What are you planning for March 18th??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are you planning for after Match Day?

• Calling in 'sick' or 'just don't want to go' for the rest of the rotation.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Small family/friend get-together.

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Large friend/strangers party-fest. TOGA! TOGA!

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Finally looking up apartments and houses.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Celebrating by purchasing things (hooray for capitalism!).

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Four letters. E. t. O. H.

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters

Tazmaniac

2 min. from a nice nap
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I can't take the suspense...

-Todd MS-IV USC

Members don't see this ad.

One of the perks of being on the other side of the date-line....Match Day is Friday, 3/19, for me - the party gets kicking & don't have to worry about work the next day!

I'll probably go to church first, then head up to the OR, and hang around in case any interesting cases pop up. Then, I'll probably go and volunteer at a homeless shelter for a few hours before I go to yoga class. I should get home around seven, so I'll probably eat some dinner, read a good book, and be in bed by about nine...

Hi there,
My medical school holds a "Long White Coat Ceremony". Family and friends are invited to join the senior class in the auditorium. At 10AM the ceremony starts with a speech from a nationally known speaker about the challenges that lay ahead and about leaving the nest. At 11:30am, the secretary from the deans office brings a stack of envelopes down.

At that time, each student is cloaked in a long white coat with your name "John Doe, M.D. Department of Internal Medicine" embroidered on the pocket. Each student is then handed their sealed envelope. At noon, everyone opens their envelope at the same time. Boy is it emotional at that point. During my year, the girl standing next to me broke down and sobbed because she didn't get her first choice.

If you didn't match, you have a huge problem and the paper inside the envelope will be blank. If you scrambled successfully, you already know where you are headed so you can celebrate with your clasmates.

After the ceremony, each person puts a tack with their number into a map of the USA. It was interesting to see where some people ended up. After that, the ETOH levels of the senior class goes into the stratosphere. It's a good day and we get the rest of the day off to party and hang.

njbmd:clap:

Good thinking, Vent. Too bad I finished ER last month and don't have ready access to bannana bags anymore. :(

I'm not gonna be at my school's match day festivities. I'm going to South by Southwest in Austin to meet up with a bunch of friends (and to spend St. Patty's on 6th St.). :clap:

Last year at match time I was in Israel right before Op Iraqi Freedom, when we thought Saddam was going to dump all of his chemical/biologic/nuclear weapons on Israel before being disarmed. I carried a gas mask and an atropine pen. I had to know where the nearest bomb shelters were, and I was supposed to create a special gas-proof room in my house but I was too lazy/stressed.

On the day I found out that I had matched, I immediately left town and headed for safer pastures. I read about my match spot in a beach city in the south of Israel.

You guys have it easty.

Eilat.

Beautiful this time of year.