of orientation (Sunday, Aug 6). Basically, we get our lab coats for the first time, we get to put them up and we do the oath.

Anything else?

Karina

Calizona said:

Oh ALL RIGHT, I won't burst the OP's bubble. And maybe some joy *can* be snatched from the clutches of despair and hysteria in medical school. As for why am I going if I am dreading it...I look at medical school like boot camp. Lots of people want to be marines, but no one claims to enjoy boot camp itself, they just have to get through it to get what they want. I want to be a doctor, in order to do that I have to get through med school. I think that my view is more realistic than pessimistic, because if you haven't noticed the MS1's in here are saying similar things.

BTW, I don't get how your a$$hole metaphor applies here. I didn't call anyone an a$$hole, nor did I claim to run into a lot of them every day....

jllander said:
Oh, and I am looking forward to many things in medical school, one of them being surrounded by 108 amazing and unique people.
I find this interesting, and I'm wondering how many current students would say that they are in a class where everyone is unique. When I worked at a medical school as a person on the outside, it seemed to me that the class was actually quite homogenous. Sure people had some differences but overall they were all kind of cookie cutter types.