Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are your all's extracurricular activities?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Pharmwannab, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Just curious what everyone is doing/has done besides school in order to improve their applications. Mainly just trying to get some ideas out there. This doesn't seem to be talked about a lot here but it's certainly an important part of your application, particulary for people who have lower GPAs (like me) and are trying to offset that.

As for me:

Volunteer at a local hospital as a surgery liason
    Co-founder of the pre-professional health assocation on campus
    Member student health activisit committee
    Member of search committee for a new director of health services at school
    Shadowing a pharmacist at a local retail store
    Pharmacy tech. certified (awaiting licensing. The state board needs to hurry up!)

That's it for now. Before summer I really didn't have anything under my belt. Also planning on working as a pharm. tech. once I get licensed, and if I can't, at least getting volunteer work in a pharmacy before I apply to schools in June.

What all have you done? I'm still looking for other things I can do, so ideas are appreciated.

2. kevintech

kevintech Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Work expierience:
    • 20/hour week job
    • volunteer work at the pharmacy shadowing techs and clerks
    • pharmacy clerk/assistant at kaiser permanente hospital
    • pharmaceutical research collecting data on conusmer preferences on drugs

ECs:
    • Christian Club
    • Phi Theta Kapp International honor society board chair
    • Alpha Gamma Sigma Statewide honor society general member

I will have my BS in two years so it'll be awhile before I apply to USC :]

3. Shovingit

Shovingit well, well, well
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have worked as a technician at Kroger Pharmacy during the last two years of high school and during breaks from college for the last 3 years. That's my only pharmacy related experience.

As far as EC's I am very involved the band program at LSU. They pay my full tuition to remain in the bands while I am there.
    Also I have been on the club lacrosse team for 3 years.

No honor societies, fraternities, anything like that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Worked at NASA in a student internship in 2001. I got to do walkdown inspections for ELV launches, ELV launch rehearsals, clerical work, webpage development and worked among the MIMS (Mission integration managers).

Currently work at Lockheed Martin/ACS.

I joined my university's first semester of our new pre-pharmacy society. I've been in the American Society of Microbiologists, Chemistry Society, and a couple honors organizations. Although, the only society I've actively participated was the pre-pharm society. This is where I've gained most of my experience and knowledge about pharmacy.... that and SDN. ;)

I haven't done any volunteer work in 4 years due to work and school.

Traveling seems to be my true extracurricular activity. I've gone to Japan, England, Hawaii and Louisiana within the past 2 years. I'm going back to Louisiana and then Hawaii within the couple next weeks. Hopefully, Colombia will be added to my passport this summer.

5. GatorRxGirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    work: certified tech in hospital and retail

ec's:
    *academic excellence chair, bylaws commitee, and standards board in kappa delta sorority (put this in volunteer stuff cause of all the philanthropy stuff)
    *volunteer in ortho. at mayo clinic
    *golden key
    *order of omega greek honor society
    *rho lambda panhellenic honor society
    *founder of the student chapter of the american chemical society
    *member of FSHP
    *was in phi theta kappa
    *i also put church activities on pharmcas - i filled it up as much as possible!!!

6. Abilify

Abilify Membership Revoked
    Removed

Some people list SDN as an EC activity! :wow: :wow: :wow:

7. GatorRxGirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    are you serious? i wonder if they get in.

8. fujicake

fujicake Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i don't have much...

i'm a member of:
    -pharmacy society
    -chemistry club (and also a american chem. society student affiliate)
    -pilipino pre-health undergrad student org.

i also started volunteering at a local hospital in the lab. i'm hoping to move to the pharmacy once a position is available.

things i'm planning on doing:
    -golden key (first i have to get my grades up)
    -join iota sigma pi (honor society for women in chemistry)
    -become a certified pharm tech..

we'll see

9. xnc123

xnc123 XNavyChick
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I actually read that in the Pre-pharmacy faq thread about ECs.

10. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I was a math tutor at both the college and high school level. I helped kids pass the FCAT in Florida so they could graduate.

Clubs/Orgs: Phi Theta Kappa, Beta Beta Beta (biology majors honor society)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. usi

usi
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I volunteered at the ER in the hospital, but many years ago.
    I was head of the First Aid Team at my workplace (volunteer within my employer organization)
    I was a science fair judge, and gave science presentations to increase science awareness in the community (go chemistry week!) part of an organization also at my workplace.
    American Chemical Society Member (ACS).
    Scientific Poster Presentation at ACS.

