What are you using to study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeatherMarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bought to Official MCAT study guide book. I have been using some of my pre-req textbooks as refrences. What other books I could get or things I can do to help prepare me for my MCAT this spring.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who bought almost everything here's what I found:

PS section - Berkeley Review hands down
Biology - TPR (detailed) or EK (brief) - if you're strong get EK, if you're weak get TPR
Organic - BR hands down
Verbal - EK Verbal 101 book - no question

Best source of all: ALL AAMC Practice tests

I think the biggest thing is doing passages. BR is loaded with them, as is the TPR Hyperlearning book. I didn't find the EK practice material too helpful as BR or TPR's...As someone that keeps delaying their MCAT I noticed marked score improvement with more practice...not more rote learning/memorization.

I haven't touched TBR Bio or Verbal though, but I know TPR's hyperlearning science workbook has very similar passages to MCAT (more problem solving), moreso than EK 1001 Biology questions (more fact recognition). The AAMC practice tests and personal reports indicate that the MCAT is more along the lines of critical thinking and problem solving with the biology section.

Biology: 1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics