What are you wearing the first day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
School starts in about 3 weeks, orientation anyway. I know everyone is casually dressed for class, but on day "one" do people dress up at all? I don't want to wear shorts & tee and be the only one. Ladies, what are you wearing? I'm sure there will be some gunners in suits. Can you imagine? In Gross Anatomy, the girl and the gunner and most of the class were dressed professionally at orientation. I know this is Hollywood's conception, but what about the real world? Any M2s 3s 4s care to comment? Thanks! :)

BTW, is everyone excited, nervous, scared....??

Members don't see this ad.

I would say just dress in the middle...semi-casual.

It doesn't really matter too much. Don't worry about it.

We took a class picture during one of our orientation days, but they told us about it before hand.

Hmm....the first day of med school my class showed up as if the first day of any college class---shorts, tank tops, jeans, etc. A couple people unsure of how to dress went business casual (like khakis and a polo shirt). The only time we ever were expected to dress up in the first two years was if we were involved in patient care that day or for any random ceremonies/events we had to attend.

So...don't worry about it....wear what's comfortable unless told otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to say that I was partial on my first day last year to the girls who wore really tight and short skirts. Then again, there was this one girl in a catholic school girl outfit that I really liked too...(oh wait, that was that britney girl on tv).

peace!

USF has told us what we're supposed to wear the first day - professional attire. If you don't wanna look out of place, just call student affairs and ask. That's what they're there for.

Wow!!! only 3 weeks leftuntil orientation??.... :eek: That means we only 5wks left!!!! :scared: When do you guys start!?

Neat, clean and casual is what I remember from last year! Jeans, slacks, skirts, dresses and yes even tanks and t-shirts...anything goes. Wear a nice top on the day you have to take your ID pictures..(hopefully your class wind up with better looking Ids! :cool: )

In general though, most people dress as they did in undergrad..casually..There are some people who are more dressed up (and made up)..but I don't think they stick out very much either. As M1s, there is no dress code per se, except for the days you have to go see your mentor or do your OSCEs(medical interviewing final..sort of..) M2s have more clinical things to do so we'd probably have to be dressed up more often. M3s and M4...almost always impeccably dressed= nearly always in the hospital.

Have fun in orientation! :thumbup:

Maple,

We start Aug. 9th. Yikes! :scared: I was just at the bookstore looking at the required texts. This is going to get expensive. I'll be in the caribbean 7/31-8/8 so I'll be well rested when I go to orientation. I think the M2s will be there that week for a big/little sib picnic & to give us last years notes. Do you know how they pair us up? Is it by random? It will be great to meet all the M2s that survived first year. Looking at the volume of material is making me anxious. What did I get myself into? :)

Thanks for the reply!!

I wore a pretty nice shirt with jeans...some people were really dressed up and others were just wearing t-shirts and shorts.

Depends completely upon what time I get out of bed. If I've got an hour or so to get dressed, I'll probably wear something nice, like nice shorts and a polo, because it's gonna be HOT where I'm going. If I've got to scramble, I'll throw on whatever is in the closest pile on the floor, and some thong sandals. Sad but true.

A LIME GREEN SPEDO AND A BUD LIGHT WIFE-BEATER T-SHIRT, WITH A NICE COOL CIGARETTE HAT and black flip-flops. Beat that MOFO.

Hey Marianne!

Aug 9th sounds waaay too early!! :( Oh well....gotta start thinking about it sometime!

Big-sib thing is random. We signed up to be big sibs (those who wanted to at least) last semester. We had to specify our preferences for little sibs..ie m/f, from your hometown or not etc..there were other things too, but I can't remember....it was too close to finals! :scared:

About the books...don't buy Moore, unless you want a reference for later on. It's an awesome book..I have it, but I rarely used it. Coops will be more then plenty. There just isn't enough time to read for anatomy. Also there is a copy in the library if you need to get clarifications. Get Lippincot for b-chem. Don't bother with the devo book or cross-sectional anatomy booklet for lab. Don't buy the psych or medical interviewing books either...major waste of money there... :rolleyes: I think that's about it! Hope that saves you some money. :) oh and...be sure to do the freshmen raffle during orientation! :)

You'll be fine...M1 is tough, but we did it and so can you! :) hey...when's the picnic? I think I'm gonna miss it if its during your orientation...I seem to remember it being during classes though..

anyway...see you in a few weeks! :D

Maple

Maple,

I thought it said we get to meet our big sibs on Tuesday during orientation and have a picnic, but I re-read my letter and it is Tuesday Aug 31st. It does say though that our big sibs will be available to help us, answer questions, give us last years notes & co-ops, during orientation week. Are you in the program? Orientation is Aug 9th-13th. For our white coat ceremony, do we get a long lab type coat, or the short jacket? I tried some on to make sure I ordered the right size and the lady in the bookstore said it is the long coat. I thought we needed short ones when we shadow our mentors, and long coats are for gross lab? I also heard scrubs for gross lab are better. What do you think about the clog looking shoes at the bookstore? Are they just four 3rd/4th year rotations? Are sneakers cool for lab? It is so cool having an M2 on the this board to get the inside scoop. :)

Thanks!

-Marianne

Members don't see this ad :)
bikini+feather boa = can never go wrong. :thumbup:

i hate wearing pants, so i like to wear skirts with knee highs since lecom won't let us wear open toed sandals. a nice collared shirt with that too, but i have to say, i look like i'm going back to high school, since i went to a catholic school. i dont' mind though, anything but pants!

Marianne-
Once again, I find your posts about two days late!! Thanks for asking all of the good questions, and thanks to Maple for answering them. Now I won't look like a total fool for overdressing on the first day. :thumbup:
I'm sure there is something else I'll do that will handle that for me anyway.

I'm getting really nervous though, about starting classes, and about leaving my full time job (and the paycheck that goes with it) :scared:

Have fun in the Caribbean

Don

You guys are sooo cute, planning what you're going to wear on your little first day. Ahhh

I was thinking of going for the Elle Woods at Harvard look...

Marianne11 said:
Maple,

I thought it said we get to meet our big sibs on Tuesday during orientation and have a picnic, but I re-read my letter and it is Tuesday Aug 31st. It does say though that our big sibs will be available to help us, answer questions, give us last years notes & co-ops, during orientation week. Are you in the program? Orientation is Aug 9th-13th. For our white coat ceremony, do we get a long lab type coat, or the short jacket? I tried some on to make sure I ordered the right size and the lady in the bookstore said it is the long coat. I thought we needed short ones when we shadow our mentors, and long coats are for gross lab? I also heard scrubs for gross lab are better. What do you think about the clog looking shoes at the bookstore? Are they just four 3rd/4th year rotations? Are sneakers cool for lab? It is so cool having an M2 on the this board to get the inside scoop. :)

Thanks!

-Marianne
Hey!

You're welcome! (Don too) :)

I did sign up for the program..and If I remember correctly, asked for someone from cali...so you never know...I maybe I'll be your big sib! :cool:

Now onto questions...You are right..you will get a short white jacket for mentoring/hospital etc..We don't get anything for anatomy lab. You can buy a long white lab coat or use an old one from undergrad. That's what I did. Some people wore scrubs to lab and others (and myself) just wore some ratty old t-shirt/pants and threw it away at the end of the semester(catharsis....trust me!) :) You don't need clogs for lab...sneakers are fine.I'd pick a pair that you don't like very much. (I threw those away as well! :smuggrin: )

Keep having a fun vacation! :thumbup:

i dont know what i'm going to wear on the first day of school, perhaps i'll ask the internet

oh wait

We were specifically told that orientation would be business casual. So of course, that's what I will do.

But for the first day of class ( and I guess every day afterwards that I am not having any patient interaction), I will probably be more casual yet very neat and clean.

For me, orientation starts July 26...classes start Aug 2.

My friend at Meharry started last week....eek...I thought Wake was early!

And yes, I'm nervous, excited, scared, and every other emotion I can think of.

McP said:
I was thinking of going for the Elle Woods at Harvard look...

You stold my idea. :)

Thanks Don! Thanks Maple! It would be cool if you were mu big sib. :)