12. fidelio

fidelio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    -hospital volunteer at 3 hospitals
    -choir
    -taiko ensemble
    -student alumni association
    -research lab assistant
    -Public speaking club
    -orchestra

13. Khushi

Khushi some indian chick
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    dance team in my uni, and women-in-science club... i really wasn`t up to doing too many extracurricular activities my first two years (but hearing on how my next 4 years are going to be tough, i wish i had done more).

14. LittleMissB

LittleMissB Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Work:
    -Pharmacy clerk 26 hours per week while taking 20 units throughout senior year

Extra-curricular:
    -Research assistant to postdoctoral mentor in Department of Psychiatry at UCI School of Medicine
    -College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) advanced tutor in biochemistry
    -CRLA advanced tutor in molecular biology

15. clarrkkent

clarrkkent Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    WOW! I feel like a loser looking at everyone's EC's. :oops:

I don't know how in the world I could fit anymore in my schedule between working 40+ hours as a central supply tech/core tech(going on two years) and taking lab classes on top of lab classes.

It's not as though I have a choice since I have to support myself.

Since I'm a rookie on this forum I have to ask, will the lack of EC's hurt me in admissions or will the fact that I balanced full time work, academics, and supported myself make up for it?

16. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I highly recommend you getting involved with something

17. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That is definately a factor. Working full time and going to school full time is nothing to sneeze at. Adcoms understand that. They also know when people do stuff just to pad their resume :rolleyes:

Maybe you could do one volunteering EC, one day a month. Not a lot but better than nothing. Pick something you genuinely want to do. Visit nursing homes, help at the Boys and Girls club, whatever. OR just use EC's from high school or earlier in your life. I didn't have many ECs because I also worked full time and did school full time. All my EC's were several years old because of this, and it didn't matter. :thumbup:

And every school is different. Some may place a lot of weight on ECs and some may only care about grades and PCAT. As always its about the whole package they look at. Every school is going to place differing importance on different things. Lack of ECs alone is not going to keep you out of Pharmacy school.

18. Poland

Poland As strong as me
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I really wish there were more opportunites around here for volunteering in healthcare and pharmacy. I believe that if I inquired about shadowing a pharmacist and technicians at a local drug store, they would roll their eyes or simply think I am asking if I can have a job there.

I will definetly find something, but it rings loud for me that I don't like living in these small towns.

19. clarrkkent

clarrkkent Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for the advice, but easier said then done. Working graveyard and then going to lecture for 3-4 hours a day, two 3 hour labs, and hmwk/assignments barely gives me 5 hours of sleep a night. I routinely go 30+ hours without sleep 1-2 times a week. Weekends don't exist for me.

Oh well, if any school can't understand the need to put a roof over my head, put food on the table, and pay for school then quite frankly I don't care to attend muchless be part of a profession whose leaders frown on those that are self-motivated, hard working, persistent people.

It would be a different story if I had parents that would/could pay or scholarships were available to me, but some of us just don't have those luxuries.

20. LittleMissB

LittleMissB Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    clarrkkent, I can see someone with your circumstances totally getting accepted to schools. I have friends of all sorts who make it into great programs: all grades / no EC, so-so grades / lots of EC, and those who dabble in both. I suppose maybe you fall into the first category I mentioned? I think if you make it a point on your supplementaries to emphasize your work experience and your struggles to send yourself to school / put food on the table, it'll be implicit that you had no time for ECs and you'll stand out among others because of the challenges you've faced.

21. pokey83

pokey83 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    ER Tech @ hospital
    Pharmacy Tech @ Express Scripts Pharmaceuticals
    Research Tech @ Temple Pharmacy SChool-Pharmacogenomics Lab (present)
    Teaching Assistant for Organic Chem labs and BioChem Labs

Student Government Association
    ACS(chemistry society)
    USTA(Tennis association)
    Chem Club(VP)
    CHEMISTRY WEEK--Science Fair Judge (2 yrs)

Volunteer- Sci-Port (science bldg...work with kids)

There is more, i just can't seem to remember right now. But those are the more important ones.

Interview @ Temple--1/30.....MCPH Worcester(just got the letter, need to call for a date)..........Any advice guys!!!!!!!!